Reload this Page >

Temporarily Impaired: Vacationing in New England

Old May 27, 2017, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic

Hi FT....

Hoping you can help. Since I usually live in hotels, I usually like exotic or private destinations for vacation. However, fate has thrown me for a loop this year. I have a very bad bone bruise and micro stress fracture of my ankle. I'm facing another 1-2 months in an aircast with no weightbearing, and hopefully another 1-2 months of partial weightbearing. Which means I'm looking at the summer thru the lens of crutches or knee scooter.

Not terrible, as I'm restricted from flying for the foreseeable future (long time since that has happened)....but the really bad news is that I had to abandon my idea of renting an adorable seacoast cottage for the month of July (I'm traveling solo this summer, so solitude without support is a non-starter).

But today an idea hit me. Why not head to a really upscale resort for a week or two? Not usually my cup of tea, but this year, maybe a little pampering, a little sun on the beach, and a little fun is maybe just what my ankle ordered.

I've been looking at resorts (I love historic properties) within driving distance of Boston. I've perused Forbes'.... but I'm wondering if I'm missing any hidden gems. I don't need over the top lux, but very comfortable with great service and onsite food. Can you help me?

Ideal:
Weekapaug/Ocean Inn (Watch Hill)
The Point (not sure there is any availability left)
Lake Placid Lodge

Questionable
Wauwinet (easy for me to get to and I like Nantucket) but it seems like the reviews are all over the map
Chatham Bars (I've been to Chatham dozens of times)

Meh
Blantyre, Wheatleigh, Twin Farms (prefer water/lake front)
Wequasset (worn down)

Thanks much....
Old May 27, 2017, 2:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I don't have any specific recommendations but I'ld try to stick to the newest builds possible. Many of these old resorts aren't as terrible friendly for the mobility impaired.

Fdw
Old May 27, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Doc, as long as I have an elevator or a first floor room, at least inside the building, I should be okay. I live in a 100 y.o. house now and can make do. A stair or two here and there won't kill me (though I will check with the property before I go). I am more concerned about getting from the property to my beach chair
Old May 27, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

castle hill inn - beach houses - at one point >
2 superior were corner, # 37 closest to ocean
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=57b6f...=2&form=S00027

oceanhouseri.com/accommodations/cottage-collection/old-school-house
"beach is easily reached by a quick walk next door" (could ask re monthly)
hotel building also has ground floor walk out rooms/suites facing ocean
some of the hotel residence owners may also rent directly

watchhillinn.com/stay/seriously-suite/sandy-point-suite waterfront
watchhillinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Sandy-Point-Suite.pdf
watchhillinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Riegel_140605_0285fuse-Edit.jpg

ohmcollection.com/resorts could combine multiple

watchhilllife.com not showing any beachfront next to ocean house unfortunately

there is availability at The Point (boathouse?)

twin farms farm house overlooks pond from hill, but across street from hotel
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=edba9...=2&form=S00027

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 27, 2017 at 4:01 pm
Old May 27, 2017, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Kagehitokiri, thank you. I had completely forgotten about Castle Hill! I had lunch there years ago. (about the same time they were rebuilding the Ocean House)....and always wanted to go back. Also looking into Lake Placid lodge.

Keep 'em coming.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i enjoyed superior beach house closest to beach, breakfast (lobster hash) with no bill/charge.
j class return for world championship aug 22-26, was incredible seeing them pass castle hill >
facebook.com/pg/castlehillinn/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10150221544657380
facebook.com/pg/castlehillinn/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10150221626537380
facebook.com/pg/castlehillinn/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10150221439027380

check availability (especially castle hill) asap, as can/do book year in advance, and very few

if its an option i would avoid busier weekends that can also have higher rates

and best to confirm via phone/email (what they have) if not seeing good availability online

if you talk to ocean house, im curious re cottage rate and which rooms walk out ground floor

linked watch hill inn suite also looks pretty amazing/unique, 3 very long walls of windows

something different, not sure re lakefront accommodations >

Originally Posted by speedbird001
Migis Lodge on Lake Sebago. Rustic luxury.
and manoir hovey quebec >
Heron + Oriole - share pool
Cartier - lakefront with dock

not sure re walking though

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 27, 2017 at 4:13 pm
Old May 28, 2017, 8:22 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I have trip reports on this forum for Lake Placid Lodge, Twin Farms, and Blantyre if you'd like to search them out.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, for the horde of great recommendations and reviews (Erika, Kage and I think in a similar vein).

