Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Do you consider double vanities necessary for a Luxury hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you consider double vanities necessary for a Luxury hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Grand Hyatt is kind of interesting as it manages to wear two hats, so to speak. If you are an engaged regular guest, the service level is unquestionably "luxury." F&B is also of a very high standard and the hotel's best restaurants such as The Oak Door, Shunbou, Roku Roku, Keiyakizaka, and Fiorentina are very good, they even have a loyal following of locals, including myself when I lived in Tokyo. Maduro is a wonderful bar. I won't comment on China Room and French Kitchen, except to say that there are much better options and I wouldn't recommend either in particular... I hate to say it as the hotel has a special place in my heart due to my many good experiences there, but those two outlets need improvement.

On the other hand the Grand Hyatt suffers from the same perils of any larger hotel. It caters to business travelers on low corporate rates, groups, and large events, etc... So they way most guests experience it, it's more of a good high four star hotel.

Don't let this dissuade you from trying it, because it has got so many good things going for it. Just be sure to book a larger club room, or one of their Executive suites with a great view. And visit the F&B outlets I recommended above (avoiding the other two exceptions)...

Shangri-la is a "luxury" hotel, but there it also matters to some extent how you book and what category you have, just as with many/most other city hotels. If you're a club level guest, or take a Premier (corner) room, rest assured that you'll have a very good experience. The standard rooms are perfectly acceptable for single occupancy, but if you want the "luxury" to be kicked up a notch, I think Premier or higher is definitely the way to go. Sweeping panoramic views, total tranquility, etc... F&B is fantastic, definitely make a point of trying Piacere for dinner and the Teppanyaki counter at Nadaman.

At both hotels, the city's best restaurants are a walk away, or short taxi/train/subway ride. So nothing to worry about in that regard. A big advantage of S-L (and FS Marunouchi) is the direct access to Tokyo station if using Narita Express or Shinkansen etc... But, GH and R-C etc... are also convenient if you just take a short cab ride.

Try both! And especially try Ritz-Carlton club level, which will knock your socks off even in comparison to these other very good hotels.
Thanks for your recommendation, I agree with you also I understand about that cooperate low rate part for convention/business people comparing to us leisure traveler lol, that is one of the reason I try to avoid large or very business/convention type /upscale chain if I am looking for a more luxurious or memorable stay for that trip. I will keep in mind , but if the price is the same, i hope I can try some other more modern luxury hotel in Tokyo.
I am looking for Hyatt Regency Kyoto this time, but the rate is kind really high for my departure date.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
I understand about that cooperate low rate part for convention/business people comparing to us leisure traveler lol, that is one of the reason I try to avoid large or very business/convention type /upscale chain
Originally Posted by erik123
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Four Seasons may have parity across all retail booking channels, but it certainly also has lots of corporate and group rates.
In some cases up to 70% lower.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
agree, can be about choosing room/suite category (rather than "luxury hotel chains" & "luxury hotels")
Bathroom configuration has a huge connection with category of room booked. When I've stayed at the Lanesborough for work rather than with my family I'll book the lead in which, with the guaranteed upgrade through Oetker Pearl, gets me a Deluxe Room which has either a shower over the bath or a separate shower. As I'm not a huge fan of baths (or more to the point I hate showers over a bath) I always ask to be allocated one with a separate shower. The double vanity has never been the deal breaker for me it's always the shower setup.

Last edited by jp-mco; Aug 30, 2017 at 8:10 am
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:08 am

And Four Seasons does not even have rate parity in all cases. I can think of some cases where third party OTAs have had significantly lower rates than FS published. Sometimes one needs to be able to read the local language or the language of a targeted market segment to become aware of this...😉

It is still my preference to deal directly with the property or an FSPP. But if they will not or cannot match the lower rate, or if it's too much trouble to bother, I am forced to book through the OTA in such cases. Fortunately as a repeat guest the service experience is the same regardless of booking channel.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jonjparr, agreed. hotels need to publish details for room categories. then one can avoid certain categories containing rooms that are not preferred. for those who want guarantee, it would be nice if rooms didnt vary within category, or allowed booking specific room, but understandable why that is not a common offering.

some here only book entry level: can impact hotel choice when rooms in entry category vary
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I can't stand hotels that don't advertise correctly. W-A Amsterdam, where we just checked out, advertised double vanities for all room types, even entry-level. On closer examination via TripAdvisor pictures, entry-level rooms indeed were single vanity. I would have been none the wiser had I not checked in more detail and changed my reservation accordingly to a few categories up (p.s. - the stay was fantastic).
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Four Seasons may have parity across all retail booking channels, but it certainly also has lots of corporate and group rates.
In some cases up to 70%
>>>

Yeah, in some cases. And please show evidence if you would like to further discussing about this numbers.

