Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

When the US President comes to your hotel ...

When the US President comes to your hotel ...

Old Sep 8, 2006, 5:34 pm

What an interesting thread! I worked on Capital Hill for a US Senator who ran for nomination as his party's Presidential candidtate, was on the losing end of a Presiential race who feathered him as the VP candidate, ultimately was appointed as the US Sec. Of Treasurer, etc. so this thread brings back many memories during my time as a member of the US Senate staff.

As a business-person today, I agree, avoid the reported high-level political meeting, visits, etc. if at all possible! You will likely be inconvienced at best.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 7:10 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was doing interviews in the club lounge at the Shangri-La when the prime minister of New Zealand was scheduled to take a meeting in one of the conference rooms in the same lounge.

About 25 minutes before she arrived, one (count 'em -- one) security guy showed up. He checked things out, and as we both had extra time, we chatted a bit about New Zealand. Then the P.M. came in with a modest entourage, and went to the meeting room. No inconvenience at all! *SMILE*
Old Sep 9, 2006, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by BobBHX
I was staying at the Hyatt in downtown Houston in 1998 when Clinton was staying in the hotel. Apart from a few burly men in dark suits with wires coming out of their ears hanging around the atrium, the only disruption to normal life was that there were barricades set up about a block around the hotel in each direction. My cab could not get near the hotel and I had to drag my luggage a block and a half to checkin.
I encountered a similar situation in Cleveland in the late 1990s. I had a long wait before my flight, so I decided to go into town on the rapid transit train to have lunch. Walking around on the street, I found the same type of barricades as described above, one block from the Sheraton, where it turns out Clinton was giving a speech. I watched the checkpoint for a couple of minutes - hotel guests who could show their keys were let through, all others had to detour around the blocked area (I guess that arriving guests were out of luck).
Old Sep 12, 2006, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Given the beefed up security, the Chinese TV reporters, and the "Welcome Premier of China" signs carried by outlookers on the sidewalk ...I reckon the Premier of China is at my hotel now in London.

Zero problems, zero hassle so far.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
During the 04 Republican convention in NYC, my apartment building was actually _inside_ the "frozen zone." Had to show special building ID to an assortment of cops and secret service agents to get through the barricades and into my building. Kind of surreal - I've never felt safer, given that there were probably 2-3k armed men and women within two blocks of my home.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
My daughter lives in Georgetown and had to walk by Kerry's house frequently during the last election. The prime interest of the SS in front of the place seemed pretty much on hitting on hotties walking by.

Here in LA when the Pres is going on the freeway, the CHP runs a block on on-ramps and does a traffic block before the motorcade. I was the very last car onto the 405 just before they blocked the entrance, and it was really weird seeing NOTHING behind me for quite some distance except a bunch of zig-zagging CHPpies.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime
My daughter lives in Georgetown and had to walk by Kerry's house frequently during the last election. The prime interest of the SS in front of the place seemed pretty much on hitting on hotties walking by.
mediocre agents because of low threat assessment?

attempt at being covert?

Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:48 pm

I was in La mamounia Marrakesh while Hillary Clinton and Al Gore where there doing a trip of northern Africa. It was of course during the clinton presidency. There was secret service people everywhere, on balconies overlooking the pool (Hillary stayed in one of the couple of villas).

I actually bumped into Al while he was leaving the hotel one day ( he was polite) and Hillary was applauded by guests as she left her villa and had to pass by the swimming pool.

This was pre Amanjena of course.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
I remember back in the nineties, when Clinton made his first visit to Belfast, the local authorities just said yes to everything the Secret Service wanted.

The result was a paralysed city centre and nobody on the streets, his motor cade drove thru a ghost town. Very embarrassing.

It became so obvious beforehand what would happen that many businesses just closed for the day and told everyone to stay home.

In total embarrassment they had to demand that they be allowed to open some areas or he'd be giving his outdoor address that night to a few homeless people in front of City Hall.

At least we were one of the few winners as we delivered a ton of take out to his hotel which was about 200 metres from us.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:29 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Not exactly the US president, but when I was in Malaysia last, the Regent was hosting a trade conference with about 10 Asian countries officials in attendance. I was suprised to see a dozen armed men in front of the hotel and the requirement to go through the metal detector while entering the hotel. Since they are professional security people, all they did was make me walk through a metal detector and ran my luggage through an oversized xray machine. No shoes off, they let me keep my water, and the best...they were polite.

Fortunately I got a couple of doors down from a minister of finance or something and I had a set of guards sitting right outside my door. I felt like I was a governement official!
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

also remember reading about an Asian Prime Minister walking by a bunch of FTers at Shangri La Valley Wing when they were there for a DO
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:28 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Working in hotels in the 80's I was able to see three Presidents Ford,Carter and Regan. I worked out logistics for the Secret service on many occasions. I do remember once they dug under a street to secure the telephone lines needed. I always liked watching the Major carrying the football or briefcase handcuffed to his wrist just sitting nearby.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:04 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TMAYER
I point to my front door and say I live right there so I continue walking (obviously a mistake). He yells "SIR - STOP RIGHT THERE" and moves to draw his weapon <snip>... He actually drew his weapon on a car that inadvertently turned down the street and made the driver get out of the car in the middle of the street and stand there for 10 minutes with no umbrella or anything - they driver was in a sports coat and could not have gotten any wetter if he had jumped in a pool.
Yup, that's the land of the free, for sure.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Seems like (former) POTUS Obama and family are at the FS in Bali http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-holiday.html

Wonder if they will stay at Amanjiwo as well
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:28 pm

We were at the IC Howard St SF when Obama stayed on his first visit to the city on becoming president - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12716169-post354.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.