Reload this Page >

Advice on Amalfi Coast Hotels/Itinerary

Old May 8, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, SPG Gold

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are planning our honeymoon to the Amalfi coast at end of June/July and would love some advice on our itinerary. We had to change our trip location about a month ago and so haven't had as much time to plan as I normally would like.

Previous posts, especially from BLV and SanDiego1k, on this forum have been enormously helpful already in helping us pick what we do have planned.

NIGHT 1 - Nothing booked - I'd like to stay somewhere nice since it's our first night, but we will probably arrive around early afternoon at the earliest. Would staying in Naples or Sorrento be better? Anything worthwhile doing that afternoon/evening in Naples?
NIGHTS 2 and 3 - Il San Pietro, Positano. It looked full all June/July but all fo BLV's pictures inspired me to check the website every day and we finally took advantage of a last minute cancellation!
NIGHTS 4 and 5 - Hotel Santa Caterina in Amalfi
NIGHTS 6 and 7 - Choice of Palazzo Avino OR Monastero Santa Rosa - thoughts? Am leaning towards Palazzo Avino but am wondering if Ravello will be too quiet / not stack up after staying closer to the coast? We want to do a day trip to Capri at some point but some of these hotels are so lovely I'm not sure we will want to leave either Il San Pietro or Santa Caterina...but it will be more of a trek from Palazzo Avino. Would have liked to stay in Capri but all the hotels I liked are full or out of our budget.
LAST NIGHT - Nothing booked but likely staying close to Naples given our flight time the next day.

We want to optimize for beautiful views, nice walks/hikes nearby or reasonably accessible, great places to relax and read by water. We are easy to please on food.

Will pay it forward with some posts on where we end up staying after we get back! Thanks in advance to anyone willing to provide input.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AF, DL, AZ, JAL, JB, AMEX, STARWOOD
It will be much more convenient for you to stay in one place-- Positanto would be best-- and then to day trips to Amalfi, Ravello etc. All of these places are very close and IMO it would be terribly inconvenient and a waste of precious time to pack and unpack, switch hotels etc.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by descartes12
It will be much more convenient for you to stay in one place-- Positanto would be best-- and then to day trips to Amalfi, Ravello etc. All of these places are very close and IMO it would be terribly inconvenient and a waste of precious time to pack and unpack, switch hotels etc.
+1
And welcome descartes12 !

Congratulations sunnyskiesCA !!

The food at ISP is superb too , so are the views / grounds . Just stay .

Then hire a chauffeur to drive you around & explore coast , etc . Also dine / lunch at Don Alfonso

Paging TheDaddy ..
Naples suggestions please
Old May 8, 2017, 3:26 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by sunnyskiesCA
NIGHTS 6 and 7 - Choice of Palazzo Avino OR Monastero Santa Rosa - thoughts? Am leaning towards Palazzo Avino but am wondering if Ravello will be too quiet / not stack up after staying closer to the coast?
Having stayed at both, I would say that Palazzo Avino is the better location to be able to walk around to shops/cafes/restaurants. Palazzo Avino is at the end of a charming village. Monastero Santa Rosa is isolated; I'm not sure there is much to see or do off grounds. It's a fair drive up a steep hill. You have a stunning view from the property and beautiful terraced grounds to walk down but there isn't a pleasant village nearby (that I saw). Also, rooms are former monk cells at Monastero Santa Rosa. I'm more comfortable with the additional space of rooms at Palazzo Avino.

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Paging TheDaddy ..
Naples suggestions please
Did you know that if you type @TheDaddy, he will get a notification? It's a nice improvement that has been added on FlyerTalk in recent weeks.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Did you know that if you type @TheDaddy, he will get a notification? It's a nice improvement that has been added on FlyerTalk in recent weeks.
Oh , that ' s good .

I should type in more " handles " too then !

He helped us a whole lot . With suggestions , language & even with chauffeurs & showing us hidden ( to us anyway ) spots he frequents ^
Had lots of arm exercises signing , like charades really , to our helpful chauffeur / photographer except we did not know what other party said . Rather amusing at times

Time to return !
Old May 8, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Excellent point...I should have mentioned since we are booking late for this area, I had trouble stringing together stays for more than two nights at properties I was excited about - some properties were sold out for parts of our stay or adding an additional night would kick us up into a suite well above our budget.

