Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanresorts Thread 2017

Amanresorts Thread 2017

Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:01 am

Has anyone stayed at Aman Tokyo recently? Have they finally gotten their act together? The way the hotel seems to deal with its guests is a bit concerning... TripAdvisor comments are addressed with "Dear Guest", as is correspondence within the hotel plus welcome letters. Fairly anonymous for my taste. In a city like Tokyo, the typical heartfelt Aman welcome would be much appreciated, from what I gather they still fail to deliver.

I hear this "issue" has been fixed, although I find this hard to believe. Marc Handl seems like an experienced hospitality professional, but does he understand what makes an Aman?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Again, I don't want to go too far astray and into OMNI territory, but I find this type of prejudicial behavior offensive -- the absolute antithesis of what a luxury experience should be.

I'm not naive, and realize this probably happens elsewhere, but to be so explicit about it really turns me off. Too, now that I know, I cannot "unring the bell" - nor would I wish to do so - and will thus never condone such behavior by giving them any of my money.

Thank you for providing further context. It does not at all excuse their actions - nor do I think that your intent - but I do appreciate a more full understanding of your experience, and how it happened.

Though I realize this Aman is government owned, and thus I should not be terribly surprised, I still find such behavior abhorrent, and entirely antithetical to AZ's "Aman Ethos".
The question should be whether one can avoid the PRC all together. They did say that had they not reported the Xinjiang resident to the authorities, they would probably be shut down (may or may not be an exaggeration).

We last went to Amanpulo in Dec 15 and skipped it last year (and also for the foreseeable future). I completely understand why some would want to avoid certain destinations because of the politics of the country.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by scented
Has anyone stayed at Aman Tokyo recently? Have they finally gotten their act together? The way the hotel seems to deal with its guests is a bit concerning... TripAdvisor comments are addressed with "Dear Guest", as is correspondence within the hotel plus welcome letters. Fairly anonymous for my taste. In a city like Tokyo, the typical heartfelt Aman welcome would be much appreciated, from what I gather they still fail to deliver.

I hear this "issue" has been fixed, although I find this hard to believe. Marc Handl seems like an experienced hospitality professional, but does he understand what makes an Aman?
I'll be staying there this week and my previous stay was in October. So far, the correspondence with the concierge has been pretty good. They even managed to purchase 2 Pokemon Go Pluses for me (they're sold out in the US). Happy to report back any thoughts.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:49 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Deleted as incomplete
Clicked by mistake

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jan 8, 2017 at 9:00 am
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Again, I don't want to go too far astray and into OMNI territory, but I find this type of prejudicial behavior offensive -- the absolute antithesis of what a luxury experience should be.

I'm not naive, and realize this probably happens elsewhere, but to be so explicit about it really turns me off. Too, now that I know, I cannot "unring the bell" - nor would I wish to do so - and will thus never condone such behavior by giving them any of my money.

Thank you for providing further context. It does not at all excuse their actions - nor do I think that your intent - but I do appreciate a more full understanding of your experience, and how it happened.

Though I realize this Aman is government owned, and thus I should not be terribly surprised, I still find such behavior abhorrent, and entirely antithetical to AZ's "Aman Ethos".
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
The question should be whether one can avoid the PRC all together. They did say that had they not reported the Xinjiang resident to the authorities, they would probably be shut down (may or may not be an exaggeration).

We last went to Amanpulo in Dec 15 and skipped it last year (and also for the foreseeable future). I completely understand why some would want to avoid certain destinations because of the politics of the country.
Well , that is really how it is in certain countries - not only the ones mentioned . If you have been following global news & in between the lines , governments or potential / soon to be office bearers / " related " mandate is just it .
Abide / obey or face consequences , perhaps even life inprisonment or death for individuals .
Besides AZ likely wouldn't have been able to do anything if he were still in charge . Definitely against his ethos .

Travel destinations can & will become rather limited how things are looking
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:08 am

Has anyone stayed at Aman Tokyo recently? Have they finally gotten their act together? The way the hotel seems to deal with its guests is a bit concerning....
In a city like Tokyo, the typical heartfelt Aman welcome would be much appreciated, from what I gather they still fail to deliver.

