Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Arts - Barcelona, Spain

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2004, 4:15 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post Hotel Arts - Barcelona, Spain

The search function for this forum did not bring up a specific thread on this property, so I decided to start one. My apologies if there is one somewhere that I have failed to dig up.

After reading a lot of great information all over FT (special thanks to alanw ^ ) I dediced to book myself into a Suite at this property.

Im looking for some comments, reviews and overall sharing of experiences from those of you that have stayed at this hotel. There were some pretty decent rates offered on the hotel's website, but instead of playing the upgrade game I just decided to go ahead and book an executive suite.

Not being a regular at Ritz Carltons, I would like to know what sort of upgrade policy they have for paid Suite rates. The Arts has a (to me) somewhat odd way of denominating their rooms, so considering Im already booked for an Executive Suite, Im not sure what type of room I could be upgraded to.... perhaps some specialty suite? Are Club Executive Suites a level above regular Exec. Suites? (if so, some insight on the differences would be greatly appreciated). I cant seem to find anything other than the Presidential Suite (I of course will take that upgrade with no discussion ). The Japanese Suite sounds interesting.... although I cant tell if its considered an upgrade from a deluxe room or if its a special sort of regular room catered for Japanese guests.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Gaucho

Last edited by Gaucho100K; May 25, 2004 at 4:18 am Reason: typo correction(s)
Old May 25, 2004, 8:15 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Thumbs up

The difference between a Club Exec Suite and a Exec Suite is that you have access or your room is on the Club Level of the hotel. RC makes it a little tough to find, but there is plenty of info about it on their website.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/hotels/ba...lub_level.html

The Club Levels at RCs are one of the key differentiators of RCs versus its competition. The overall service level is high and food served is consistently of good quality and is plentiful. It does not matter if you are there for business or leisure, you will want to be on the Club Level.
Old May 25, 2004, 3:08 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
I've stayed at The Hotel Arts in total 7-8 times over the years, and believe me, they are one of THE toughest properties I've ever encountered regarding upgrades that matter.
The Exec. suites (very nice, but not necesarily worth the extra money) are located on the corners from floor 19 and upwards to 33, the latter 3-4 floors being Club level). The RC considers seaview an "upgrade" compared to partial seaview, and most of the time that's as far as I've gotten,even when using Amex Centurion rates. Club level upgrades are extremely hard to come by, but definetely worth it as you by definition don't need to fork out anything for any meals (But then again you'd miss some of the worlds greatest restaurants and innovative meals, wouldn't you...).

Great pool area, especially this time of the year when it's not too hot.
Old May 26, 2004, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks very much for the information... ^
Old May 28, 2004, 7:25 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
The Arts has an awesome breakfast/brunch buffet and a small pool area where you can chill, especially when it is not too full. Depending on when you are there, another advantage is that you can walk to some decent beaches with great chillout areas at night. Soon enough it should be warm enough during the day to swim there, actually, and there might also be some eye candy there .

It's a great hotel - but it's down at the port in a very touristy area.

Again, I can also recommend the AC Diplomatic and possibly the Majestic (not part of a chain) (I think they are both 5-star hotels also), which are both located close to Paseo de Gracia (walking distance to the Ramblas, to Casa Batllo, etc.), which I would consider a somewhat better location than the Arts hotel's. (During the past two years, I spent close to 20 weeks in at least 8 different hotels in Barcelona).
Old May 30, 2004, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Gracias abogado...
Old May 30, 2004, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

(bumping this up)
Old May 30, 2004, 11:36 pm

Is it worth paying extra for the American Express Fine Hotel and Resort rate of 480 euro or do I do just as well as booking the "quality room" rate of 280 euro below?:

Hotel Arts Barcelona

Barcelona, Spain

Check-in Date: June 27, 2004 (Sunday)
Check-out Date: June 28, 2004 (Monday) Number of Guests: 1

Currency Calculator >>

The rates listed below are also offered at this hotel.

Room Description Rate

QUALITY ROOM 280.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
SPECIAL DISCOUNT ** DELUXE (ONE KING OR TWO DBL BEDS)

WATER VIEW 450.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
CORPORATE RATE SEA VIEW ** DELUXE ROOM ** 1 KING OR 2 DBL LARGE ROOM OFFERING STUNNING MEDITERRANEAN SEA VIEW

QUALITY ROOM 375.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
CORPORATE RATE * DELUXE ROOM (1 KING/2 DBLS)-LARGE ROOM OFFERINGSTUNNING CITY VIEWS - 485 SQ FEET

SUITE - EXECUTIVE 490.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
CORPORATE RATE ** EXECUTIVE SUITE ( 1 KING BED/2 DBLS)-STUNNING CITY VIEWS WITH LIVING AREA -LOCATED FROM 19TH TO 29TH FLOOR

