Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oslo Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Musken
I am surprised that there actually is aircondition in hotels in Norway. Most days we have only around 10 degrees celcius at night even in summer. I do not see the need at all and do not know anyone with aircondition at home in Norway. But of course, it there is one, it should be quiet.
I understand what you're saying, but I think it would be hard to run a luxury hotel without it. Also, I've stayed in the most northern parts of Sweden, and on the rare occasions when the temperature doesn't drop it really is awful not to be able to get the temperature down to a reasonable level.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
I am surprised that there actually is aircondition in hotels in Norway. Most days we have only around 10 degrees celcius at night even in summer. I do not see the need at all and do not know anyone with aircondition at home in Norway. But of course, it there is one, it should be quiet.
I take your point. Personally I would always be happier to crack a window a little rather than use A/C. But given the street noise in many instances that just isn't practical. And it just seems to be stuffy with the windows closed if there is no air movement.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've checked out lots of homes in Scandinavian countries, and I can't recall ever seeing an air conditioning unit meant to cool hot temperatures down to something way more comfortable. But a small minority of hotels in Scandinavia do seem to have AC of sorts meant to help cool things off.

There have been some summers in Stockholm, Oslo and Copenhagen where the AC was very much needed by me for me to get a good night's sleep. Fortunately, some hotels had just what I needed in this regard and I did kick down the temperature.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by kmd0506
We just returned from our honeymoon and spent 2 nights at the Hotel Continental in Oslo (we also stayed at the Sheraton Stockholm, Upper House Gothia Towers in Gothenburg and Nimb in Copenhagen for reference). We liked, but did not love Hotel Continental but I would stay there again. We booked through the American Express FHR so had some extra benefits.

The room was very nice. The air conditioning was the best we had among the trip- it was the only room that got cool enough for us to sleep comfortably without opening the windows. The location was great and we walked everywhere from the hotel.

Service was another story- bellman stared at us as we got our luggage out of a taxi and got it into the hotel ourselves. My husbands breakfast order was forgotten the one morning he tried to order off the menu.

One other note- as a couple in our 40's we were among the youngest hotel guests by far (at least among those we saw at breakfast each morning). We are ok with that, and location and room comfort are more important to me, but my observation was it was not a young crowd and if that's important to you Thief might be a better choice.
In Oslo, I think it is the Thief, though the location is a bit eccentric for the traditional centre of the city.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: LHW membership
I had very low expectations from Thief therefore I feel the disappointment was not as painful. We were upgraded to a nice suite. Well, they called it a suite but it was more less two identical rooms just interconnecting. The service was very laid back with nothing that would stand out. The biggest disappointment was the spa, their USP. It is actually very small with just a few beds to lay on. Those beds are hardly serviced so you are left alone to clean after previous visitor. The pool is too small to swim in and not even warm enough. On a positive note, they provide some free refreshments like peanuts and fruit upon request. The fitness facilities were a-ok, 24hrs availability yet not maintained very well. When i arrived for my afternoon workout most of the machines were wet after previous user.
Two weeks after our departure and my partner is still following up with the management due to some problems with taxi services. Email communication is not one of their strengths.

Not all doom and gloom, the breakfast selection was very nice, location is supreme, right next to the 'beach'. Probably the best equipped mini bar I have ever seen - for sale of course. They are trying to sell you absolutely everything via minibar. Carita cosmetics in bathrooms, greedy sizes though, not even refreshed on our second night, use sparingly! The restaurant and bar on the roof are very nice too.

Probably the best option in Oslo, would go back just because there is nothing else.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dorsia
I had very low expectations from Thief therefore I feel the disappointment was not as painful. We were upgraded to a nice suite. Well, they called it a suite but it was more less two identical rooms just interconnecting. The service was very laid back with nothing that would stand out. The biggest disappointment was the spa, their USP. It is actually very small with just a few beds to lay on. Those beds are hardly serviced so you are left alone to clean after previous visitor. The pool is too small to swim in and not even warm enough. On a positive note, they provide some free refreshments like peanuts and fruit upon request. The fitness facilities were a-ok, 24hrs availability yet not maintained very well. When i arrived for my afternoon workout most of the machines were wet after previous user.
Two weeks after our departure and my partner is still following up with the management due to some problems with taxi services. Email communication is not one of their strengths.

Not all doom and gloom, the breakfast selection was very nice, location is supreme, right next to the 'beach'. Probably the best equipped mini bar I have ever seen - for sale of course. They are trying to sell you absolutely everything via minibar. Carita cosmetics in bathrooms, greedy sizes though, not even refreshed on our second night, use sparingly! The restaurant and bar on the roof are very nice too.

Probably the best option in Oslo, would go back just because there is nothing else.
The fun of staying in a hotel in Norway! I can totally relate to your feelings, although I am still shocked about certain things (not replenishing bathroom amenities is not a service issue).

At least you've seen the city.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:15 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by Dorsia
Thanks Dorsia for sharing your impressions/stay experiences about The Thief Oslo.

Actually we enjoyed the Hotel Continental Oslo two years ago [2015], at least for us it's a beautiful and memorable hotel, owned by the Brochmann family, their 4th generation, it's also a member of LHW, but it's different in style and ambiance as a grand luxury classic hotel.

Please see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24749016-post9.html [Our Hotel Continental, Oslo, Norway, 04/2015 review incl. photos]

It's all about personal taste, but having written this, we would be open in our future to enjoy a stay at The Thief as well, when visiting hopefully Oslo again.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: LHW membership
Thank you Uggboy,
We actually considered the Hotel Continental Oslo since our friends stayed there during our visit. I was not very impressed by the outdated deco and tired walls. I am a huge fan of classic style, but this hotel was rather tired and in need of a refurb. My friends also told me that some of the F&B facilities were closed due to holidays, I think it was the main, historic restaurant. Otherwise the location is excellent, I agree!
The Thief, in contrary, had some great selection of bars and restaurants open throughout the day, the rooms are very modern so is the architecture. I also noticed the demographics of the Thief - young professionals, artists, loads of young ladies and gents, there was even a a band gig on the roof one night. Busy lobby, people standing outside, you get the picture. Hotel Continental attracts a different clientele, more mature travellers, married couples with children etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.