Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aa4ever
Headed to Bangkok next month for the first time in years. Last time I was at the MO (and loved it) but this time it's booked out.

Looking at the Pen, but also the St Regis. Roughly the same price and I'm SPG platinum. I assume the winner between the two is still the Pen? Siam is more expensive than I want to spend.
I'd take Pen because we've always been treated well there. I'm one of those in the minority about the Siam and would never stay there. Just dislike so many things there.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
If you do happen to go to the StR, I'd love to hear details. My colleagues who have been in the last year loved it about as much as the Pen, surprisingly, despite what is more frequently shared here on FT. I doubt you can go wrong with either choice between the Pen and StR, to be honest, so go with your gut if the prics are the same. But as SPG Plat, you'd qualify for easy upgrades at the StR, maybe even a suite upgrade, making it perhaps the much better value.

Do keep us posted, regardless! There hasn't been a proper review of either hotel recently, so perhaps you can share one.
Good point re: upgrade. I'm actually status matched to SPG platinum (via Ritz platinum) so not sure if I'd get a suite upgrade or just a "best in category" room, but will keep in mind. I do like being on the river in Bangkok though so that may ultimately sway me. Will definitely report back on whichever I choose!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point re: upgrade. I'm actually status matched to SPG platinum (via Ritz platinum) so not sure if I'd get a suite upgrade or just a "best in category" room, but will keep in mind. I do like being on the river in Bangkok though so that may ultimately sway me. Will definitely report back on whichever I choose!
Depends how many Platinums are in-house with you.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:51 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Platinum is Platinum...period. Whether from Marriott or RC or SPG, that's how it's supposed to work. If there is a standard suite (assume lowest suite catogory to be safe) available at check-in for the duration of your stay, you should be upgraded. If not, then you should be upgraded to the highest room catoegry available.

If you prefer being on the river, then the Pen should be your choice, of course.

I always laugh about river views in Bangkok. No one worries about Thames views in London or Siene views in Paris. It's a hotel artifact to make you pay more IMO.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by DSI
My experience was the exact opposite. I've stayed twice at the StR and thought it was great (this was when I was a plat member) and did not care for the food there.

If I'm lucky enough to go to BKK again, the only hotel restaurant I plan on eating at will be Nahm the COMO!
Nahm is my favorite in BKK.

StR downgraded me (sic), I waited 30 minutes to be able to check-in and was served a food in IRD that I am allergic to (although I asked beforehand). Only saving grace was JoJo's as usual.

I know they are much better with Platinum guests.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:29 am

I would just book a suite at the Pen, but either way one should go with whatever works.

I can't understand comparison to the Thames river... MO, Pen, and The Siam are urban resorts and being on the river adds an aesthetic value and sense of relaxation that you just do not have at a more centrally located hotel. You may not value it, but it is an important difference for many. Central location vs. seclusion and relaxation by the river. And, you cannot compare the swimming pool and spa experiences. The riverside hotels are much nicer in that regard.

And the river is not something to make one "pay more". Rates are quite comparable at The Peninsula. Mandain Otiental also has unrivaled F&B and is an historically significant landmark hotel, so its rates are not attributed only to its location.

Venice would be a more relevant comprison, and I know you enjoyed the Gritti and Aman there.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented

StR downgraded me (sic), I waited 30 minutes to be able to check-in and was served a food in IRD that I am allergic to (although I asked beforehand). Only saving grace was JoJo's as usual.

scented, you're just as valuable as a guest too!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
scented, you're just as valuable as a guest too!
Merci!!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I would just book a suite at the Pen, but either way one should go with whatever works.

I can't understand comparison to the Thames river... MO, Pen, and The Siam are urban resorts and being on the river adds an aesthetic value and sense of relaxation that you just do not have at a more centrally located hotel. You may not value it, but it is an important difference for many. Central location vs. seclusion and relaxation by the river. And, you cannot compare the swimming pool and spa experiences. The riverside hotels are much nicer in that regard.

And the river is not something to make one "pay more". Rates are quite comparable at The Peninsula. Mandain Otiental also has unrivaled F&B and is an historically significant landmark hotel, so its rates are not attributed only to its location.
Not to mention being a cut above for luxury and service. It's hard to quantify but no request is too small with the Oriental. Their "flexibility" is incredible.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:18 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by scented

Bummer, I'd feel the same if that happened to me. If it's any consolation, we just stayed at a place that's like 20x the price of all these BKK places and the service didn't match any place over $100 in Bangkok. Ani Anguilla is to be avoided by anyone on this board with a 10 foot pole.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:59 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Headed to Bangkok next month for the first time in years. Last time I was at the MO (and loved it) but this time it's booked out.

Looking at the Pen, but also the St Regis. Roughly the same price and I'm SPG platinum. I assume the winner between the two is still the Pen? Siam is more expensive than I want to spend.
Where'd you finally stay? Would love to hear what you thought.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
The 2 Luxury Collection Bangkok properties

The Athenee is now priced quite a bit higher than the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, but the last one is a truly established Luxury Collection hotel, while the 2nd one is only a work in progress for that brand.

The pricing might be due to some requirement due to the recent brand switch or a trial balloon requested by the ownership or the corporate management, but I am wondering how sustainable that pricing direction is.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by UASPG
The Athenee is now priced quite a bit higher than the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, but the last one is a truly established Luxury Collection hotel, while the 2nd one is only a work in progress for that brand.

The pricing might be due to some requirement due to the recent brand switch or a trial balloon requested by the ownership or the corporate management, but I am wondering how sustainable that pricing direction is.
The Athénée is well regarded for F&B and has a great location. Definitely preferable to the Sheraton Grande in my opinion, so I would say it’s worth paying a higher rate. St. Regis is also a good option if you want a Starwood property.

My favorite, by a mile, is Anantara Siam Bangkok. The way they treat me as a regular, nothing else even compares.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

My favorite, by a mile, is Anantara Siam Bangkok. The way they treat me as a regular, nothing else even compares.
The word going around in Bangkok, in the hospitality industry, was that the hotel suffered a major blow when most of the best staff left when the owner (that lives at the St Regis) dropped the Four Seasons brand.

Things might have improved afterwards, but the treatment of regular guests is not necessarily an indication of the general level of service of a hotel.
Being a long time frequent guest in quite a few properties, I am sometimes surprised of what I hear or read about experiences of other guests in those places.
uggboy likes this.

Last edited by UASPG; Oct 20, 2017 at 11:44 am
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:36 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by UASPG
I am sometimes surprised of what I hear or read about experiences of other guests in those places.
Ditto +1

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.