Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (combined thread)

Park Hyatt Sydney (combined thread)

Old May 16, 2017, 8:21 am
Community Director Emerita

MacMyDay, I'm swooning over your views. I wouldn't need to leave the room.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
MacMyDay, I'm swooning over your views. I wouldn't need to leave the room.
I never left the hotel during my stay, so it certainly kept me occupied.

As a useless piece of trivia.....the second photo that shows the cruise ship...I was snapping away taking pictures, then checked the BBC News and saw the headline was this, which just happened to be referencing that cruise ship: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...t-in-australia

That is my claim to fame. I've not had the most exciting life.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:46 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
....the second photo that shows the cruise ship...I was snapping away taking pictures, then checked the BBC News and saw the headline was this, which just happened to be referencing that cruise ship: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...t-in-australia
I'm a sucker for that kind of synchronicity.

I've not had the most exciting life.
Having met you thru your extraordinary hotel stays, I would challenge that.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
That is my claim to fame. I've not had the most exciting life.
Compared to the 2 graces not the worst thing
Old May 16, 2017, 9:28 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm a sucker for that kind of synchronicity.

Having met you thru your extraordinary hotel stays, I would challenge that.
Ditto +1

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old May 18, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great reports! PH views/floorplans must vary a lot, based on shape of hotel

seems hyatt has relatively recently started allowing outsourcing of many departments, which at some point becomes de facto franchising, while being able to say they dont franchise PH. considering it is recent, and many hyatt managers will not like it, it is no surprise to see certain responses, until hyatt develops procedures.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Bridge Room (out favorite restaurant in all of Australia

private VIP experience for all of us at the Featherdale Animal Park
how was the latter?

thebridgeroom.com.au/people.html
ex-aman Lusteds, well regarded here
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:35 pm

Great review and certainly appreciate it. I am in the midst of finalizing my Spring 2018 vacation and Sydney is definitely on the list.

However, a complain about room not being service in 1.5 hours time? isn't that a bit too much to ask for? Unless you made the request prior to leaving the room, I don't think that is that big of a deal. Just my thought
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ponickka
However, a complain about room not being service in 1.5 hours time? isn't that a bit too much to ask for? Unless you made the request prior to leaving the room, I don't think that is that big of a deal. Just my thought
might you quote what you are referring to? cheers.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
might you quote what you are referring to? cheers.
Under SERVICE:

"The biggest failing was with housekeeping. WOW. We left to have our first morning's breakfast around 8 am...and returned at 9:30 am only to see the room hadbn't been cleaned. I called to complain...and ultimately discovered that the hotel outsources housekeeping which doesn't start until 9:30 am. Not exactly luxury hotel housekeeping if you ask me. I was told I could request earlier housekeepging each morning--though I insisted they should do that for me regardless."
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Great review and certainly appreciate it. I am in the midst of finalizing my Spring 2018 vacation and Sydney is definitely on the list.

Sorry if my criticism here isn't appropriate for you. Having stayed in enough luxury hotels around the world, I know that a well managed luxury hotel should notify housekeeping to clean your room the moment you check in for breakfast with your room number--so that it's clean by the time you return. That's how so many of the best luxury hotels always manage to clean rooms without being seen.

The PH didn't accomplish this because (1) it outsources housekeeping, (2) its outsourced housekeeping doesn't even begin until 9:30 am, and (3) as evidenced by our last day's housekeeping miss again, the hotel management doesn't handle housekeeping so well as it should.

The PH wants to be considered among the very best luxury hotels, and certainly to be the best in Sydney. I therefore hold this hotel to a similarly high standard.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP

The biggest failing was with housekeeping. WOW. We left to have our first morning's breakfast around 8 am...and returned at 9:30 am only to see the room hadn't been cleaned. I called to complain...and ultimately discovered that the hotel outsources housekeeping which doesn't start until 9:30 am. Not exactly luxury hotel housekeeping if you ask me. I was told I could request earlier housekeepging each morning--though I insisted they should do that for me regardless.
I consider this a massive failure for a hotel of this caliper. I would have been p*issed. Frankly, I would have been p*issed if this happened at a Hilton, let alone a PH. I'd have given Motel6 a pass ...

The general FT rule: 5* properties adapt to the customer's schedule and not vice-versa. And 5* properties DO NOT miss 90-minute opportunity windows starting at 8am to service a room.

PS -- My last stay in Sydney was at the FS. If my only problem with that stay was a missed morning service opportunity, I'd have been very happy.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Park Hyatt Sydney

My husband and I are currently at the Park Hyatt Sydney. Our last stay here was in January of 2014. Before that I had stayed a number of times on business trips and it has always been my favorite hotel in Sydney. For comparison purposes I have also stayed at the Four Seasons and the old Observatory, which I believe is now the Langham. For me this far outshines both of those choices.

