Wiki Posts
Search

Capri (Italy) Hotel Dilemma- Case Morgano or La Minerva

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF, DL, AZ, JAL, JB, AMEX, STARWOOD
Capri (Italy) Hotel Dilemma- Case Morgano or La Minerva

My wife and I will be traveling to Capri next summer (2018) for about a week. We were hoping to stay at La Scalinatella, but it's been impossible to book, even a year + in advance.

Instead, we have the opportunity book either Casa Morgano or La Minerva. (We have left Quisisana off the list (too resorty, families, not ideal location), and Punta Tragara (likewise seems too resorty and we prefer the classic Amalfi décor to the contemporary design of PT).

We tend to enjoy top notch properties (e.g. we are staying at Il San Pietro for the 2nd week, after Capri), and we like a bit of a dolce vita scene. We also like properties that are well cared for and in good condition.

Morgano would be our clear choice between these two, except that I've read reviews about the property being in poor condition. Also, the pool looks small and blah. If we could use the pool at Scalinatella (which is a sister property, next door) it would address this concern, but I have read some reviewers say you can, and some say you can't. (Does anyone know definitively?)

La Minerva looks like a very nice property in great condition with wonderful owners. However, it seems a bit small and quiet. I also take the (excellent) reviews of La Minerva on another (more widely read) travel site with a grain of salt and wonder if it is truly a top tier luxury experience.

Any insight or recent visits to these properties would be most helpful.

Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:36 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Avoid Morgano if you can..... I don't know Minvera. Did you try JK or Tiberio Palace?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I had a good experience in the Quisisana, in a room (probably a junior suite in terms of category) with a sea view and a huge balcony, although I was there somewhat early in the season. To me, the location seems good for dolce vita. My only complaint was the wait for luggage to be delivered to my room when I was eager to hit the swimming pool. IIRC it was a FHR booking.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF, DL, AZ, JAL, JB, AMEX, STARWOOD
Thanks for these responses.

The location of JK is not ideal for us. We prefer to be closer to the center.
Regarding Tibero Palace, we stayed there on a prior visit when it was the Marriott and we really disliked it. I know it's been re-done, but we prefer to try somewhere else with more of an authentic Amalfi Coast vibe.

I welcome thoughts from others regarding Morgano v. La Minerva.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by ABG
Avoid Morgano if you can..... I don't know Minvera. Did you try JK or Tiberio Palace?
Loved Tiberio Palace. The larger suites are exceptional. Only issue is the pool. which is a bit small and doesn't get such great sun.

Having a Kosher Restaurant with authentic Italian Cuisine was a big plus for us.

Francesca Tozzi, the GM is wonderful and took care of everything we asked with an added touch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.