Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Stories of great luxury hotel service recovery

Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:13 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Whenever there are discussions about what makes a true luxury hotel, one of the common refrains is that "things can go wrong anywhere, but at a luxury hotel, you can be confident that they'll make it right."

I'm curious: what are the best recovery gestures you've experienced?

On the smaller side, one day at Amankila, we returned to our room after breakfast to find that housekeeping hadn't been through yet. I called down and asked to have the room cleaned, and the GM profusely apologized (I hadn't complained, simply asked for housekeeping) and walked up to our suite with some candy and a pair of handmade wooden serving spoons by way of apology. Small gesture, but way over the top for such a minor lapse.

And then there was the time at the R-C Arlington (very debatably a luxury hotel these days, though I had great stays there years ago) when I noticed that the tiny ketchup bottle that came with my room service meal had already been opened/used. I called down to complain and ask for another one, and the GM called back a few minutes later to let me know that my stay would be comped. This was a more serious issue (could be serious food safety problems if I hadn't noticed before eating it), but again, I felt that the recovery gesture was excellent.

I'm sure you all have much better stories, and I'd love to hear them.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:33 am

We recently stayed on the Oberoi vessel Vrinda - the air conditioning failed on our second night - actually through no fault of the boat but because water levels had fallen the pump had sucked in some weed from the bottom of the lake. They tried very hard to fix it but it was rather warm in the cabin that night! First we had an apologetic email quickly followed by the offer of a refund of half of our stay - great service recovery!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:10 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Belmon Villa Sant'Andrea. We were upgraded to a great suite (one with a name) but it ended up being next to the bar, which seemed to have action up until late.. I mentioned it at checkout and they took 20% off our bill, which I thought was fair.

Amanjena: housekeeping had started on our room the day that we left even though we had late check out (they were preparing for a large buy out group). I mentioned it to Astrid and on checkout she apologized profusely and gave us two Amanjena leather wallets.

Poor service recovery:
Amanyara- we had signed up for massages and the only thing available was a couples option (which we hate). When we arived, we asked if there was an option to not have the massage together and they said yes; leading us to our separate pavillions. About 10 minutes in a phone call came to my pavillion... which ultimate resulted in me being moved to the same pavillion as my wife (who was not told)... I was expecting an apology of some sort when we were done but none was to be had.. we weren't even given the traditional card that they give at the end. I ended up emailing the resident manager, Audrey, who actually never followed up with me. The spa manager did come find me a the pool and apologize; but apparently he didn't know about the mix up until Audrey had informed him. He offerred two more treatments on the house, not knowing that we were leaving the next day. Finally he comped our treatments and then asked if there was anything else he could do.. I hate asking for stuff but it would have been nice if he had offered a bottle of wine or something....

FDW
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:53 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LM225

And then there was the time at the R-C Arlington (very debatably a luxury hotel these days, though I had great stays there years ago) when I noticed that the tiny ketchup bottle that came with my room service meal had already been opened/used. I called down to complain and ask for another one, and the GM called back a few minutes later to let me know that my stay would be comped. This was a more serious issue (could be serious food safety problems if I hadn't noticed before eating it), but again, I felt that the recovery gesture was excellent.
Wow. If he would have comped your "steak" not your "stay" , it would have been good enough in my view.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I stayed at the Heathrow Renaissance on an employee friends and family rate. The first night, the air conditioning did not work in the room, and they were full, so they apologized and asked that if it's not too much of a hassle, to stay in the warm room for that night, and that they'd move me in the morning. Apparently the evening front desk clerk did not leave a note about it, so when I spoke to the front desk again the next morning, they had no idea.

They rush cleaned a few rooms, and gave me an upgrade to a runway view room with better amenities (remember, I was staying on an employee friends and family rate!) and let me pick which room I wanted from the ones that were just cleaned.

I thought that was a very nice gesture! The rate was non-earning of course, but apparently all of my room service meals and room charged meals at the restaurants earned points (so now I have orphaned Marriott points).
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:16 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
No. 1a best service recovery--Amanwana, May 2009. We arrived having confirmed in advance that they could cool the tents to 20 C at night. It was 26 C in the day but were assured it would cool down. It didn't. GM came and brought 3 fans to cool for 1st night...and promised he'd fix it the next day. Next day, they flew in 2 new air con units from Lombok to replace those in our tent...which brought it down to 23-24 C. They also flew in from Bali a portable air con unit, cut a hole in tent window, and that brought it down to 21 C at night. While not perfect, I was mightily impressed.

No. 1b best service recovery--Amanwana, May 2009. After diving turned out to be not so good, and with the above air con during day not great for me, and water extremely warm (33-34 C!), I asked GM if it were possible to depart early and stay at Amanusa instead. Within 30 min, GM had us switched out to fly next morning to Bali for rest of our stay in the Amanusa Suite at Amanusa. No charge.