Also, this has a lot to do with location. But mostly my experience is that MO or Four Seasons does not have cooperate booking ration over that numbers.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
Thanks for your recommendation, I agree with you also I understand about that cooperate low rate part for convention/business people comparing to us leisure traveler lol, that is one of the reason I try to avoid large or very business/convention type /upscale chain if I am looking for a more luxurious or memorable stay for that trip. I will keep in mind , but if the price is the same, i hope I can try some other more modern luxury hotel in Tokyo.
I am looking for Hyatt Regency Kyoto this time, but the rate is kind really high for my departure date.
If you book Hyatt Regency Kyoto, be sure to book via a Virtuoso agent. It adds a significant amount of value at this property and will likely get you upgraded.

If rates are unusually high at HR Kyoto, maybe it's a high demand period. You could look at Ritz-Carlton, Suiran, and Four Seasons to see what the rate difference might be to book one of these instead.

The Westin Miyako is also a good choice in its higher category accommodation. You could have a look at its thread in the SPG forum.

If Kyoto accommodation is very expensive due to peak demand, I actually like to stay at Ritz-Carlton Osaka and then take the train in to Kyoto for a few dinners and/or sightseeing. But I'm not a tourist in Japan, travel solo, and like Osaka nightlife...so what works for me may not work for a tourist wanting the full Kyoto experience.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
With Hyatt points now once again on sale, the Hyatt Kyoto using redemption would be under $150/night which is more then reasonable except when it's out of the price range of some.

If you book Hyatt Regency Kyoto, be sure to book via a Virtuoso agent. It adds a significant amount of value at this property and will likely get you upgraded.

If rates are unusually high at HR Kyoto, maybe it's a high demand period. You could look at Ritz-Carlton, Suiran, and Four Seasons to see what the rate difference might be to book one of these instead.

The Westin Miyako is also a good choice in its higher category accommodation. You could have a look at its thread in the SPG forum.

If Kyoto accommodation is very expensive due to peak demand, I actually like to stay at Ritz-Carlton Osaka and then take the train in to Kyoto for a few dinners and/or sightseeing. But I'm not a tourist in Japan, travel solo, and like Osaka nightlife...so what works for me may not work for a tourist wanting the full Kyoto experience.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:50 am

I'd go with Virtuoso, with an award you might end up in a last sell room, and definitely will not be upgraded or have any other inclusions unless top status.

Always better to be paying a rate and earning points/night credit (for those who care about such things) as opposed to purchasing an award room by buying points. There's also flexibility and cancellation policies to consider. And Virtuoso does improve guest recognition in Japan, at least if one is a first time guest compared to someone else without a profile.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
And yet, there are some extremely expensive, and otherwise very good hotels with such bathrooms in certain lower categories. This can be the case in historical properties, or in city hotels where space is at a premium due to design limitations. While not suitable for longer stays, leisure stays, or for double occupancy, such lead-in rooms can be okay for one night stopovers and particularly for business travelers, who may have no time or desire to take a bath anyway.

Four Seasons New York, years ago, had shower only in base rooms. This is still the case, but they very wisely rebranded those rooms as ADA rooms (since these guests are obviously less likely to use a bathtub anyway...).

While I do not particularly like a tub/shower combination, I can live with it if I otherwise really like the hotel. And, if this is the case, any good hotel should strive to provide excellent shower heads, as well as a hand shower, which is absolutely essential. The best shower heads in my experience, and actually the ones I have installed at home, are from the German brand Grohe.

Now a pet peeve of mine that I cannot abide is inadequate water pressure. I recently had a stay at a long time favorite hotel, and always appreciate how the deep soaking bathtub seems to fill almost instantly. And when showering, you can use the Grohe rain shower, hand shower, or both, with luxuriously powerful water pressure.
I'm OK although not really happy about bathrooms with only a shower stall if the shower stall is big and luxurious, for example a spa like rain shower. I know a hotel that has a special room category with some sort of steam jets in the shower as well as about eight shower jets and another hotel that has some rooms with saunas and just showers.

