Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Parrotfish
Picking up on this thread, I wonder what would be the best option for a young family of 4 over Christmas? It pains me to put the RC at the top of the list, but I don't see anything else. Peninsula I placed second. I am not comfortable with either. The fact that they are foreign chains bother me. Tokyo Midtown may have a big Christmas tree, but it is too close to Roppongi crossing for a wholesome family occasion. Is there really nothing better in Tokyo? Kind of like MO in HK or Bristol in Paris?

For me the locations of Conrad, PH, FS(M) and MO are all problematic for tourists.
Tokyo has excellent hotels, so don't let staying in a foreign place bother you. If it does, you could always pick the Imperial (or the Okura) which are Japanese. But they're really not as nice as the western chains.

Nothing's wrong with Roppongi Crossing with a family. We stayed at the GHT and had no problems in Roppongi. Location was pretty good for tourists as its on a good metro line (Hibiya) as well as a less good one (Toei Oedo).

R-C seems fine for location, as does Peninsula. I think the MO would also be pretty good and FS Maranouchi is right at Tokyo Station which is quite convenient. PHT is, IMO, out of the way for tourists.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the RC is not that well regarded here, as is clear from this thread.

IIRC no Japanese chain property has ever been said to be comparable to the major luxury chain properties.

four seasons marunouchi
premier room 4th nt free $380 (2 double)
premier room $630 (2 double)

ritz carlton
club room $600 (2 double)

peninsula
winter escapes pkg (connecting rooms, incl upgrade if avail)
dlx room + dlx corner room $1250
(> dlx park view room + executive suite)
dlx park room + exec suite $1480
(> grand dlx room + dlx suite)

mandarin oriental
2 dlx rooms $1060 (not sure about connecting)

four seasons chinzan-so
japanese suite $1165 (1>5 single futons)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 9, 2008 at 4:41 pm
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The folks on the Japan forum would almost certainly agree with this view: Anyplace in central Tokyo that is a short walk from a decent subway/train stop is well enough located for tourists, especially a family group that will not likely be out late at night when the transit stops.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Parrotfish
Picking up on this thread, I wonder what would be the best option for a young family of 4 over Christmas? It pains me to put the RC at the top of the list, but I don't see anything else. Peninsula I placed second. I am not comfortable with either. The fact that they are foreign chains bother me. Tokyo Midtown may have a big Christmas tree, but it is too close to Roppongi crossing for a wholesome family occasion. Is there really nothing better in Tokyo? Kind of like MO in HK or Bristol in Paris?

For me the locations of Conrad, PH, FS(M) and MO are all problematic for tourists.
I don't think the FSM or MO are poorly located for touristy stuff at all. The Conrad and PH less so and only marginally. If staying at a foreign chain gives you the shpilkes and you want more of a "Japanese" experience, stay at the Imperial or the Okura. Classic hotels, very Japanese in their Western ways, with great service. The Imperial is doing much better and has gone through a complete remodel while retaining its own style. The Okura is a "classic", like walking into a Bond movie, but not for everybody. Personally, I think the lobby of the Okura is one of the finest public spaces ever created.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:58 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the RC is not that well regarded here, as is clear from this thread.

IIRC no Japanese chain property has ever been said to be comparable to the major luxury chain properties.

four seasons marunouchi
premier room 4th nt free $380 (2 double)
premier room $630 (2 double)

ritz carlton
club room $600 (2 double)

peninsula
dlx room & dlx corner room $1150 (connecting)
(winter escapes pkg - can get upgrade to dlx park view room & executive suite if avail)

mandarin oriental
2 dlx rooms $1060 (not sure about connecting)

four seasons chinzan-so
japanese suite $1165 (1>5 single futons)
Many thanks for all the replies, esp. the information on connecting rooms, and the suggestion of a Japanese style room at Chizanso. I had not thought of it. I had to drive out there this morning, and it was painfully far.

FSM is convenient enough, but just not my cup of tea. Nihombashi doesn't convince me either. The nice thing about RC is that it is a short cab ride to virtually anywhere I want to go in Tokyo. Only if Okura had nicer rooms. Mr. Taniguchi did a wonderful job with the lobby, but there is not even a serviced lounge to enough it.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:25 am

The Ritz Carlton is a brand new 5-star hotel in Tokyo ultra-hip and new Tokyo MidTown. It occupies the 45th to the 53rd (top floor ) of the MidTown Tower. I booked for 2 nights as part of my vacation to Tokyo.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by priji
The Ritz Carlton is a brand new 5-star hotel in Tokyo ultra-hip and new Tokyo MidTown. It occupies the 45th to the 53rd (top floor ) of the MidTown Tower.
I didn't know that, thanks for the info.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold+, LH HON, Starw Plat, RC Plat
Just completed my third stay at the RC. Used to be at the Grand Hyatt.
Rooms are bigger than the GH as are the bathrooms.
Also stayed in an Millenium and an Excutive Suite. Both spacious with the Millenium having an unusual layout. First the bathroom (with window), the bedroom followed by the living area.

Health club is good with a great pool for a morning swim.

Japanese restaurant offers a selection of areas for different cuisines, sushi, tepenyaki and tempura, all excellent but pricey. Did not try the international restaurant.
Concierge recommended some very good restaurant, bars and jazz clubs in all price ranges.

Nice fleet of Lexus Hybrids available to move around town or for an airport transfer.