No. 2 best service recovery--St. Regis San Francisco, Dec 2016. After a poor service/air con/blackout stay in Dec 2015, the hotel comp'd us an Astor Suite for 3 nights in Dec 2016. After 2 prior paid stays in Metro/Astor Suites the month prior, they still upgraded us to the Metropolitan Suite on the comp'd stay, and responded to my blackout shade complaint by installing a 3rd set of shades for the bedroom. They also sent us champagne for our first night's dinner at Quince, gave us comp rides in the hotel Bentley, provided comp'd tea service, and provided comp'd spa treatments. They really went overboard...but that's why I almost always stay here whenever in SF.

No. 3 best service recovery--The Upper House, May 2014. After air con failed on our first of 2 nights, I wanted to leave after not sleeping well at all. Their response changed my mind. They went overboard. They upgraded us to amazing Suite, allowed us super late check out since our flight didnt leave until midnight, comp'd us drives to all restaurants/metro station, airport transfers, and gave us so many extra treats and gifts that it became a little ridiculous! They really turned it around and made us feel like VIPs and part of the family.

No. 4 best service recovery--Gritti Palace, Oct 2016. Had issue with private driver/boat transfer on our return from dinner at Le Calandre--forcing us to wait almost 45 min for transport. Only service miss in our entire stay. Mentioned it but didn't ask for anything, since they'd given us major suite upgrade already. Next day, head concierge told us they would comp our private Riva boat experience (a 1200 euro comp!). I actually tried to decline, as that was ridiculously more than necessary for the service miscue (the private driver was only 300 euro, after all). But the head concierge and later the GM wouldn't budge. An amazing and supremely generous offer.

No. 5 best service recovery--St. Regis Bora Bora, April 2015. After several breakfast and morning coffee service fiascoes/misses, and then a few housekeeping misses/screw-ups, we finally complained to the Asst GM. That was the end of our service issues--and the beginning of heaven! (They'd already upgraded us to the Royal Villa, which is why it took quite a while before I even thought to complain.) Our butler was assigned to us 100%, something I've never seen at any St. Regis or any other hotel anywhere...and our stay was crazy perfect from that point forward. It truly made our stay feel like we were at our own private villa amidst a resort community. She was incredible. Unforgettable.

No. 6 best service recovery--Halkin by COMO, London. Oct 2013. After an air con fail and service fail fiasco on our first visit a year before, the Halkin had comp'd us 2 nights in their COMO Suite with terrace. We paid for the 3rd night at discount. It was a flawless stay this time! They treated us like gold..which is why we love this hotel.

No. 7 best service recovery--Amankila, May 2009. After noticing people could see into our Pool Suite where we often were naked, we asked if someone could hang something to seal the "window" that permitted the lack of privacy. We left for a bike tour and returned to learn they upgraded the couple near us so that no one would possibly come/go near us and see thru the window--and they wouldn't use that nearby suite to avoid the problem. Elegant solution for us and the other couple, too!

No. 8 best service recovery--Aman Summer Palace, Beijing, May 2012. After the most ridiculous, horrible screw-up with breakfast ever by no less than the F&B Manager, which we still can't believe, delaying our outing for the day for no reason, the hotel comp'd us 1 night and then--over my protest--the GM went above and beyond comp'ing us a massage and a meal in the Continental restaurant for our final night with wine of our choice. (We chose an inexpensive wine.) It was a stupid, unbelievable screw-up...but reaffirmed how Aman recovers better than anyone.

No. 9 best service recovery--St. Regis Lhasa, May 2012. After an air con fail and numerous service screw-ups, more screw-ups with food orders, drink orders, and even follow up from management, the hotel upgraded us to the amazing Everest Suite...but the final touch was the comp'd final tasting menu dinner to make up for the many F&B misses. It was a wonderful meal (our only good one at the hotel!) and a beautiful gesture.

And then, on the other end:

Worst service recovery--Halekulani, Nov 2007. Was there for dive holiday gift for my hubby's 50th in a paid Diamondhead Suite. had several small but stupid mistakes in our first day or two--but nothing major. First morning, had pre-ordered breakfast hanging on door since we had to depart by 7 am. Second morning, that same breakfast order never came...and we discovered they never picked up the door menu! Complained before rushing out without breakfast, expecting to be comp'd a meal for the error. Returned to be given another bottle of the $6 wine that graces most of the rooms. I was pissed. After working through several managers, it became apparent they thought we lied about putting out the menu. They were "investigating". We were in a paid Diamondhead Suite--really? Ended up talking to the GM, one Ms. Cxxxxx--I'll never forget. She was as incompetent as a management trainee. She ended up leaving the hotel when she had agreed to call us back. I ended up writing emails to the entire executive team at the hotel and its parent corporation--but never heard a peep in response. Then I discovered a letter had been mailed months later to my work address mailbox with a poorly written apology letter indicating they had refunded 3 of our 5 nights. Only then did I check and realize they had refunded 3 of our 5 nights! They handled the matter poorly on-site and handled it just as poorly after the fact even as they were trying to be more than fair. I refused to stay at the hotel again until Ms. Cxxxx was no longer the GM.