I do hate moving around though, which would be a + for picking Monastero Santa Rosa over Palazzo Avino since the former is only 10 min from Santa Caterina.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

@SanDiego1K, thank you for the advice (and also the news about adding the @!)...I really appreciate it! I am very much leaning towards Palazzo Avino.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:08 pm

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 10:57 am
Old May 8, 2017, 8:58 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
What time is your flight? Ravello is pretty close to the highway that heads back up towards Naples. Drive time isn't as bad as from Positano. I think 6,7 & 8 could be in Ravello. Avino really is a special hotel (as is Caruso, but Avino's lead in rooms are often less costly)
Old May 8, 2017, 11:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by ABG
What time is your flight? Ravello is pretty close to the highway that heads back up towards Naples. Drive time isn't as bad as from Positano.
This is a really good point. We drove to Ravello first on our trip and then returned from Positano. The Ravello drive was much quicker. The drive from Positano was almost scary at points, with a very narrow road barely big enough for cars. Yet tour buses were using it. You do not want to be pressed for time when on it. It was built almost 200 years ago by Napoleonic forces. I doubt it is much wider now as there is nowhere to widen it.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:55 pm
BLV

I very strongly agree with the above. It's only a week, you don't want to be packing & unpacking. And welcome, Descartes!

Instead I'd just go out for dinners: Santa Rosa, Palazzo Avino, Le Sirenuse. Don Alfonso is also worth the 40-45 minute drive. Lunch at Il San Pietro's Carlino (accessible to hotel's guests only) is a must. I pretty much have most of my lunches there.

Hiring a boat for the day and cruising along the coast with a stop on Capri for lunch at Da Luigi ai Faraglioni, Fontelina or Conca del Sogno in Nerano is a great idea.

Regarding a hike. Just do Path of the Gods (also referred to as Walk of the Gods aka Il Sentiero degli Dei), either by yourself or with a guide (I have someone I can recommend very highly).

Oh, and congratulations! You couldn't have picked a better hotel. But then again, I'm terribly biased when it comes to ISP :-).

Last edited by BLV; May 9, 2017 at 12:02 am
Old May 9, 2017, 12:46 pm

I believe that doesn't work if you use an ad-blocker. Just a heads up.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Old May 10, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately our return flight is at 7am out of Naples It's a United award ticket, so I can change it for free as a 1k, but that looks to be the best choice for us. Otherwise I would stay one more night in Ravello!

Originally Posted by ABG
What time is your flight? Ravello is pretty close to the highway that heads back up towards Naples. Drive time isn't as bad as from Positano. I think 6,7 & 8 could be in Ravello. Avino really is a special hotel (as is Caruso, but Avino's lead in rooms are often less costly)
Old May 10, 2017, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

@BLV Thanks for your input and all of your great reviews over the years! I hate moving hotels and would definitely prefer to stay in only 1 or 2 places. But unfortunately we are constrained by what's available since a lot of places are only available for a few nights. We could stay longer at Santa Caterina but all of your posts made me really want to spend a few nights at Il San Pietro even if it's a bit more convenient.

Would love your recommendation for a guided hike... I will send you a message about that! Thank you!

Originally Posted by BLV
I very strongly agree with the above. It's only a week, you don't want to be packing & unpacking. And welcome, Descartes!

Instead I'd just go out for dinners: Santa Rosa, Palazzo Avino, Le Sirenuse. Don Alfonso is also worth the 40-45 minute drive. Lunch at Il San Pietro's Carlino (accessible to hotel's guests only) is a must. I pretty much have most of my lunches there.

Hiring a boat for the day and cruising along the coast with a stop on Capri for lunch at Da Luigi ai Faraglioni, Fontelina or Conca del Sogno in Nerano is a great idea.

Regarding a hike. Just do Path of the Gods (also referred to as Walk of the Gods aka Il Sentiero degli Dei), either by yourself or with a guide (I have someone I can recommend very highly).

Oh, and congratulations! You couldn't have picked a better hotel. But then again, I'm terribly biased when it comes to ISP :-).
Old May 10, 2017, 7:35 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by sunnyskiesCA
@BLV Thanks for your input and all of your great reviews over the years! I hate moving hotels and would definitely prefer to stay in only 1 or 2 places. But unfortunately we are constrained by what's available since a lot of places are only available for a few nights. We could stay longer at Santa Caterina but all of your posts made me really want to spend a few nights at Il San Pietro even if it's a bit more convenient.

Would love your recommendation for a guided hike... I will send you a message about that! Thank you!
In that case @SanDiego1K has made an excellent suggestion regarding Palazzo Avino, because, please see here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27165134-post67.html re: Monastera Santa Rosa

But I do suggest stopping by there for lunch to enjoy the views and property itself.

Whichever one you end up picking remember that sea access won't be as instant as with ISP and it'll require about 10-15 mins up/down by car and honestly, one of the best things about San Pietro is their beach/platform. If sea access isn't important, Avino would be my choice.

Please see PM regarding the hike guide.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.