Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
40 villa - puri
20 villa and planning more - pulo, yara, gani
(i'll count bedrooms at yara)
kila - not sure if being built yet >

FS etc dont really do 40 1BR villa + 40 residence villa
On the Four Seasons comment, I just meant a luxury chain with room count near 100. So maybe FS or StR in Langkawi would be a better comparison for the feeling (haven't been to either, but from what I've read)? Or StR in Mauritius--maybe a better comparison?

And good point on Pulo--I worry they might go this way, as well. We went in late 2015 and got luck with an empty week--only 16 guests on the island all week.

Was at Kila last month--construction has not started yet. That said, our room was overhanging the empty, beautiful valley on the side of the resort opposite the beach club side. Ernst specifically told us that if we were to return to that villa in the future it would be much less private as the residences will be built on that side.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmuva98
late 2015...16 guests
nice!

Was at Kila last month--construction has not started yet. That said, our room was overhanging the empty, beautiful valley on the side of the resort opposite the beach club side. Ernst specifically told us that if we were to return to that villa in the future it would be much less private as the residences will be built on that side.
any idea how many? does site suggest some may be beach/ocean front?

at least puri/etc is residences not more rooms, even booking as 2BR/etc

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 30, 2017 at 12:32 am
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
nice!

any idea how many? does site suggest some may be beach/ocean front?

at least puri/etc is residences not more rooms, even booking as 2BR/etc
Let me check later on today. There is a newly-printed Aman Residences book in our room that has some sample floor plans and sizes.

And to add insult to injury, we are now on our 5th and final day at Amanpuri. Were asked this morning for our room number for the 8th time.

And now, after finishing lunch we were asked to sign our bill.

Utterly unacceptable. I will never return here.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Let me check later on today. There is a newly-printed Aman Residences book in our room that has some sample floor plans and sizes.

And to add insult to injury, we are now on our 5th and final day at Amanpuri. Were asked this morning for our room number for the 8th time.

And now, after finishing lunch we were asked to sign our bill.

Utterly unacceptable. I will never return here.
Kila villa plans are still at planning stage , at least gotten to this stage now

Better alert Preeya too besides Paul as Harish is not around , & Davide ?
Was it a new staff ? One who had not seen you yet before today ?
Unacceptable alright .

Wonder if the Surin guests have been wandering in more often than before ..
When Surin & Puri were " linked " , it was not a problem as there was an internal system worked out .
Maybe a Thai cultural thing , they do like confrontation & takes them quite a bit to approach non residents who walk in via the beach , at " point of entry " , seen some even attempting to use the main pool ( had to get staff then , was getting out of hand - them not going up to these visitors ) .

This does not happen at other Amans as guests are unable to stroll in from next door
Often so remote , no neighbours .
Few do have like Gani , Sara ..
Even at Amanemu , which is by Nemu Resort & Nemu Golf Club / course , it is not possible to stroll in !

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 30, 2017 at 3:18 am
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Kila villa plans are still at planning stage , at least gotten to this stage now

Better alert Preeya too besides Paul as Harish is not around , & Davide ?
Was it a new staff ? One who had not seen you yet before today ?
Unacceptable alright .

Wonder if the Surin guests have been wandering in more often than before ..
When Surin & Puri were " linked " , it was not a problem as there was an internal system worked out .
Maybe a Thai cultural thing , they do like confrontation & takes them quite a bit to approach non residents who walk in via the beach , at " point of entry " , seen some even attempting to use the main pool ( had to get staff then , was getting out of hand - them not going up to these visitors ) .

This does not happen at other Amans as guests are unable to stroll in from next door
Often so remote , no neighbours .
Few do have like Gani , Sara ..
Even at Amanemu , which is by Nemu Resort & Nemu Golf Club / course , it is not possible to stroll in !
It often happens at the Amanusa Beach Club as well.
Staff does not seem to be too proactive in asking visitors to vacate the private beach.

I don't hold it against them because it's to be expected given public beach (also, Mustain, who works there, is a star and one of my favorite Aman employees in the world), just a general note.

Last edited by 0bsidian; Apr 30, 2017 at 5:07 am
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

FlyerEC--Thanks for the advice on extra points of contact: I spoke to Preeya just a few minutes ago. Turns out I had spoken to her 2 days ago but didn't realise it was her (I am rubbish with names!).

