Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Old Aug 14, 2016, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I presume that she would want to get more Virtuoso business. Why else would she go to a Virtuoso conference? Sorry for the "corrected" phrase. I meant that a GM should probably prefer to not have a single source of US and Euro bookings like FHR, but to have a more diversified portfolio of influx.
Ah ok, I understand what you mean ^
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Correct. Mind, you can walk from the elevators right out the front door in flip flops. Or to the pool. And you can wear flip flops to breakfast. But that's pretty much it. When you do enter the lobby wearing such clothes, you can sort of sense that you are being gently guided to the doors or elevator. In short, every single person who enters the lobby is addressed. No one can just wander in and wander around without the staff knowing about it.
That's good news.

I was there in February for a few days and it was a zoo, with tourists in flip flops and shorts even in the author lounge.

Happy to know this has changed or was an one-off.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
That's good news.

I was there in February for a few days and it was a zoo, with tourists in flip flops and shorts even in the author lounge.

Happy to know this has changed or was an one-off.
I hope it has changed. But I should also say that this is the low season and the Oriental was only half full. Contrast that with the IC Bangkok (and IC KL) where it is high season due to the huge number of visitors from the Gulf region who love Intercontinental. Both those hotels are packed full. It's interesting that.

At the Oriental there were almost no Americans, a fair amount of French, a large and possibly royal British family, and a delightful Swedish gay couple. The rest of the clients were exclusively from Asia, mostly Japan.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:39 am

Contrast that with the IC Bangkok (and IC KL) where it is high season due to the huge number of visitors from the Gulf region who love Intercontinental.
The IC offers in-room "massages" so that may have something to do with it. Very glad the MO strongly discourages that.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:39 am

I hope it has changed. But I should also say that this is the low season and the Oriental was only half full. Contrast that with the IC Bangkok (and IC KL) where it is high season due to the huge number of visitors from the Gulf region who love Intercontinental. Both those hotels are packed full. It's interesting that.

At the Oriental there were almost no Americans, a fair amount of French, a large and possibly royal British family, and a delightful Swedish gay couple. The rest of the clients were exclusively from Asia, mostly Japan.
Interesting, thank you for explaining. In fairness, I was at the MO in a weekend in which it was booked-out solid, had corporate events and staff was struggling to cope. Still, at their prices (relative to BKK), they should sort it out regardless of occupation levels.

Originally Posted by erik123
The IC offers in-room "massages" so that may have something to do with it. Very glad the MO strongly discourages that.
Can you expand? I understand what you are alluding to, but don't most luxury hotels in BKK offer in-room massages?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

0bsidian - chinese new year (weekend of feb 8) ?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
0bsidian - chinese new year (weekend of feb 8) ?
The week thereafter, actually.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the following was not especially bad, in 2008?
Kage, it really changed after I wrote this. Since Amanda took over as GM, the hotel feels much more balanced. I have watched it get better and better each time I go. No tour buses, flip-flops or arrogant attitudes, just a very well run hotel, beautifully enhanced.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Kage, it really changed after I wrote this. Since Amanda took over as GM, the hotel feels much more balanced. I have watched it get better and better each time I go. No tour buses, flip-flops or arrogant attitudes, just a very well run hotel, beautifully enhanced.
Just heard she opened the new Spa Studio, a first for MO. Brilliant. I know she has a thing for QMS and their collagen, but if she'd only feature a chemical-free option there as well, I'd be over the moon.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

odd considering kurt was there through 2008 until may 31 2009
perhaps during https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E...litical_crisis

just a year ago > http://www.thenational.ae/business/t...tay-in-bangkok >
August 2, 2015...When I was there the hotel was hosting 100 top sellers, plus spouses, from a Chinese outfit that makes hinges and knobs
~100+ rooms? out of 368 rooms total. wait, garden/author were closed..
wish hotels didn't do that kind of thing (more hotels should require buyouts)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 15, 2016 at 10:36 am
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by scented
Just heard she opened the new Spa Studio, a first for MO. Brilliant. I know she has a thing for QMS and their collagen, but if she'd only feature a chemical-free option there as well, I'd be over the moon.
I did try! They promised The Organic Pharmacy as a chemical-free option, but I'm still waiting.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by scented
Yes I forgot to mention there is a new spa opened up in the garden wing. I think it is serving two purposes. First, the main spa across the river will shut down for renovations soon. I think next month, but that was just something I heard in passing and not verified. But they may keep the garden wing spa permanently even when they re-open the main spa. And yes the new spa has this science that begins with a Q but that's as far as I got. Sorry I don't spend a lot of time thinking about spas.

And I think there is also a a Spa Suite you can book in the garden wing. Or so I read in the brochure.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:09 am

Yes I forgot to mention there is a new spa opened up in the garden wing. I think it is serving two purposes. First, the main spa across the river will shut down for renovations soon. I think next month, but that was just something I heard in passing and not verified. But they may keep the garden wing spa permanently even when they re-open the main spa. And yes the new spa has this science that begins with a Q but that's as far as I got. Sorry I don't spend a lot of time thinking about spas.

And I think there is also a a Spa Suite you can book in the garden wing. Or so I read in the brochure.
They built the new Spa because some people did not want to trek across the river if they just wanted a manicure or a facial. The idea of this new spa is to limit treatments to 'beauty', whilst the original spa will concentrate more on traditional massages and those treatments that require water, like scrubs etc.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
They built the new Spa because some people did not want to trek across the river if they just wanted a manicure or a facial. The idea of this new spa is to limit treatments to 'beauty', whilst the original spa will concentrate more on traditional massages and those treatments that require water, like scrubs etc.
Interesting new concept, this of course also means that there will be fewer traffic in their original spa across the river = more relaxation. Good call IMHO.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:38 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeAman 10+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by uggboy
Interesting new concept, this of course also means that there will be fewer traffic in their original spa across the river = more relaxation. Good call IMHO.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Yes .
Getting manicures , pedicures at the salon in the gallery past the driveway just isn't relaxing !
Even being near the " Lotus A ' d V " shop

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.