Tipping housekeepers?

Old Apr 4, 2005, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by catwings01
I think salaries for room attendants vary widely, depending on the location. In NYC, for example, room attendants make about $17 per hour - not minimum wage by any means and certainly more than tip employees earn. I agree with an earlier post that although attendants work as hard or harder than bellmen or waiters their wage is not based on tip earnings.
Isn't $17/hour the miniumum wage in NYC? Okay, it sounds pretty good but I bet that a tip job in a hotel nets more than a housekeeper anyday. In any case $17 does not go far in NY.
Old May 26, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
OK, so is $5 per day the average for a US Four Seasons? Do you leave it every day or at the beginning or end of the trip?

A more specific question? Do you do something special if you are staying at a hotel over the festive season between Christmas and New years?
Old May 26, 2009, 2:14 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
If I am in a room (as opposed to a suite) at a luxury hotel in the US I tend to leave $5 per day -- more if the room is messier than normal. If I am in a suite, I leave more, $10 - $20 per day depending upon the size of the suite AND the relationship I have with the hotel.

Since I tend to tip fairly generously (I think, at least) to housekeeping I don't normally do anything special for them over Holiday periods. I do tend to do something for any key contacts I have at the hotel (be it a Manager and/or Concierge).
Old May 26, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by mktozd
OK, so is $5 per day the average for a US Four Seasons? Do you leave it every day or at the beginning or end of the trip?

A more specific question? Do you do something special if you are staying at a hotel over the festive season between Christmas and New years?
I leave $5 every day in a luxury property.
I used to leave it at the end of my stay and realized it could be someone different cleaning my room that one day who is the beneficiary instead of the person who cleaned it the previous 3 days.
Old May 26, 2009, 9:46 pm

I used to work as a bellboy when I was in college(which is abt 10 years ago). I'm based in Singapore. When guests tip me, I feel like I don't know what to do with the money. To a certain extent, I felt insulted. I'm helping you because it is my job and I am proud doing that. Giving me a tip makes me feel more inferior and sort of insults my professionalism. Makes me feel like a money-grabbing beggar. We used to talk among ourselves abt this tipping thing in the backroom when we are having our break and we all agreed that it is uncalled for.

So before you tip somebody, especially in Asian culture, please be sensitive.
Old May 27, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Thank you, I have to admit, that while I am a good tipper to waiters, doormen, concierge, housekeeping is an area that I have typically overlooked. Thank you for the heads up.
Old May 27, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I usually leave a tip and a little note before I check out.
Old May 29, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
We generally leave $5 per day. In most cases I will leave it on the pillow although I have given it to them in person. Last weekend we were at the Renaissance in Charleston SC. I thought it was interesting that an envelope was provided with the name of the housekeeper
Old May 31, 2009, 10:48 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
In Asia, it is typical for the hotel to charge a 10% service fee on top of the room rate. As such, I consider this to cover all gratuities and I do not leave any gratuity at all when in Asia.

Originally Posted by RA-wannabe
I used to work as a bellboy when I was in college(which is abt 10 years ago). I'm based in Singapore. When guests tip me, I feel like I don't know what to do with the money. To a certain extent, I felt insulted. I'm helping you because it is my job and I am proud doing that. Giving me a tip makes me feel more inferior and sort of insults my professionalism. Makes me feel like a money-grabbing beggar. We used to talk among ourselves abt this tipping thing in the backroom when we are having our break and we all agreed that it is uncalled for.

So before you tip somebody, especially in Asian culture, please be sensitive.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Nope, I don't want the cleaning staff to think there is an American staying in that room.

You got that right!
Old Jun 14, 2009, 7:00 pm
HCA

I usually left $1-$2 pay day/per person depend on the work I need (how messy).
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by observer
I passionately feel that tips should be left. To my mind, the housekeepers have one of the hardest jobs in a hotel. And they generally make little more than minimum wage. If I can afford $300/night for a hotel, I can surely afford $5 for the housekeeper.
There is really no should or shouldnot for tip. If they do the job, yes, and if they don't, no.

Just stayed at the RC San Francisco. First night, at the turndown service, no chocolates, no refill of toiletries, no refill of ice, although it did have two bottles of water and make up the bed. No tip.

Second night, I was actually in the room when the maid came for turndown, maid ask me what kind of chocolate do I want, and she gave me 5 pieces from each. Offer to refill of ice, gave me extra toiletries since I told her I really like Bvlgari, so I gave her a $5 bill. And she is really happy. I did ask about why there was not chocolate previous night, she said probably the turndown was done from the day time staff, they forgot the box and didn't bother to go back to take it on the cart.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United 1mm, AA 1mm
As a frequent hotel stay-er in Asia, I never leave a gratuity for the hotel staff. I don't think its necessary, and in most instances they do not accept. I remember on one of my first stays at Tokyo Park Hyatt, I left a 2000 yen tip for a few day stay, and the hotel actually mailed it back to me with a nice note saying that I "Forgot" it in the room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.