Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:26 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
In regards to Pen and MO, I think they are the two best hotels in BKK. (Haven't stayed at the Siam yet) The Pen has multiple pools right on the river, with tradition Thai salas (cabanas) which are gorgeous. Service at the Pen is amazing. The rooms aren't outdated as much as they have lost their "shine". When i first went in the early 2000's as a really young kid, I thought tvs in the mirrors of the bathrooms were revolutionary. Now the 15 inch tvs are.... Do agree that the bathrooms could be updated. They aren't old or dirty looking at all. Just the color scheme of the marble screams 1990's, and the tubs are built in instead of free standing like you will find at the St Regis or Park Hyatt.

The M.O. is on the better side of the river if driving, you get to skip the bridge which can have heavy traffic. But if taking the skytrain, both hotels offer boat service which kind of equalizes the locations. M.O. has far superior afternoon tea, its an experience in itself. Most annoying thing about the MO is the dress code. No shorts or streetwear, which excludes all stylish young people haha. Don't understand why ill fitting tan khakis are preferred over my cute ripped saint laurent denim but okay?? Was there for dinner and drinks celebrating the end of ABAC testing (college admissions test) and we were dressed in our high school uniform of shorts and short sleeve shirt and sneakers. Got scolded by a staff member :/

Pen is about half the price of the MO. But imo the service is better. Despite having a home in Bang Saen and a condo in BKK, my family always seems to find ourselves staying at the Pen when we can't be bothered to open up the condo in the city.

Last edited by Quinlanty; Apr 12, 2017 at 5:33 am
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:04 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:49 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
[QUOTE=QPRfan;28166795]Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, when I stayed the Sukhothai it most definitely felt like a 5 star hotel in 2011.

Agreed. I am also a bit tough on what I consider 5 star service. Have only stayed twice, but stand by my original view that while the Sukhothai is nice enough and cheap, it isn't a 5 star hotel. Would I stay again? Sure, especially if I was going out to Silom or needed to be in the area.

Things that make the Sukhothai a 4.5 instead of 5 star hotel:
The pool is a bit small and underwhelming imo.
The layout of the hotel seems a bit awkward. We had a FAR walk from our room to the elevators and to the lobby.
Hotel staff was painting the inside of the hallways and provided no fans to blow the smell outside, so our room smelled like paint.
Ordered Pizza company to the room and hotel was unwilling to deliver it from the lobby to my room or send the delivery man up. Had to walk down late at night
As opposed to the Pen (and even the Anantara Riverside), where even housekeeping staff greeted us by name or said hello every single time, no acknowledgement at Sukhothai.
Ordered a hotel car, either an E class or S class merc. to take me shopping at Erawan, driver spoke on the telephone for about 10 min. (personal call)
Hotel security at entrance doesn't salute as you drive by, heck even the security at the entrance to our muban do that

Maybe I am too picky or too Thai, but these were my observations

Last edited by Quinlanty; Apr 13, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:03 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by QPRfan
I recently stayed at the Siam, and have to say I don't think that I would return.

The room was stunning. It was well thought out, had everything I could need and was a delight to spend time in. When the car pulled up, the manager was there to welcome us, and the service levels were (in the main) good.

However the first thing I did after dropping off my bag was to head to the library to investigate. This was disappointing. Whilst it looks attractive from a distance the selection of books is odd (authors seemed to be chosen by their rank in society rather than their ability to write, so Prince William of Sweden, is present along with various Lady's and Lords, but not individuals who are known as authors). On one side of the library is the meeting room, on the other is a room that leads to the cinema/screening room and this contains a multitude of chairs (you can't sit in the library if you want to read) as well as games, and some more normal books. There are no doors separating this from the big screen in the cinema room, so I am not sure how well this room works to read in (I chose to read in my room).

My next issue was with the gym. For 99% of people this would be a fantastic gym. Unfortunately for someone who just wants to run, it doesn't work. The temperature is warm (the gym is cooled but not to the same extent as the rooms) so it is a struggle to get 15 minutes of running in before you need to stop and cool down. I assume that the temperature was decided so that people enjoying muay thai (there is a ring) have less chance of muscle strains, but it meant that the gym didn't work as I hoped it would.

Finally the quality of food wasn't that high. We found things to eat at breakfast, and from both Deco (their Western options) and Chon (their local options) but none of the meals stood out.