Manoir hovey quebec is PERFECT (I was a bit surprised how inexpensive it is..great value and I've never explored that portion of NE) but they only have availability the last June week in which I have a definitive conflict, or I'm looking at Sept. Not gonna work. DRAT. I'm on the waiting list, just in case.

Lake Placid Lodge has availability during the weeks I want, and the price is acceptable, if a bit high for moi ($800ish a night). It's a king in the main house (for late June/July) or a lakeside cabin in mid June. I'd prefer the cabins (only because the decor seems a bit less 'kitchy' and noise from neighboring rooms), but I'm a bit worried about mid June being too cool (I think it's mostly because we've had a lousy, wet spring in Boston).

Weekapaug has a pond view suite available for single weeks, but the price is a bit steep for just moi ($1200) and I admit, if I am gonna be that close to the Atlantic, I sorta want to be on the Atlantic.

Ocean House only has the last week of June available, a Deluxe King at $1k a night. I am a little concerned about being a bit too slovenly for this place. It takes an effort to do everything right now, so painting my face and wearing fancy clothes is not really a priority at this point. But, the location is just to die for. Same with The Point...can I afford the room? Absolutely. Do I want to part with the cash? Debatable.

Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth has a Beach Suite available, still waiting for pricing (and pics of the bathroom, in a previous review, seemed like baths were the weak link). I'm a bit worried about weather, but again, it might just be because of our crappy spring.

I need to reach out to Chatham Bars...but I've been to Chatham so many times, just isn't exiting me. I wish, wish wish Twin Lakes was on a lake. It would be close to perfection (though I've been involved in ski houses and bike tours for years in VT, so staying along the whole Rt 100 corridor isn't making me jump for joy).

Has anyone stayed at the The Fern Lodge in Chestertown NY?

Belamonte, Mirbeau, Lodge at Golden Pond, White Pond Camps, and Mohunk have all been ruled out. I never thought I would have a problem finding a mid-range rustic luxury place on the water in New England. ($500 a night is a perfect price point for me, mentally, since I still have a house under construction).

Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by navi_jen; May 28, 2017 at 12:40 pm
Old May 28, 2017, 12:45 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by navi_jen
Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth has a Beach Suite available, still waiting for pricing (and pics of the bathroom, in a previous review, seemed like baths were the weak link).
I think you're probably talking about my review. IBTS was nice, though I'm not sure I'd recommend it based on what you're looking for. Even in July, it was too cold to just sit on the beach, and, more importantly, I don't think I'd want to be cooped up there for a week.

The onsite food isn't great...our favorite parts of the trip were taking the hotel's bikes through town (which is where we also got most of our food).

We had a great time at IBTS and highly recommend it for a couple of days, but if you're staying a week or two, and looking to stay on-property most of the time, I'd probably suggest looking elsewhere.

Hidden Pond nearby might be worth a look; I've wanted to go there for a while...though I'm not sure how easy it is to get around there.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what castle hill has is 'rooms' - literally oceanfront and beachfront
not sure cottages as good as houses, house # 30 well kept in 2011
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=57b6f...=2&form=S00027

chanler has some on ocean, but not the view/beach/location
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=60532...=2&form=S00027
i did enjoy lunch there, as well as terrace, but 'public' location

The Point might be most reliable, rates include everything
wonder if they will do one category upgrade into boathouse

surprising castle hill not peak until 3rd weekend in june (school?)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...oir-hovey.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 30, 2017 at 11:44 am
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all.

LM225...thanks for the greater context on IBTS. Sounds like it's a no go.

Kage....Point is out. It's precisely what I am looking for, but the price point is just too high for a single. Not that I couldn't, but I would not feel comfortable (my small town Midwestern sensibility is nagging at me!). I just need to find 'the' hubby, what a perfect week or weekend that would be!