In fact, a luxury hotel I like has a few junior suites with tiny shower stalls (and tiny bathtub shower combinations in other junior suites), but the bathrooms are unique and distinctive so that the overall effect is still luxurious for one person.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm OK although not really happy about bathrooms with only a shower stall if the shower stall is big and luxurious, for example a spa like rain shower. I know a hotel that has a special room category with some sort of steam jets in the shower as well as about eight shower jets and another hotel that has some rooms with saunas and just showers.

In fact, a luxury hotel I like has a few junior suites with tiny shower stalls (and tiny bathtub shower combinations in other junior suites), but the bathrooms are unique and distinctive so that the overall effect is still luxurious for one person.
Yes, exactly. Sometimes nothing can be done about structural limitations that preclude separate tub and stall shower. But, there still are ways that hotels can make those bathrooms luxurious, to the point even where one can overlook their shortcomings.

For me, like you, excellent shower heads are esssential. And there's no excuse for any good hotel to not have them, as they are easy enough to install in any bathroom layout. Steam shower, multiple shower heads for body, bench to sit in shower stall, etc... are all things I appreciate.

And, if there is a tub, it should be deep soaking up to your neck, comfortable, and have a hand held shower head even if there is a separate stall shower.

A lot of my favorite hotels are historical properties with a lot of character, so I don't expect modular en serie bathrooms, in fact I don't always like them - with the notable exception of some of Peninsula's gorgeous bathrooms that are uniform throughout all standard rooms and suites. What I are about is QUALITY. Has the hotel done the best it can in the availabile space to make the bathroom user friendly? Are they showing me that they understand and care about details that make a difference? That's what I look for.

An important touch can be freshly cut flowers in the bathroom. Also, the towels and robes, mirrors, etc... Places to conveniently plug in rechargeable toothbrushes and shavers, etc..."small" details that add up to make a big difference!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, exactly. Sometimes nothing can be done about structural limitations that preclude separate tub and stall shower. But, there still are ways that hotels can make those bathrooms luxurious, to the point even where one can overlook their shortcomings.

For me, like you, excellent shower heads are esssential. And there's no excuse for any good hotel to not have them, as they are easy enough to install in any bathroom layout. Steam shower, multiple shower heads for body, bench to sit in shower stall, etc... are all things I appreciate.

And, if there is a tub, it should be deep soaking up to your neck, comfortable, and have a hand held shower head even if there is a separate stall shower.

A lot of my favorite hotels are historical properties with a lot of character, so I don't expect modular en serie bathrooms, in fact I don't always like them - with the notable exception of some of Peninsula's gorgeous bathrooms that are uniform throughout all standard rooms and suites. What I are about is QUALITY. Has the hotel done the best it can in the availabile space to make the bathroom user friendly? Are they showing me that they understand and care about details that make a difference? That's what I look for.

An important touch can be freshly cut flowers in the bathroom. Also, the towels and robes, mirrors, etc... Places to conveniently plug in rechargeable toothbrushes and shavers, etc..."small" details that add up to make a big difference!
All of the above and then I like when the toiletries/cosmetic amenities are of high quality. Something you'd be likely to have at home or want to take home. Thick cotton pads that don't disintegrate in one swipe, for example.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:19 am

The best shower heads in my experience, and actually the ones I have installed at home, are from the German brand Grohe.
We have Grohe fixtures in our guest bathrooms and I agree they're excellent quality. If you like Grohe then should take a look at Dornbracht which we put in our master bath. They're also German, handmade and excellent design and quality!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
This is completely off topic and I apologize in advance, but can you guys tell me if these Grohe shower fixtures have excellent water pressure? We are currently renovating our master bath at home and are picking out hardware right now. I have always bought Speakman shower heads because you can remove a small rubber o ring to triple the water pressure. Should I look at Grohe?

On the actual topic at hand, I really prefer having dual sinks in our hotel rooms. My wife travels with her own toiletries etc and takes forever to get ready. It is nice to have two sinks, but it certainly not a deal breaker as long as the rest of the hotel is fantastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.