Last edited by bhrubin; Mar 23, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:37 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
A lot of air con issues! I don't blame you though, I like it ice cold.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by United747
A lot of air con issues! I don't blame you though, I like it ice cold.
I routinely ask luxury hotels to confirm in advance that they can cool to 68 F/20 C. In really hot places, I often ask for 65 F/19 C, since I don't trust most hotel air con systems. If they confirm the temperature in writing, I am good to go. If they don't, I usually won't go. So when things go wrong, I am almost always covered.

Most hotels actually deliver under those circumstances...but not all. The air con "going out" failures are rare...but they happen to me here and there, of course. Not only The Upper House, but the Lodhi and Amarvilas had air con failures recently while I was in India. They each refunded us half a night room rate.

I won't go back to the FS Hualalai because of their air con issues, no matter how much I like the hotel. They don't even try to guarantee 68 F/20 C. They ended up refunding 3 of 5 nights...but they handled it less well than others on my list, believe it or not. (For my next visit to the Big Island after that, not a single hotel on the Kona coast would guarantee in writing 68 F air con at night! So we stayed in a cheap suite at the Sheraton. If I'm going to suffer, I'm not going to pay a lot.)

Last edited by bhrubin; Mar 23, 2017 at 9:52 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:13 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
That's pretty surprising nobody would confirm 68. I usually set things immediately to 18-20 when I get to the room, but never thought of asking in advance. I may have to try that when I head to Vegas this summer.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:49 pm
Community Director Emerita

I need to go to the bhrubin school of how to effectively communicate service lapses to management.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:04 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
No issues at truly luxury hotels. Maybe I've been lucky or am really relaxed about most service errors.

At "nice-ish chain hotels" had a Feb 2014 family trip to Rome and we stayed at the Waldorf Astoria there. Had a cockroach in my bathroom, and Im terribly afraid of bugs. My entire stay was comped, including all f&b charges to my room. I ended up moving to the St. Regis as I just couldn't sleep at the WA, while the rest of my family staid at the WA, and for the trouble of splitting us up the GM provided compd. car service daily for my family to meet me, and sent a bottle of champagne to my parents and siblings per room. Should note, I have been back to the WA since with the parentals, most recently this past year for my November school break
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Quinlanty
No issues at truly luxury hotels. Maybe I've been lucky or am really relaxed about most service errors.

At "nice-ish chain hotels" had a Feb 2014 family trip to Rome and we stayed at the Waldorf Astoria there. Had a cockroach in my bathroom, and Im terribly afraid of bugs. My entire stay was comped, including all f&b charges to my room. I ended up moving to the St. Regis as I just couldn't sleep at the WA, while the rest of my family staid at the WA, and for the trouble of splitting us up the GM provided compd. car service daily for my family to meet me, and sent a bottle of champagne to my parents and siblings per room. Should note, I have been back to the WA since with the parentals, most recently this past year for my November school break
That is quite the service recovery, indeed! Though I'm rather surprised that you don't consider the WA Rome as truly luxury.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:32 pm

Serious food safety problems? Because they didn't notice some of the ketchup has been taken? Oh, what a world we live in *sigh*...
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I need to go to the bhrubin school of how to effectively communicate service lapses to management.
I'm often told that.

Truthfully, I believe most people don't really complain while on-site even when things go pretty awry...instead following what I consider to be a passive-aggressive approach, not saying a thing there and then complaining about it afterward on blogs/reviews and to everyone they can. It's impossible for a hotel to recover when you don't share that something is wrong in the first place.

I actually think that's why air con can be so hit or miss at so many (even luxury) hotels--most people don't seem to really care about it being a little warm, so hotels mistakenly believe the illusion that their air con works well. Then I come along and educate them.

Most people also don't ask for something specific and/or appropriate when things go wrong. But the hotels/managers that don't need you to do that and still recover with aplomb are the stars.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: TK E+
Not really a luxury hotel, but used to be a regular guest at an IC in Asia. Arriving late one night after almost 30 hours of traveling, with a rather important meeting the morning after, just to find my suitcase had gone missing. The excellent Club staff told me to go to bed and not worry. When I woke up the next morning, a shirt and suit (that fitted almost perfectly) was waiting for me. I still got the suit and the hotel never wanted any money for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.