DELUXE WATER VIEW ROOM 565.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
CORPORATE RATE SEA VIEW ** EXECUTIVE SUITE ** 1 KING BED ONLY ROOM AND LIVING AREA-LOCATED FROM 19TH TO 29TH FLOOR

CLUB LEVEL ROOM 525.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
CORPORATE RATE * CLUB ROOM * 1 KING / 2 DBLS - LOCATED FROM 30TH TO 33RD FLOOR - ACCESS TO CLUB LOUNGE

1 BEDROOM APARTMENT 1200.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT**CORPORATE RATE**ONE KING SIZE BED** STUNNING CITY AND SEA VIEWS** FROM 34TH TO 40TH FLOOR

QUALITY ROOM 475.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
REGULAR RATE * DELUXE ROOM ( 1 KING/2 DBLS)-LARGE ROOM OFFERING STUNNING CITY VIEWS 485 SQ FEET-RATE IS QUOTED IN EURO-

DELUXE WATER VIEW ROOM 665.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
REGULAR RATE * EXECUTIVE SUITE SEAVIEW (ONLY KING BED) ROOM W/LIVING AREA-645 SQ FEET-LOCATED FROM 19TH TO 29TH FLOOR

CLUB LEVEL ROOM 630.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
REGULAR RATE * CLUB ROOM (1 KING/2 DDBLS)* LOCATED FROM 30TH TO 33RD FLOOR** 485SQ FEET -ACCESS TO CLUB LOUNGE

MONARCH - PENTHOUSE 10000.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
ROYAL SUITE ** TWO BEDROOM APT AND ONE SERVICE ROOM** ONE KING BED EACH ROOM**STUNNING CITY AND SEA VIEW ** 42ND FLOOR

OCEANFRONT PENTHOUSE 2 BEDROOMS 1800.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
TWO BEDROOM APARTMENT ** CORPORATE RATE ** ONE KING BED IN EACH ROOM**STUNNING CITY AND SEA VIEW**FROM 34TH TO 40TH FLOOR

POOL VIEW PENTHOUSE 2 BEDROOMS 2400.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
THREE BEDROOM APARTMENT**CORPORATE RATE**ONE KING BED IN EACH BEDROM**STUNNING CITY AND SEA VIEW**FROM 34TH TO 40TH FLOOR

RITZ CARLTON SUITE 1750.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
REGULAR RATE*PRESIDENTIAL SUITE*LOCATED CLUB LEVEL 32 FLOOR *LARGE LIVING AREA AND MARBLE BATHROOM*2000 SQ FEET

SUITE 1750.00 (EUR) per night Rate Rules Select
REGULAR RATE * JAPANESE SUITE * LOCATED CLUB LEVEL 30TH FLOOR ONE KING BED*LARGE LIVING ROOM * 1760 SQ FEET

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Old May 30, 2004, 11:40 pm

FYI...you can book this as reward through Marriott at 50,000 a night and i think the rate drops a little where three nights are 140,000. But you can book it at 45,000 membership reward points a night direct from amex.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Got upgraded to a 'specialty' Club Suite... ^

Excellent hotel (in terms of service), although there are some 'interesting' issues regarding the finishings, etc.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA-exp, 4MM, MR-plat, Hertz-PC, WN-CP
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Got upgraded to a 'specialty' Club Suite... ^

Excellent hotel (in terms of service), although there are some 'interesting' issues regarding the finishings, etc.
Would love to hear more as we are going there for our first visit in early July.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 6:12 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
First timer at RC BCN next week...

I'll be visiting this property next week for several nights. How is the top restaurant at the hotel?

Any other thoughts on the property would be appreciated.

I'll be part of a banker's conference taking over the hotel.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 9:58 am
Original Poster

The top restaurant is called Enoteca Bombacci. I had dinner there and was quite pleased. Its relatively good value for money. The setting is nice, and the staff very attentive. Go for the tasting menu, you will be fine.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:00 am
Original Poster

For a little more on this hotel:

Club Lounge at the Arts is quite nice, with complementary Bfast, cocktails, snacks, etc. The views are nice, and the sitting area quite comfortable. You also have concierges on hand to help you with any special needs, including basic business center issues. Its a nice plus if you can get a Club room.

I must say I was surprised at the overall low quality of the woodwork and bathroom fixtures. Also, the furniture is dated and not stylish. It all kinds doesnt fit with the RC image and the fact they have high end electronics (B&O) in the rooms.... I guess they went over budget and started to cut down heavily....?
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
The Arts is spectacular, but the location is less than ideal for most, IMHO.

For getting a feel for Barcelona, something near the Ramblas or Plaza Catalunya are preferrable. Le Meridien is very well located and a first class property, though the views don't compare to the Arts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.