Club is nice but a little stiff with few sofas. Practical for breakfast as there are plenty of dinning tables for four guests, if you are six, bad luck!!
Plenty of space but I didn't care for the layout hence my move to a suite.

Midtown complex has a 24 hour supermarket, always handy. Metro/subway is meters from the lobby, no need to go outside.

Not much to dislike, the area as mentionned is full of restaurants and shops.

Pen is suppose to be nice but wrong side of town for me. Color scheme is average but that is a personal issue for the rest, I do enjoy staying there!!
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

All that is fine, but was it truly ultra-hip?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold+, LH HON, Starw Plat, RC Plat
Ultra-hip, never seen an RC do that!! No subtle elegance with a touch of modern design
Old Dec 16, 2007, 12:41 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Golden
Ultra-hip, never seen an RC do that!! No subtle elegance with a touch of modern design
I think perhaps the poster meant Tokyo Midtown was ultra-hip. I'm not sure I would agree but it is certainly closer to that than the RC.

I've stayed at the RC twice in the last few months. Given the price and expectations, there were several service lapses. I think the design is pretty dowdy compared to what it could have been. They were trying to be a bit more hip in keeping with the great design of the building, but couldn't drop the old style RC stuff. While the room is spacious and comfortable, I don't think it comes close to comparing in stylishness to the MO. Also not as stylish as the GH but considerably more spacious.

However, I love the club lounge. It is very spacious and rarely crowded. For business meetings, it is superb. Plenty of staff to bring, coffee, water, and other drinks. Puts the GH club floor to shame.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think replies were to >

Originally Posted by priji
The Ritz Carlton is a brand new 5-star hotel in Tokyo ultra-hip and new Tokyo MidTown. It occupies the 45th to the 53rd (top floor ) of the MidTown Tower. I booked for 2 nights as part of my vacation to Tokyo.
re posts below - yes discussion of RC is in other threads

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 27, 2014 at 5:28 pm
Old Dec 16, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Having wrestled with this question myself, and having stayed at most of the properties noted in the thread, my preference for my family is the Pen. Reasons:

1. Even the standard rooms are very large and well laid out for family purposes.
2. Location generally suits everyone - Marunouchi/Ginza shopping in walking distance; Imperial Palace grounds across the street for runs and playtime; area is generally pedestrian friendly.
3. Excellent subway access with direct access underground (without walking five miles).
4. Pen's pool/spa generally a bit more relaxed and larger than other Tokyo hotels, save the PHT.

I agree with the folks who find the PHT out of the way for most stuff. The GHT is fine, but the rooms are a bit small. The RC is just not to my taste. FS Marunouchi is great, but a pretty adult hotel with limited recreational facilities and a bit of an oddball location (though not out of the way by any means). The Japanese hotels are bit better value for money, but you are looking at pretty poky rooms in most. One interesting alternative if you are in Tokyo for a bit with a family is to consider the Oakwood Apartments in Tokyo Midtown - obviously no five star hotel amenities, but the idea of an apartment might be of interest.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by grumbler
Having wrestled with this question myself, and having stayed at most of the properties noted in the thread, my preference for my family is the Pen. Reasons:

1. Even the standard rooms are very large and well laid out for family purposes.
2. Location generally suits everyone - Marunouchi/Ginza shopping in walking distance; Imperial Palace grounds across the street for runs and playtime; area is generally pedestrian friendly.
3. Excellent subway access with direct access underground (without walking five miles).
4. Pen's pool/spa generally a bit more relaxed and larger than other Tokyo hotels, save the PHT.

I agree with the folks who find the PHT out of the way for most stuff. The GHT is fine, but the rooms are a bit small. The RC is just not to my taste. FS Marunouchi is great, but a pretty adult hotel with limited recreational facilities and a bit of an oddball location (though not out of the way by any means). The Japanese hotels are bit better value for money, but you are looking at pretty poky rooms in most. One interesting alternative if you are in Tokyo for a bit with a family is to consider the Oakwood Apartments in Tokyo Midtown - obviously no five star hotel amenities, but the idea of an apartment might be of interest.
Depending on one's taste, I agree with the above logic (though I haven't stayed at the Pen, I looked at the rooms on my last trip). Regarding the Japanese hotels, I think the Imperial is the best option. If you're spending the kind of money that the RC, Pen, etc, cost, you could get one of the large upgraded rooms. The location can't be beat, and the pool is quite nice. There isn't an elaborate spa along the lines of the newer hotels, but the sauna and ofuro (hot bath), while small, are quite nice and free if you're an Imperial Club member (also free to join).
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:12 pm

Tokyo luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Tokyo soon for leisure, and am deciding between the Shangri-La and Peninsula. Originally had been planning on the Shangri-La, since I got a very good rate via FHR but there is now also a promo at the Pen and the rate is pretty similar (3500JPY more per room per night for a total of 300USD more for the stay). Both are booked via FHR; at the Shangri-La I'm booked into Deluxe room (lead-in category) and in Pen I'm also in a Deluxe (second category).

Is one of these two a clear winner? I've been to Tokyo before and consider the location a toss-up (Ginza probably more fun, but SL will meet us at Tokyo Station and it will be easier to get in/out of Tokyo from SL). Other than just a general thought if one is better, my questions are:
-Does one have nicer rooms at this category? I've seen reviews that imply that rooms are probably pretty equal in quality, although clearly very different in style
-Is breakfast better at one or the other?
-Is pool nicer at one of the two?

Thanks much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.