Looking for Hotels driving from LA to San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for Hotels driving from LA to San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
Definitely stop in Big Sur but avoid Post Ranch Inn at all costs. Stay instead at Ventana Inn which, while hardly perfect, does not gouge quite so deeply and offers those wonderful Japanese baths under the stars and more accessible heated swimming pools. Beautiful property with friendly service.

Edit: yes, DavidO is correct Big Sur at Hwy 1 severed. And will remain so for at least a year.

Another choice, just up the road in Carmel Highlands, is Bernardus.
Ventana and Post Ranch are not even comparable to be honest. Especially if you go for one of the standalone units at PRI. Having only dined at Ventana while at PRI a few times I can't make a completely fair assessment, but Ventana just seems much bigger and that it will have far more people around all the time.

We had to cancel our PRI stay this year, but will certainly be back once all of Big Sur is accessible again. Nothing can beat waking up to the Pacific Ocean outside the ocean rooms there. Yes it's pricey, but if you want solitude and serenity, it's very tough to beat.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:19 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by javacodeguy
Ventana and Post Ranch are not even comparable to be honest. Especially if you go for one of the standalone units at PRI. Having only dined at Ventana while at PRI a few times I can't make a completely fair assessment, but Ventana just seems much bigger and that it will have far more people around all the time.

We had to cancel our PRI stay this year, but will certainly be back once all of Big Sur is accessible again. Nothing can beat waking up to the Pacific Ocean outside the ocean rooms there. Yes it's pricey, but if you want solitude and serenity, it's very tough to beat.
We have stayed at both venues including stand-alone unit at PRI. This latter is an amateur operation with pretentious restaurant, truly gothic horror show of a spa, and many dwellings in desperate need of refurbishing. The higher categories at Ventana are spacious, comfortable and attractive. The resort is easier to negotiate as its levels are not so steep. I'd stay anytime at Ventanas over PRI. Plus two sets of Japanese baths, two heated swimming pools. Solitude and serenity are in copious abundance at Ventanas.

Thus, agree to disagree.

Last edited by KatW; Apr 21, 2017 at 9:29 am
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pebble beach includes casa palmero

PRI is open, via helicopter
and is not that much smaller
(but are others closed?)

Originally Posted by offerendum
Near San Diego is PH Aviara.
and adjacent to PH >
fourseasons.com/northsandiego/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 28, 2017 at 9:08 pm
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I love Post Ranch Inn. But only the units facing the ocean. And I must admit if foggy ( it often is), it can be disappointing not to see the ocean! Pebble Beach Lodge ocean view rooms I also like even though not a golfer - just love the ocean. In Santa Barbara I like the Four Seasons but have a bit if nostalgia as been going for many years since was the orginal Biltmore. Also really like San Ysidro ranch but up in the hills whereas 4 Seasons is across the street from the ocean.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Scheduled to open any day now-

http://www.noburyokanmalibu.com/

No sure if children are allowed or not.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:10 pm

One option for a couple of nights is to head up to the Santa Ynez wine-country from Santa Barbara. Not too far a drive and the Ballard Inn is a nice place to stay. You can cycle around the various vineyards etc (might amuse the 4 year old?)
Old May 10, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: United 1k, SPG Gold
You could also try Carmel Valley Ranch, a bit more inland but quite nice. Depending on when you're going, you might have seen Post Ranch Inn is having accessibility issues (I think through June). They are offering helicopter service to get around it.

Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay is another place on your route I would recommend, but much closer to SF.

Originally Posted by tcmb99
carmel sounds great, any hotel recs there as well or should i just go with post ranch inn?
Old May 10, 2017, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sunnyskiesCA
You could also try Carmel Valley Ranch, a bit more inland but quite nice. Depending on when you're going, you might have seen Post Ranch Inn is having accessibility issues (I think through June). They are offering helicopter service to get around it.

Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay is another place on your route I would recommend, but much closer to SF.
If one were flying into SFO and renting a car, Half Moon Bay would be a good place to recover from jet lag.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:49 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tcmb99
carmel sounds great, any hotel recs there as well or should i just go with post ranch inn?
Having had so many friends go to PRI and be disappointed/feel gouged, combined with the accessibility challenges due to the PCH bridge being out, I'd avoid it.