On this trip we are staying in a regular Opera View King. In the past we stayed in the Deluxe version which Is a much better option IMO as the size is much better but we did not book in time and the Deluxe Opera Views were completely full. We could have had a park Deluxe, but I much prefer to have the great view when here! Anyway, the regular Opera view is fine - it's about 40 sq meters so not tiny and it's well laid out. We are on the highest floor in our wing with a beautiful view of the bay and the Opera so no complaints whatsoever on the room. Our bad for not booking sooner during this very busy season where the hotel is complete

Service has been for the most part very good especially considering the hotel is so busy. We arrived from San Francisco early in the morning and assumed our room would not be ready so were prepared to shower in the gym, and take off for the day storing our bags.

When we arrived the hotel directed us to the gym for us to take a shower and change. We were meeting up with friends on a boat to watch the Sydney to Hobart start in which a friend is racing so did not plan to be in the hotel long. Much to our surprise we had just finished a quick shower and someone from the front desk came to tell us our room was ready! Great news for fairly early morning! So we were able to quickly settle in the room and off we went very happy with the service at this point.

Back in the hotel later that evening we decided to forgo dinner with friends due to plain exhaustion. Hated to pass dinner in a wonderful Sydney restaurant but after the long flight and full day on the water we decided to relax, unpack and have room service looking at our beautiful view. That is when the service changed. I had a very slight change to a simple item. At first I was told no modifications to anything on the room service menu. I said ok, I'd rather pass as wed had a big late lunch. A minute later I received a call back telling me the chef would make this accommodation this one time but not to expect it ever again. I was pretty shocked. I am not a picky eater and this was extremely minor. Having traveled extensively around the world for years I have never had room service turn down such a simple request and in fact I know of people making very complicated requests that were happily met or tried to meet. this was a bit off putting as you can imagine as was not a big deal.. anyway I ordered when they called back and when it was delivered the modification had not been made. I ended up just letting it go as my husband wanted to eat and I just ate mine the way it was, but was a bit offput by the whole thing. So, not great service for the in room dining the first night.

Next day we went down for breakfast - unusual for me as I'm a breakfast in the room person. Big mistake. Very crowded, lots of screaming kids and quite chaotic. Anyway I ordered an omelette and tea. My husband just has some meats and cheeses and a coffee. The omlette and tea did not come, did not come. After about 30 min I asked and it turned out it was delivered to the couple sitting next to us who had just sat down and although they had ordered something different they ate it, Still no tea for me. Eventually after quite some time I received my second time rush ordered omlette and even my tea finally arrived.

Conclusion - check in service was great! In room dining and dining in the hotel had a long way to go to improve. Subsequently all other meals have been had at great restaurants outside the hotel, and breakfast in room which has been fine as no modifications!

More later! Off to a lunch!
obscure2k likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The Park Hyatt ethos is supposed to be personalized service. It's a disgrace that they wouldn't do a simple modification, gave guff about it, reluctantly agreed and said they would do it and then didn't end up doing it. Letting you starve in the Living Room is another minus.

I would definitely address both with the duty manager and Director of F&B. Their hotel is a category 7 and charges some of the highest Hyatt room rates in the world. They should get room service mods and a simple omelette and tea right. Those are luxury hotel basics.

Happy New Year and enjoy Sydney!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
[QUOTE=Aventine;29221682]The Park Hyatt ethos is supposed to be personalized service. It's a disgrace that they wouldn't do a simple modification, gave guff about it, reluctantly agreed and said they would do it and then didn't end up doing it. Letting you starve in the Living Room is another minus.

I would definitely address both with the duty manager and Director of F&B. Their hotel is a category 7 and charges some of the highest Hyatt room rates in the world. They should get room service mods and a simple omelette and tea right. Those are luxury hotel basics.

Happy New Year and enjoy Sydney![/QUOTE

I FULLY AGREE! We have been so busy I haven't had time to address and we are off to Tasmania tomorrow to meet up with our friend who will hopefully make it there tomorrow in the Sydney to Hobart race. Then off to Saffire Freycinet for a few days.

On the plus side concierge service has been great. Although I booked a lot of things myself, they followed up, reconfirmed and we have clearly had the best tables, etc everywhere we have been ( outside the hotel). I just would not eat at the hotel again except room service breakfast! Dining has been the only real negative and I will address it before we leave tomorrow. Too late for Recovery but I don't really expect much for these issues other than improvement going forward. And our room service breakfast this morning was good and handled well.

So overall another good stay here. Very good front desk and concierge. Room service ( with slight, slight modification - literally toasted bread) and breakfast in the dining room service not good. I still think the best choice in Sydney.
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:56 pm

The Park Hyatt Sydney is only hotel I've ever come online and used forums to look for a service resolution, as there was no hope of doing via normal channels: Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

For some reason I'm going back there in March and paying for a Deluxe Opera View room, which I keep questioning with myself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.