Wiki Posts
Search

Family Friendly Resorts in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Family Friendly Resorts in Europe

We like to take our kids to Europe every summer if possible. We generally visit a couple of more urban destinations and then finish the trip with a few days at a resort. The last two years we stayed at the Schloss Elmau and Castello di Casole. Both of these were huge hits with Schloss Elmau in particular rated as one of our all time travel highlights.

We are in the early stages of planning a few weeks in Europe for next summer and would love to get the suggestions of this esteemed forum on some resorts in Europe that might hit the spot. We are pretty wide open on the country and region.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:48 am

Maybe Portugal? I had friends with kids just visit Lisbon, the coast and later stay at Săo Lourenço Do Barrocal and they loved it. It's a virtuoso property.

https://www.virtuoso.com/hotels/1545...l#.WZHTTFGGPcs

A month before they were in Croatia at the Brown Beach House. Also a hit.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:43 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 11:30 am
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Hey thanks. They will be 15 and 10. Ashford castle could be a great idea.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:48 am

We're just finishing up a stay in a villa at Chateau Saint-Martin & Spa in Vence on the Côte d'Azur. We have stayed here multiple times and absolutely love it. The hard product is very French (but we love that) and they are very family friendly! The other guests are also very pleasant.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonjparr
We're just finishing up a stay in a villa at Chateau Saint-Martin & Spa in Vence on the Côte d'Azur. We have stayed here multiple times and absolutely love it. The hard product is very French (but we love that) and they are very family friendly! The other guests are also very pleasant.
Saint-Martin was one of the possibilities that I was considering. My Francophile wife would love it.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Valveking
Saint-Martin was one of the possibilities that I was considering. My Francophile wife would love it.
Hotel Du Cap (same owner/management) also has a summer 'camp', Jun-Aug 3-6pm, but for ages 7+ the pool and beach area are very pleasant with lovely improv games and friendships.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Hotel Du Cap (same owner/management) also has a summer 'camp', Jun-Aug 3-6pm, but for ages 7+ the pool and beach area are very pleasant with lovely improv games and friendships.
Good luck getting a reservation there during peak period unless you've stayed before or 'know someone' - it's quite impossible! 😀
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:09 am

Good luck getting a reservation there during peak period unless you've stayed before or 'know someone' - it's quite impossible! ��
Not as hard as they want you to think, although definitely not cheap.

Next week they are wide open online (with 5 night min)
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:48 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 11:30 am
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Not as hard as they want you to think, although definitely not cheap.

Next week they are wide open online (with 5 night min)
True but they don't open up the availability until mid-August which for most people is a bit too last minute. It's practically impossible to secure an early reservation for all of July through to mid-August. My TA managed to negotiate us getting to pick from mid-March but that was after a lot of backwards and forwards.

Like you say, it's quite expensive too. We much preferred the guests and atmosphere at CSM to the Hotel du Cap.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:13 am

My TA managed to negotiate us getting to pick from mid-March but that was after a lot of backwards and forwards..
That definitely echoes my experience and is part of their elitist game. I find it entertaining but it can things impractical.

Have never stayed at the CSM but will now add it to my list.

I am fascinated by other top French hotels which are well known to Foreigners. I've been recommended to the Chateau Berne in Provence, but I am sure there are quite a few hidden treasures.

It's interesting that although France is in general more organized than Italy, the various Italian destinations seem to be more widely known (Amalfi/Capri, Como/Garda, Tuscany, Porto Chevro, etc)
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:39 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
In Europe, we've had our little guy at the following. None of them had a formal kids club but they all really laid on the kids amenities and spoiled us with organized family activities. There are trip reports on this forum.

Four Seasons George V
Four Seasons Sultanahmet
Amanruya
Hotel Grande Bretagne
Amanzoe

Some great suggestions in this thread! I'm sure I'll be referencing back.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Cavellino Bianco in Ortisei is exceptionally good, we were there last week. This is in the Dolomites, beautiful village and 1 min to the cable car for some gentle walking (as little as 20 minutes if you choose) across to a (kid friendly) mountain hut for lunch.

Currently in Croatia at the new Family Resort Amarin in Rovinij. This really is a kids paradise but almost too much - you are stuck sitting by the pool. Very expensive but all inclusive. Cavellino is classier, probably because the mountains attract a healthy crowd.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ericka
In Europe, we've had our little guy at the following. None of them had a formal kids club but they all really laid on the kids amenities and spoiled us with organized family activities. There are trip reports on this forum.

Four Seasons George V
Four Seasons Sultanahmet
Amanruya
Hotel Grande Bretagne
Amanzoe

Some great suggestions in this thread! I'm sure I'll be referencing back.
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

Ericka, You must take your little guy to the Schloss Elmau in Bavaria and get a Summit suite in the Retreat Building. The resort is absolutely stunning. My kids talk about it at least once a week. My wife called our suite her "ultra luxury Alpine Treehouse."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.