Carmel is absolutely spectacular, and the Bernardus Lodge is where you'd want to stay. Here is my review from Sept 2015:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...alifornia.html

Our friends were married near the Carmel Valley Ranch. It isn't nearly as luxe as Bernardus, FYI.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:15 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Regarding Santa Barbara, I would avoid Bacara.
@uclabruin82, would you elaborate on this? As of today, it is a Ritz Carlton property.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
@uclabruin82, would you elaborate on this? As of today, it is a Ritz Carlton property.
I think R-C will improve this property massively. The problem was never the hard product, so given a little time, R-C should knock it into shape. We need something with quality in Santa Barbara, as everything else there disappoints.
SanDiego1K and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I think R-C will improve this property massively. The problem was never the hard product, so given a little time, R-C should knock it into shape. We need something with quality in Santa Barbara, as everything else there disappoints.
As one who lives in Santa Barbara, I can say that the Bacara is not really in Santa Barbara. And that's not really splitting hairs. It is off to itself a good 15 minutes north of town. I don't care for it much as it looks more like a condo project than a hotel. And if you're coming to Santa Barbara to enjoy the town at all, you'll feel a bit isolated at Bacara. I think there are better beach destinations and I'd personally prefer to enjoy some of the attractions of the city. I don't think Ritz can do much to the property that will make it a compelling stand alone destination.

All that said one can have their disagreements about the quality of the other choices at the top end in SB (El Encanto, or the Four Seasons, or San Ysidro Ranch). The truth is they are all lovely and a much better locations. Just opened in the past week or so is the new Hotel Californian. While not a resort property (lacks the acreage for it) it looks to be a very nice hotel with a small but well placed rooftop pool with a great view. Not at all in the same category as the resorts mentioned, but I'd choose his property over the Bacara any day. The location is excellent for enjoying the tourist activities of SB (wineries, restaurants, typical sight seeing stuff).

Next on the scene will be the Rosewood (the former Miramar Hotel). The buildings look to be largely framed now and as an ocean front property (for some of the rooms) it will have no competition other than Bacara. I doubt it will be a profitable venture for the investors but it should be a nice property.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by peter11
As one who lives in Santa Barbara, I can say that the Bacara is not really in Santa Barbara. And that's not really splitting hairs. It is off to itself a good 15 minutes north of town. I don't care for it much as it looks more like a condo project than a hotel. And if you're coming to Santa Barbara to enjoy the town at all, you'll feel a bit isolated at Bacara. I think there are better beach destinations and I'd personally prefer to enjoy some of the attractions of the city. I don't think Ritz can do much to the property that will make it a compelling stand alone destination.

All that said one can have their disagreements about the quality of the other choices at the top end in SB (El Encanto, or the Four Seasons, or San Ysidro Ranch). The truth is they are all lovely and a much better locations. Just opened in the past week or so is the new Hotel Californian. While not a resort property (lacks the acreage for it) it looks to be a very nice hotel with a small but well placed rooftop pool with a great view. Not at all in the same category as the resorts mentioned, but I'd choose his property over the Bacara any day. The location is excellent for enjoying the tourist activities of SB (wineries, restaurants, typical sight seeing stuff).

Next on the scene will be the Rosewood (the former Miramar Hotel). The buildings look to be largely framed now and as an ocean front property (for some of the rooms) it will have no competition other than Bacara. I doubt it will be a profitable venture for the investors but it should be a nice property.
Thanks for the post. As a local, what's your take on El Encanto vs. FS vs. San Ysidro?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Thanks for the post. As a local, what's your take on El Encanto vs. FS vs. San Ysidro?
Hey, here is my take even though I am not a local:

El Encanto -- hilltop with views over town and sea.

FS -- beach side, but across the highway.

San Ysidro -- a bit out of town, expansive and beautifully gardened. Most expensive of the three.
callmedtop and FlyerEC like this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by peter11

Thank you so much for this. I love the location and style of FS SB, but not the service and food. I was hoping for an improvement on both!
obscure2k and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.