Originally Posted by BlackHappy
I'll be staying there this week and my previous stay was in October. So far, the correspondence with the concierge has been pretty good. They even managed to purchase 2 Pokemon Go Pluses for me (they're sold out in the US). Happy to report back any thoughts.
Seems to be improving but will check with Izume San who is newly arrived from Aman Tokyo & now based in Nusa .
Have to find out too as potential stay in April / May enroute to SEA
Thanks BlackHappy , waiting to hear from you
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Well , that is really how it is in certain countries - not only the ones mentioned . If you have been following global news & in between the lines , governments or potential / soon to be office bearers / " related " mandate is just it .
Abide / obey or face consequences , perhaps even life inprisonment or death for individuals .
Besides AZ likely wouldn't have been able to do anything if he were still in charge . Definitely against his ethos .

Travel destinations can & will become rather limited how things are looking
To keep things roughly on topic, I will just ask: how many Amans can one visit that aren't in areas where a reasonably tolerant person might have an issue with the politics of the host country? (And I find myself mostly in agreement with both FlyerEC and aa213bb btw.)

Indonesia -- no.
Philippines -- no.
China -- no.
Turkey -- no.
Vietnam -- ?
Cambodia -- ?

Those would be my answers, anyway. YMMV.

It is an increasingly difficult issue for a luxury traveller that actually cares about these things. And it is, IMO, not clear cut either. Although I rated the Philippines as a "no" one could also take the stance that the Sorianos (sp?) seem to be decent and make significant contributions to charity and local welfare around Amanpulo and maybe that tilts the balance the other way. But if one holds local countries to the standards of the Western EU (Canada, etc.) the number of destinations we have to choose from is small indeed.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: some

Stayed over the summer and it was phenomenal. Easily one of the best city stays I've had anywhere. Concierge team was great, food excellent, facilities stunning, room beautiful, service fabulous. If only the price was a bit lower, I'd stay there all the time!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Fliar
Stayed over the summer and it was phenomenal. Easily one of the best city stays I've had anywhere. Concierge team was great, food excellent, facilities stunning, room beautiful, service fabulous. If only the price was a bit lower, I'd stay there all the time!
So pleased to hear this... might pair Aman Tokyo with FS or MO at some point. Was Mr Handl present throughout your stay? Thank you.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:49 am

Thanks for the great review of Amansara scented - Astrid is a very nice person, I agree.

Right from the beginning, Amansara did not offer room service, but over the years, management was persuaded to make exceptions. They are ot really set up for it, though, hence the lack of a menu.

Is Molly still the chef there? If so, she is a star.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Thanks for the great review of Amansara scented - Astrid is a very nice person, I agree.

Right from the beginning, Amansara did not offer room service, but over the years, management was persuaded to make exceptions. They are ot really set up for it, though, hence the lack of a menu.

She is and every meal was a delight in taste and presentation! Very fine cuisine without pretense.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:56 am

She is and every meal was a delight in taste and presentation! Very fine cuisine without pretense.
Ah, I thought Molly had to be still there. Such a superb chef. I wonder how long she will stay now Sally has left, as they were good friends.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
To keep things roughly on topic, I will just ask: how many Amans can one visit that aren't in areas where a reasonably tolerant person might have an issue with the politics of the host country?
From 20 January does this exclude Amangani and Amangiri?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ridefar
To keep things roughly on topic, I will just ask: how many Amans can one visit that aren't in areas where a reasonably tolerant person might have an issue with the politics of the host country?
Would say at least 10, with at leat 20 still tolerable.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:38 am

Ah, I thought Molly had to be still there. Such a superb chef. I wonder how long she will stay now Sally has left, as they were good friends.
Glad Molly is still there for the time being . But better visit soon as she will be taking a well deserved " break " .

Hopefully , another inspired chef will join the team .

The Indon Amans are being worked on in this area - F & B .
Kila & Nusa ' s meals are verging on superb for every item . Some are " to die for " . Thanks to Shane L .
Newly minted Lorenzo B at Nusa is one to watch .. Possibly fly in / stay / visit just for his cuisine .

Now to get back to N'oi too ..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.