Kage--Looking at the Aman Residences book in my pavilion now. Interestingly, it does not list Pulo as a site for Aman Residences. No idea why. But it does list: Jena, Zoe, Wella, Kila, Noi, Yangyun, Yara, Gani, Nera, and Puri.

For Kila it doesn't list a number, but says they will be 2- to 6-bedroom residences, up to 850 sq mt / 9,000 sq ft. Says they will be 200 metres from the resort, be elevated on the hillside. Not sure about beach access.

Also has some black and white sketches and sample floor plans.
Attached Images      

Last edited by nmuva98; Apr 30, 2017 at 5:23 am Reason: Add photos
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:24 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Amanpulo has topped out at 20 residences hasn't it? Or are they building more still?

That's such a shame about the names/bill - and yes, unless you're staying in a pool pavilion/private villa residence, then Amanpuri's hardware just doesn't match upto it. Such lovely main grounds/pool and beach though!

Had guests at Amanpulo recently who kept running into housekeeping. Odd - I've barely seen housekeeping in so many Aman visits, and one of the times I did, it was because I went back to my room mid-way to get my camera.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nmuva98, wow, thanks!

other residences >
nusa operates 10
giri marketed 1 and planned more
dari marketed 1 and planned 11
wana announced
ruya had planned (and spa)

chinmoylad, "potential for" 33 (on 33 acres) including next to runway

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 2, 2017 at 11:58 am
Old May 3, 2017, 10:58 pm

On our 2nd to last night here, will try and do a full trip report next week once back home.

But one quick comment on the above. The issue isn't that they forgot--it's that they never even tried. Two scenarios. First, walk into the Japanese restaurant--"Good evening. Which table would you like? And may I have your room number?". Second scenario, eat dinner at the Italian restaurant, and they seem to know who we are. Go to the bar below (the South American restaurant and lounge), drink for a good 2 hours. Then as we leave, ask for our room number. Rinse and repeat 5 times.

So very few staff really have any idea who you are, unless perhaps you are a villa owner. End result is that the "Aman ethos" is a thing of the past at Amanpuri. Going on 4 days here and I still don't feel "at home". I frankly feel like a guest at some larger, generic Four Seasons--except if we are at a FS we'd likely have a better hard product, too

One last comment before I head to afternoon tea--after mentioning to the front desk this issue (as mentioned in my previous post) two nights ago, we then return to the watersports area this morning (did one of the cruises yesterday--wow, talk about tired hard product, I've had better junk boats in Homg Kong) and the very first words out of their mouths were "Can I have your room number?"

I then turn around and walk to reception and had a great chat with one of the senior staff at the front desk. She told me my original concerns were brought to Paul's attention (the GM who I chatted with on arrival, Harish is now off property for a few days). She assured me that policy remains what you expect from Aman--i.e. know who all the guests are. Tell her I love Aman and am not trying to be negative, but that I do not feel at home here as I did at Klia, Pulo, etc. She was great, so I go back down to the beach.

Literally 10 min later in order a beer--"And what's your room number, sir?".

At this point I just laugh it off and increase the count on to 7 times I've now had that question.

Let's see what shenanigans the next day and a half holds.....

Totally agree with that.
There is no need to ask any guests repeatedly for who they are, especially the guests have not left their table/ restaurant. The tap is still open.

In my experience, people working for restaurants would notice if any guests leave their tables, so staff could proceed to clean up and prepare the tables/ beach chairs fresh again.
Many restaurants/ airlines have a map of tables/ chairs for them to mark down who are sitting at which tables/chairs for them to greet their guests as well as mark down any bills.

If the same guests order on the beach again, and Puri's beach staff could hardly remember who they are by their faces, the staff can go back to their staff counter and find it out.

Last edited by Rachelmucha; May 3, 2017 at 11:23 pm
Old May 4, 2017, 6:09 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Rachelmucha
Totally agree with that.
There is no need to ask any guests repeatedly for who they are, especially the guests have not left their table/ restaurant. The tap is still open.

In my experience, people working for restaurants would notice if any guests leave their tables, so staff could proceed to clean up and prepare the tables/ beach chairs fresh again.
Many restaurants/ airlines have a map of tables/ chairs for them to mark down who are sitting at which tables/chairs for them to greet their guests as well as mark down any bills.

