Reload this Page >

Process -- the how of luxury booking and behavior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Process -- the how of luxury booking and behavior

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
For city hotels, after basic booking is done, I usually will send the requests directly to the hotel rather than waste my agent's time to pass message. That is unless I have a complicated or out of the norm request.

For resorts, yes, I reach out to the GM. Especially true for Aman as they make a difference. I also correspond closely with the GM at the Ritz Carlton Reserve Bali and she ensure I had a wonderful stay.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

speaking of asian RC reserve resorts, phulay is very small and was very well regarded here at one point, seems like trophy property for billionaire owner (owns Singha beer). re asia and aman, at caribbean amanyara for example, best regarded in past were managers below GM, as GM interacted little. one of those managers became a GM. some here follow GMs.

some here were put in touch with GMs by >
hotel staff, including GMs at other hotels
other guests, including other regulars here
others in industry who are not agents
(not all agents here interact with GMs)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 11, 2017 at 7:23 pm
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BENLEE
For city hotels, after basic booking is done, I usually will send the requests directly to the hotel rather than waste my agent's time to pass message. That is unless I have a complicated or out of the norm request.

For resorts, yes, I reach out to the GM. Especially true for Aman as they make a difference. I also correspond closely with the GM at the Ritz Carlton Reserve Bali and she ensure I had a wonderful stay.
Thanks BENLEE, this speaks to my thinking. I obviously can manage basic requests on my own. It's just that I did not want to disenfranchise anyone.

Oh, goodness me, so many worries!

Last edited by KatW; Aug 11, 2017 at 8:48 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I don't want to speak to GM. I book the room or suite I want and just want to be left alone. I don't want to smooze in the hopes of an upgrade etc. I am happy with my selection.
CGRA likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by BENLEE

What are you asking the GM about and why would your stay be better than mine?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I don't want to speak to GM. I book the room or suite I want and just want to be left alone. I don't want to smooze in the hopes of an upgrade etc. I am happy with my selection.
That's true luxury.
uggboy and luxtrvlwrks like this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I don't seek out hotel management, nor really feel the need to. If I have requests, I just email the concierge desk.

But, if you're a repeat guest, I think you're bound to meet management at some point. Their contact info is nice to have in your back pocket just in case things go really well, or really poorly.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:43 am

I don't like making 'cold calls', usually GM reaches out before the stay on many occasions to arrange for any special arrangements. Or just to touch base. A little extra consideration..

For hotels I don't have history with, I tend to ask other GMs who can put me in touch. Easier. Hospitality is a small world! Relationships are much more valuable.

Best GMs/HMs know when to come to chat or leave guest alone. But visible GMs are crucial so should a problem arise one knows it can be dealt with... these days they are only an email or text away, so if you need anything it's less of a problem. I usually ask who is best qualified on the team to handle certain things, so they are not pre-occupied with minor details. Handoff results in requests dealt with in a timely and highly professional manner, especially if GM 'flags' the guest with the departments in charge... this is really important.

Also being in touch with senior management before stay raises chances of being included in ops meetings and pre-shift meetings. Usually ops meetings are once a week (in some instances on Fridays) and include important arrivals and departures, most department heads attend and assure best of service.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Bless you, I agree.

I frequent this forum because we enjoy occasionally staying at high end, luxury properties and I like to stay educated on offerings available, but I find myself way, way out of the norms of FTers in this forum who often seem to make the act and joy of travel into an excruciatingly complicated endeavor...

Regards
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
In advance I normally simply write an email to concierge if I have questions ( I'm not that complicated, it's mostly dinner reservation or questions about sightseeing/ airporttransfer/ excursions) or ask my agent to do so. Only once wroto to GM in "young years" - useless action from my early years
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:58 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by United747
I don't seek out hotel management, nor really feel the need to. If I have requests, I just email the concierge desk.

