Search

Playing in the Sand - Who's going?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Playing in the Sand - Who's going?

Dead and Company: Playing in the Sand

http://playinginthesand.com/

I figured since Banyan Tree and Rosewood were the first two hotels to sell out, there must be some Luxury Hotels forum regulars who booked?

We ended up in a Barcelo Palace suite, which will be nice since we don't have to take a bus back and forth for the concerts each night.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:01 pm

Ha ha, I never figured you for a DeadHead, LarkSFO.

We won't be there - this sounds like my personal 7th or 8th circle of hell - but for those who are into it, such as yourself, I bet it will be an incredible experience!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Not a true DeadHead (I never saw Jerry play), but their music has grown on my partner and I. Being halfway between Phil's place (Terrapin) and Bob' place (Sweetwater) we get exposed to lots of music. Plus.

I thought their may be some cross pollination between FT and this event, I guess not.

We'll take care of it on behalf of the FT community.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:08 am

Have a fantastic time!
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I have toying with going to some of the Dave Matthews or Widespread Panic shows down there the last few years. I have heard they are great fun.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I would love to go, but that is busy weekend for me at work. I started seeing the Dead and Phish in the early nineties. Lots of great travel memories, including two tours in Europe
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
I would love to go, but that is busy weekend for me at work. I started seeing the Dead and Phish in the early nineties. Lots of great travel memories, including two tours in Europe
That's what I'm talking about... Sounds like an amazing time!

Did you follow Phish's Bakers Dozen shows at MSG?

@Valveking - Have seen Widespread Panic a number of times. Love their shows. Panic en la Playa looks like fun! If this Dead and Co show goes well, I am sure we'll be back.

Our next-ish stop is to check out Red Rocks one of these days. Maybe SCI?

Enjoy the eclipse.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
That's what I'm talking about... Sounds like an amazing time!

Did you follow Phish's Bakers Dozen shows at MSG?

@Valveking - Have seen Widespread Panic a number of times. Love their shows. Panic en la Playa looks like fun! If this Dead and Co show goes well, I am sure we'll be back.

Our next-ish stop is to check out Red Rocks one of these days. Maybe SCI?

Enjoy the eclipse.
I did my best to follow along - what a run!. It's one of my favorite venues to see shows and I was bummed that I couldn't make any of them. Maybe NYE.

Red Rocks is an absolute must, and likely any band sounds better there I was there for all four nights of Phish in August 1996. Loved watching the lightning in the distance over the valley. Special place.

Have a great time at the shows in February. Definitely report back.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Dead in the Sand is apparently attempting to meet the needs of the private / luxury traveler:

Custom Experiences
Want to take a private charter to Cancun, stay in your own luxury mansion, and take a limo to the concert each night? Enhance your concert vacation with custom experiences.

Please let us know how many guests are in your group and if you are celebrating any special occasions.

Let us know what luxury amenities and adventures you are interested in adding to your package. Ideas include but are not limited to private charter transportation, luxury accommodations, yacht rentals, private cabana on the beach with private venue entry, personal concierge and butler services. Let us know what you are interested in - the sky is the limit!

Let us know your budget. Please note, there is a minimum spend of $20,000 per group.

__ $20,000 - $50,000
__ $50,000 - $80,000
__ $80,000 - $100,000
__ $100,000+
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aa213bb
my personal 7th or 8th circle of hell
"I may be going to Hell in a bucket, but at least I'll enjoy the ride!"

(Thanks for the set up there, aa213bb!)

The trip, and music, turned out to be spectacular of course. Dead and Company played Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday, while Michael Franti and Spearhead played Friday night (and joined with Dead and Co on Saturday night for I Know You Rider).

Barcelo Maya Palace? What can I say: It was as expected (or maybe a little better). Our suite was fine, service overall was solid, sincere and friendly. Beach was warm and nice, and the many pool options were universally good. Alcohol for the all-inclusive was better than expected - premium spirits, solid beer selection: we did not drink any wine. Food was certainly better than acceptable at all of the many restaurants we tried.

The concert venue itself was excellent. For a band that sells out much larger venues, it was fun to be standing barefoot in the warm weather, on the sand or with your feet in the ocean, with only 5 or 6 thousand other people. It was an incredibly friendly crowd as well; we met and had fun with people from everywhere (it seemed) in the US.

Sound system was top notch - even on the windier first night we could hear well from all over the small venue.

All inclusive included the concert venue itself. They had a small army of wait staff constantly roaming (spoiling) the crowd with fresh beers, and frozen margaritas and daiquiris. A very large and good food area was also in the back of the venue in case you wanted a snack or even something more substantial. The al pastor was excellent.

Conclusion: If you are so inclined, I would suggest giving an event like this a try! (it seems like more and more bands and festivals are trying this format in Mexico and elsewhere). Luxurious trappings are certainly available, as it appears promoters recognize there are many out there with $$$ to spend, and a desire to see great music.

One more: If you like / liked The Dead, certainly go check out Dead and Co one night on their 20-somthing show tour this summer! Bob is in fabulous form, as are Bill and Mickey. Oteil Is a fantastic bass player, Chimenti is sublime on Piano / keys / Hammond b3 and plays so well with Mayer. And what can you say about John Mayer? He is incredibly talented, singing and on lead guitar, and he has truly embraced this group and music. No idea why he ever set foot in this neck of the music woods, but as a fan I am certainly glad that he did!

Fare thee well!

Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:17 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

And on that happy note, there is nothing more to add, so I am closing this thread.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.