Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend break from from Singapore or Manila

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Weekend break from from Singapore or Manila

I will be on a business trip at the start of June that gives me definitely 1 probably 2 nights free at the weekend somewhere a short flight from either Singapore or Manila.

I will be travelling alone so don't need a huge room or villa. Would I be mad to consider Amanjiwo for one night? I would feel too guilty to do 2 nights without my family given the cost and the great reviews on here! Would 2 nights in Bangkok at the MO or Siam etc... be a better bet? I will have time in both of the two cities mentioned with work so am keen to go somewhere else at the weekend.

I would be interested to know where others might go/stay given the weather. Some of the Thai options sound like they will be very rainy. I am not a massive lover of beaches and don't have the need for privacy that many on this board do. I rather like people watching particularly if alone. I would normally use Amex or a Virtuoso agent to book.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1-2 nights at amanjiwo could be used to plan family trip
1-2 nights in bali could be used to check out properties there

many here do short trips and switch properties
could ask about unpacking/packing services

not sure re weather, but re thailand >
similarly could do chiang mai / golden triangle for example
all these are same owner >
golden triangle - anantara / FS
chiang mai - FS (doesnt own anantara)
bangkok - anantara (ex FS) / st regis

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 27, 2017 at 10:33 pm
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
June is not ideal weather in SE Asia, typhoon season etc
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:58 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by kzap
June is not ideal weather in SE Asia, typhoon season etc
Sounds like he will already be in SE Asia for work so weather is a non factor (well it's a factor but...)...

How about Laos? Azerai or Amantaka might be okay for a short two night stay. I would stay a min of two nights at Amanjiwo and if the price point is too high (ie you would rather do it with your family) then the Azerai would be a great option...

Looks like Silkair has a 3x weekly SIN-VTE-LPQ-SIN
FDW
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:07 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I don't have a ton of travel experience in that area, but I was not a fan of Amantaka. It seemed like it was dying. Amansara was much more fun and you can learn a lot. There are other places in Siem Reap that are probably a much better value, like Phum Baitang or the Park Hyatt, that I'd choose were I to return.

One really adventurous and memorable idea might be to take the Druk Air flight from Singapore to Paro. Stay at the Como and hike the Tiger's Nest one day. Amankora Paro was the only weak Amankora property, so COMO.

Or go to the strand in myanmar for a day.

I've never been to Amanjiwo, but it looks really great online.

I think that the FS GT is a lot of fun, but frankly, I'm glad I went with my spouse and it's worth waiting for.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. My dates are set unfortunately with work so I have no choice on season.

It's not a bad dilemma to have, there is just too much choice! I think I am just struggling with such a short number of days plus so many great places are the kind of options that would only make sense with my husband and/ or kids rather than as a solo woman traveller. I think the option of treating it as a taster trip is a good one.

I have been to Siem Riep and Luang Prabang plus much of Vietnam before but backpacking many years ago. The new AZ option is a good shout. I hadn't seen that one. I am off to google the other suggestions now.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:08 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Indonesia has nice weather in June.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:32 pm

Go to Bangkok. Easy to do 2 nights and pack it full of fun. Wonderful city for a single traveler. Great hotel options (MO for me) with great spas - though I strongly suggest a massage at Wat Pho. Food tours are also great fun. Check Nancy Chandler's map (and website) of Bangkok for fantastic sites to visit. Sadly she passed away but her daughter took over and the map is still the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.