If the same guests order on the beach again, and Puri's beach staff could hardly remember who they are by their faces, the staff can go back to their staff counter and find it out.

Currently have planned 3 nights at Amanpuri in July for inspection/review but this is making me second guess...may need to head to Iniala instead and see what fuss is all about there
Old May 6, 2017, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Currently have planned 3 nights at Amanpuri in July for inspection/review but this is making me second guess...may need to head to Iniala instead and see what fuss is all about there
hi Besvisor, what do you mean of inspection/ review? Are you being paid to check out resorts?
Old May 6, 2017, 5:29 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
hi Besvisor, what do you mean of inspection/ review? Are you being paid to check out resorts?
Haha, no.

I'm a Virtuoso Luxury Travel Advisor so I go to various luxury resorts to get a better feel for the property and also network with management to better serve my clients. This allow us to provide clients with better upgrades and treatments. Many Virtuoso TAs on Flyertalk do this.

I will be heading to a few Amans and a few properties in Maldives in July.

We just call these visits Site Inspections or Reviews...to ensure it's up to par for our clients.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:56 am

I know at least one Virtuoso agent on here who does admit to having free stays - how often that happens I'm not sure! In any case I imagine if you go along announcing you're that you're there for a site visit you will get better treatment. A Virtuoso agent (no longer with us) who stayed at the Strand in Rangoon following its reopening post refurbishment, was invited along on the hotel's river cruise. We stayed just after and although we got great treatment we didn't get a freebie river cruise!
Old May 6, 2017, 6:00 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I know at least one Virtuoso agent on here who does admit to having free stays - how often that happens I'm not sure! In any case I imagine if you go along announcing you're that you're there for a site visit you will get better treatment. A Virtuoso agent (no longer with us) who stayed at the Strand in Rangoon following its reopening post refurbishment, was invited along on the hotel's river cruise. We stayed just after and although we got great treatment we didn't get a freebie river cruise!
It definitely can happen!

It varies greatly. I've had free stays, discounted stays and FULL rate stays. It just depends on the property and your timing of the season.

You getting great treatment due to your Agent's visit is the idea
Old May 16, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Amanpulo has topped out at 20 residences hasn't it? Or are they building more still?

That's such a shame about the names/bill - and yes, unless you're staying in a pool pavilion/private villa residence, then Amanpuri's hardware just doesn't match upto it. Such lovely main grounds/pool and beach though!

Had guests at Amanpulo recently who kept running into housekeeping. Odd - I've barely seen housekeeping in so many Aman visits, and one of the times I did, it was because I went back to my room mid-way to get my camera.
The main grounds did give us some pleasant time, so we had no problem but enjoyed being on the beach and the pool for hours.

Until i was noticed that tape water from the bath was yellow and there was water having been dripping from the ceiling to my clothes' bag when we were out, I was wondering if Puri didn't have time/ attention/ enough staff to check and keep this pavilion clean.

Since we chose Puri for Aman's experience, I took it lightly of our pavilion's hardware.

I noticed the "dripping" area having a dirt mark when we checked in the pavilion. But it looked dry, so I simply thought it must have been taken care of before Puri assigned it to us.
That said, it is not a big deal. I just mentioned it as a fact as I wonder if Puri has noticed those issues or not (assuming Puri would take great care of their pavilions/ villas even they are not pavilion/private villa residence). It's because staying at Aman isn't cheap - we spent ~9,300usd for 5N in Puri. Could stay at FS/RC/PH/ other nice hotels and they can fix the problems faster, though we were going to Puri for a "service" experience vaccy.

I also wonder if Aman/ Puri would care about Flyertalk or not (I know they care about ISG). Or am I being too picky on them...🙄

About Amanpulo, when we went out from our villa, housekeeping service kept coming right after. Since we have been going out and back to our villa numerous times for various water sports every day and we always got a fresh villa to rest, we were surprised that how nice they treated guests and we felt being nicely spoilt!
We started to notice that they gave you this Ace service when once, we went back to the villa mid-way to get something, we saw housekeeping was there already! Such a remarkable service.

Last edited by Rachelmucha; May 16, 2017 at 9:21 pm Reason: Typo mistake

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.