But, if you're a repeat guest, I think you're bound to meet management at some point. Their contact info is nice to have in your back pocket just in case things go really well, or really poorly.
Originally Posted by scented
I don't like making 'cold calls', usually GM reaches out before the stay on many occasions to arrange for any special arrangements. Or just to touch base. A little extra consideration..

For hotels I don't have history with, I tend to ask other GMs who can put me in touch. Easier. Hospitality is a small world! Relationships are much more valuable.

Best GMs/HMs know when to come to chat or leave guest alone. But visible GMs are crucial so should a problem arise one knows it can be dealt with... these days they are only an email or text away, so if you need anything it's less of a problem. I usually ask who is best qualified on the team to handle certain things, so they are not pre-occupied with minor details. Handoff results in requests dealt with in a timely and highly professional manner, especially if GM 'flags' the guest with the departments in charge... this is really important.

Also being in touch with senior management before stay raises chances of being included in ops meetings and pre-shift meetings. Usually ops meetings are once a week (in some instances on Fridays) and include important arrivals and departures, most department heads attend and assure best of service.
Likewise .

At Amans , where they don't have concierge , I find it easier and expedient to connect with the GM / HM or perhaps a long serving team member , this is wearing my Amanjunkie T - YMMV ..
Aman & ex Aman team have been very helpful with introductions too .

At many other hotels , it depends on who I happen to know & who they put me in touch with .
For instance , at MOHK , I liaise with the concierge team , restaurant manager , HM , etc
Currently , I am in touch with the concierge & FO team at RC Kyoto along with a credit card concierge service - who are actually checking on 4 of our trips .
Too many requirements including cool AC temp

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 16, 2017 at 3:18 pm Reason: iPad typos ; add information
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:16 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We'd love to hear your opinions on this.

We're planning a family birthday party for my son at a city Peninsula. It's going to be a low key thing....pizza and cake in the room followed by a museum. We've booked a mid level suite specifically for the party. However, we're getting a few more positive RSVPs than we expected (happy problem). And we're hoping not to have to pay full price for one of the larger signature suites. Here's what we're thinking of doing.

- Contact GM two weeks before and lay out our past Peninsula stays.
- Explain nature of family party and how helpful staff has been in planning everything.
- Ask GM to give heads up to front desk staff that we would like to view available suite options upon arrival. And ask if they can consider us for any special "walk up" rates.

Does this approach seem good? Or tacky? We're already on an upgraded rate for our current suite, but the upgrades are not allowed after a certain level.

Thanks!

Ericka
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:54 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Ericka
However, we're getting a few more positive RSVPs than we expected (happy problem). And we're hoping not to have to pay full price for one of the larger signature suites. Here's what we're thinking of doing.
Others will have better experience at these sorts of things than me, but I wonder if you could ask about use of a larger suite for the party window. You occupy your suite as booked but the hotel allows you to use the living space in a larger suite. Is the hotel providing the food and beverage? If you are in the hotel for several days and you only need the space for 2 or 3 hours, even if you have to pay, it might be more affordable this way. At the least, I'd put it to the GM as you have to us and ask for his or her suggestions.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

might communicate maximum flexibility. for event, do not even need it overnight? for upgrades on stays, i would be fine changing rooms multiple times if the upgrade was good enough - not talking about low level low value upgrades. sometimes perhaps booking each night individually. day of and walk up can get different results. would be curious to see more discussion of true walk up here.

can talk to sales office/manager. (and F&B/catering.) also connecting room(s) to suite.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Likewise .

At Amans , where they don't have concierge , I find it easier and expedient to connect with the GM / HM or perhaps a long serving team member , this is wearing my Amanjunkie T - YMMV ..
Aman & ex Aman team have been very helpful with introductions too .

At many other hotels , it depends on who I happen to know & who they put me in touch with .
For instance , at MOHK , I liaise with the concierge team , restaurant manager , HM , etc
Currently , I am in touch with the concierge & FO team at RC Kyoto along with a credit card concierge service - who are actually checking on 4 of our trips .
Too many requirements including cool AC temp
It can get COLD at RC Kyoto. A very modern HVAC system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.