Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Hard product vs. soft product

Hard product vs. soft product

Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:20 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by xracer
I don't consider location to be part of 'hard product'. Maybe others think differently?
I think it matters. What makes many of the resorts is their location as well.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by KatW
If you book through Virtuoso, you get an upgrade at Booking which is a rare wonderful thing and likely has limits. I would book a Jr Suite which should get you to at least a Deluxe jr suite and that matters.

You may not be able to upgrade at booking to a basic suite from a Deluxe jr suite but I would try.

The LB website shows a huge difference in jr suites. Maybe keep asking until you get one you like. Next time I book I will go right to Deluxe jr suite. This is one of those hotels that has many different categories.
Great post re le Bristol, and I totally agree that it is an exceptional hotel. There is a third category after Deluxe Jr., the lovely Prestige Junior Suites. I am not sure how high confirmed upgrades go as a rule, but of course one can always negotiate.

I also tend to book at least a Junior Suite at most hotels, or a large premier room. However, if traveling alone and not spending a lot of time at the hotel, I may opt for a deluxe room or equivalent. I avoid entry level rooms at all hotels unless I know them to be adequately spacious and well appointed.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:28 am

Like others, it is a blend ... a multi-variable equation, if you will, where a strong "Hard" may make up for a mediocre "Soft", and vice versa.

Too, as with most things in life, for us it is all about expectations - something this board does help set, for better and for worse.

Clearly I expect much different at a one-night stay at a Hampton Inn in North Dakota than I do at a FS, Aman, etc, both in terms of "Hard" and "Soft".

Ceteris paribus, I might have an ever-so-slight preference for "Hard" over "Soft", but then that's most likely because I am not a particularly "needy" guest (not a bad thing if one is), and am generally comfortable planning all elements of my travel, and directly asking for what I want.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bristol has great reports of service recovery lately. great posts. re recovery at FS paris, some great reports, some not so great, although some became better without details being shared. (understandably)

virtuoso suggests >
confirmed - jr suite > deluxe jr suite
if available - deluxe jr suite > deluxe suite > saint honore suite

any room # recommendations ?

It was in the extraordinary setting of Le Bristol Paris’ Panoramic Suite that Woody Allen chose to shoot scenes for his movie "Midnight in Paris".
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
there aren't any other restaurants nearby, was the two out of four nights they rented their signature restaurant out for events and relegated hotel guests to a table in the bar with a limited menu.
great hard product doesnt matter when closed for events without notice

soft deficiency if 'cannot' serve things besides what is on menu, kind of odd

Originally Posted by KatW
On the famous other hand, Laucala could be found only in tropical island locales with inexpensive labor in cultures that make an art of hospitality. Scratch Cap Juluka off your list. To detach Laucala from its environs simply is not possible, period.
that is one reason many here travel to asia (vs 'home')

i did say "like" as in investment including hard product

world could always use more luxury beachfront as well

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 22, 2017 at 11:40 am
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I care about hard product functionality far more than design. However, soft product comes first for me. I see the existence of well-executed hard product functionality as a result of the care and attention from the soft product. If a hotel has put great thought into designing everything around their guests, then for me they are already a huge step ahead in providing great service and a great experience overall.

I do prefer a hotel whose hard product provides a strong sense of place, but I will gladly forgo that for a functional room at a hotel with excellent service.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:43 pm

If the hard product is not there I will not stay and never experience the soft product.
If the hard product is great I will try but if the soft is disappointing I'll never be back.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
If the hard product is not there I will not stay and never experience the soft product.
If the hard product is great I will try but if the soft is disappointing I'll never be back.
+1. Could not have said it better myself.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by Nizar
+1. Could not have said it better myself.
+1^
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
In my opinion, hard product trumps soft in a beach resort. In a big city, soft product trumps hard product.
Examples: In Hawaii, Bora Bora, etc., the service is often sub-par, but that takes second place to a gorgeous ocean view, overwater bungalow with great shower and privacy. In a tropical environment, my focus is on the hard product. I have no expectations of great food and service.Service on a beach is a big plus as is a great beach.
Ritz Paris offered the best service I have ever encountered. So, that is my template for the best hard product and best soft product. Every need was anticipated. i have stayed in (nearly) every great hotel in Paris. The Ritz hard and soft product trumped every other hotel.
The best combination of soft and hard product in a U.S. (mainland )Hotel was the Carlyle in New York
I have to respectfully disagree about The Carlyle. Though on a recent stay we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite I thought the furnishings were reminiscent of a Holiday Inn. I also found the room service pricing offensive since it was way out of line even by NYC standards. If you want an excellent combination for a hard and soft product on the Upper East Side of Manhattan stay at either The Lowell or The Mark
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by laf747
I have to respectfully disagree about The Carlyle. Though on a recent stay we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite I thought the furnishings were reminiscent of a Holiday Inn. I also found the room service pricing offensive since it was way out of line even by NYC standards. If you want an excellent combination for a hard and soft product on the Upper East Side of Manhattan stay at either The Lowell or The Mark
I have had excellent service at the Carlyle, and find it to be perhaps the most elegant hotel in North America.

I certainly can't afford it at published rates, but it is an aspirational goal of mine to one day stay in the Empire Suite at this hotel (top suite). It exudes understated luxury, and for me is reminiscent of a bygone era of sophistication in New York.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I must have stayed at a different Carlyle in NYC than the one all you fans stayed at. This is the one on the UES with the elevator operators still, right? My suite sucked and the service was mediocre.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:42 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I must have stayed at a different Carlyle in NYC than the one all you fans stayed at. This is the one on the UES with the elevator operators still, right? My suite sucked and the service was mediocre.
Same Carlyle. Different experiences. I do like the elevator operator and the evening papers in the elevators. It is of a different era.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:21 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Never been, but from what I've heard, Amangiri.
I'm the outlier here. I loved both the hard and soft product at Amangiri. The soft product isn't as amazing as the truly incredible hard product, but it was pretty darn good. Especially when the utterly remote location is considered.

In my not humble at all opinion, too many people compare the Amangiri soft product to a city Peninsula or even to cheap labor Aman properties in the Third World.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:28 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
^^^

Perfectly stated.

I'll add that even if the hard product looks amazing, if the soft product isn't reviewed favorably by people I trust, I am unlikely to even try. The PH Vienna comes to mind here.

Originally Posted by Dgosche
Selfishly, I'd also love to know if there was a hotel that blew you away with hard product even if the soft product was less than stellar.
I'd say Azura Benguerra's Presidential Villa in Mozambique comes to mind. Amazing hard product--what a villa! But the soft product, including food/beverage, was atrocious. We were there for 5 nights at the end of our honeymoon in 2010.

I'd say the Aureum Palace Bagan's Island Villa in Myanmar/Burma comes to mind, as well. A truly amazing villa...with truly sad soft product all-around. We were there in Jan 2015.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:05 pm

I generally think that the hard product of most Amans (atleast the room) is horrid.
Service is usually awesome, but the rooms really look cheap and not nice.

Yes i know most people love the "timless design". I dont. I prefer a cheval blanc design any day of the week.
The overall grounds and locations are usually amazing though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.