This is my current thinking:

Week 1: Wentworth by the Sea on points. I so wish the main house rooms had balconies, as the idea of walking right from my room onto a porch oceanside is my idea of heaven. I may opt for a room in the new building just so I can do just that. It's a old building (love), 4 star hotel in gorgeous location, has two pretty pools, the food gets high marks, it has an onsite spa, and service seems to be favorable, particularly if you have status (which I do). And, I can run into Portsmouth if I get bored.

Week 2: Transfer to either Lake Placid Lodge, Weekapaug or Ocean House.

Erika...The Lake Placid main lodge rooms seem a bit 'kitchy' in their pictures. The cabins less so. Is that assumption correct? Also, do you know how far of a walk it is from the cabins to the main lodge? Do you think it is navigable on a knee scooter (I am only worried if it's a steep incline).

All...have some questions about the Ocean House.

1. How upscale is the 'vibe' and dress code at Ocean House? My likely dress code for the week would be bermudas and a t-shirt (and my Keen river runners).
2. Am I going to be the only one not dressed in their linen-clad finest? Particularly at meals.
3. Am I correct there is no pool?
4. Any feedback on spa services?

Weekpaug probably is more my style, but I like that Ocean House is on the ocean and has a bit more things to do. Castle Hill has not returned two separate contacts, off the list. Hidden Pond is out, I want waterside (thank you, though, LM, it's added to my mental list for future trips!). Migis has availability (thank you Kage), but it seems like one of those places that might be more fun when I'm more mobile.

Cliffside Beach Club in Nantucket is the only other option I am still looking into. Only concern there is if there is enough dining variety, given my mobility limitations.

As much as my doctor may hate it, I am SO debating getting my convertible out from under the covers for this trip. The only time EVER I wish I had automatic transmission.

Decisions, decisions

Last edited by navi_jen; Jun 3, 2017 at 12:39 pm
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ocean house has pool, can be used by guests of their other properties
dont recall if weekapaug pool does the same sharing, probably does

unfortunate re marina at wentworth in terms of the view

castle hill beach houses do also have a few steps, not sure re cottages
and hotel car transfer to inn seemed to be slow/etc sometimes

rent a car/convertible with automatic?

Cliffside Beach Club in Nantucket - interesting, thanks
beachfront - 6 rooms, 1 suite, 1 cottage, 3 residences

re dress codes, can ask, not always enforced
when staying, could ask sales manager

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 6, 2017 at 6:41 am
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Thanks all.

All...have some questions about the Ocean House.

1. How upscale is the 'vibe' and dress code at Ocean House? My likely dress code for the week would be bermudas and a t-shirt (and my Keen river runners).
The dress code for Ocean House is resort casual, which would require a shirt with a collar if wearing shorts. I think you could get away with the Keens for medical reasons, although those would technically be excluded as well.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:28 am

Navi_jen - I can't help with suggestions but will bookmark this thread for suggestions should I ever get to New England. However I'm wondering why you can't fly with an Air Cast - I broke my 5th metatarsal whilst in HK and had to wear an Air Cast for about 6 weeks. I was able to fly as it can be taken off in the event of swelling.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Navi_jen - I can't help with suggestions but will bookmark this thread for suggestions should I ever get to New England. However I'm wondering why you can't fly with an Air Cast - I broke my 5th metatarsal whilst in HK and had to wear an Air Cast for about 6 weeks. I was able to fly as it can be taken off in the event of swelling.
Quite, this might be TMI, but unfortunately, it's not a typical fracture. The no flying is because of the microfractures and the bone bruising in my Medial talar dome. I have to keep the swelling to an absolute minimum to maximize blood flow (because of its location, the bone does not get lot of blood flow). The blood flow and minimal swelling allows the bone bruise/microfractures to heal (if the bruise doesn't heal, bone necrosis can set in, requiring surgery...something I want to avoid at all costs).

I flew for the first two months after the injury, and it has actually set me back in my recovery. I am being seen by the Patriots ankle guy, so I feel I am good hands and will follow the docs lead. But thanks for thinking about how I can work around this...I would fly if I could

Last edited by navi_jen; Jun 13, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.