For me the choice of books in their library (and in the suite we were in, the books were a very odd selection mainly dealing with opera's there were no novels) and the impossibility to run well, means that it won't be a hotel we would return to. The room was excellent, and for most gym users, the gym would be excellent, so I can understand why it is rated so highly by other people. When I next return to Bangkok I think I will head back to the Peninsula. (For those interested in the air con ability in the room, our room was at 21 degrees, so if you need a cool room in order to sleep then this should be a hotel that you would consider).
This is interesting and a reminder that not every hotel works for everyone. While I love The Siam, I can see why you had your problems with it.

MO offers a gym that fits your needs better, with the temperature adjusted accordingly.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
I recently stayed at the Siam, and have to say I don't think that I would return.
I found the gym at the Siam to be pathetic; more an excuse than a proper workout facility. The rooms were very nice although I never did figure out the funky door latch. I prefer the view to the river to be higher up. The food was much better than the Pen. I left the Siam with a 'meh' opinion. It is good enough to return, but I'll try MO next time.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I found the gym at the Siam to be pathetic; more an excuse than a proper workout facility. The rooms were very nice although I never did figure out the funky door latch. I prefer the view to the river to be higher up. The food was much better than the Pen. I left the Siam with a 'meh' opinion. It is good enough to return, but I'll try MO next time.
Ironically, the princess works out there often (also has to do with proximity to the royal palace).

We saw her during our last stay at the hotel (hotel even asked us to move our car in order to let her staff occupy the entire parking lot), the hotel advised she is a regular.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sounds like outsourcing is used by PH (and others?) to be de facto franchising (GM has zero control..) while claiming they do not franchise, and keeping rates high if not owner fees too

do any bangkok luxury hotels not have long minimum lease on residences?

uggboy, im not going to comment on recent discussion, but in past 5-11 years bangkok has many hotels discussed here in this forum
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

uggboy, im not going to comment on recent discussion, but in past 5-11 years bangkok has many hotels discussed here in this forum
Thanks Kagehitokiri, variety remains the "spice of life" and this includes luxury hotels in Bangkok, be they historic, grand, modern or boutiques.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old May 2, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: No program whatsoever
Very short glimpse of PH BKK room and pool, ahead of opening on May 12:

Last edited by 0bsidian; May 2, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Old May 2, 2017, 7:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, when I stayed the Sukhothai it most definitely felt like a 5 star hotel in 2011.
Back then It used to be winning different awards and for many years was in the T&L top 500. There was no aspect that I would have considered less than 5 stars (though this may have changed since then).
We stayed in a wonderful suite at the Sukhothai in May 2009 and loved it--even after 2.5 weeks in Indonesia at 4 of the 5 Aman properties! It was absolutely less pricey than the Oriental and Pen, yet had fantastic service and excellent food/beverage. The air con worked wonders, too. There was nothing that made the hotel anything but 5 stars. It was my first visit to Bangkok, too. I really enjoyed it.

Not liking certain elements of a hotel (odd layout, small pool, small gym, air con quality, even no spa for me etc) doesn't preclude a hotel from being 5 star IMO. That just means a hotel isn't to one's specific liking...since not everyone places emphasis on the same elements. Having service issues doesn't preclude a hotel from being 5 star either...unless those issues are consistent and constant. Service issues happen to even the best 5 star hotels, after all.

I think some herein may be a bit too brand/label conscious when trying to preclude certain properties from the 5 star category.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
+2 , bhrubin & QPRfan

We have also enjoyed stays at The Sukothai in recent years , when it was more expedient to be at than MOBKK .
Not because it was one of AZ ' s earlier projects too
The rooms are not as large as the MOBKK ones I have been in or seen . Different if in a suite .
We managed to adjust the room temperatures , cool enough for sweltering Bangkok

Enjoyed the spa but no time to swim each time , it looked fine & quiet ( empty )

Last edited by FlyerEC; May 4, 2017 at 4:48 pm Reason: iPad typo , add information
Old May 4, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We stayed in a wonderful suite at the Sukhothai in May 2009

I think some herein may be a bit too brand/label conscious when trying to preclude certain properties from the 5 star category.
Have you been back since 2009? My understanding from my couple of recent stays there and other classmates is that its not quite as polished as when it first opened.

I don't think it has anything to do with being "brand/label conscious", but more to do with opinion. What works for you might not work for me, and vice versa. Thats the beauty of FT, you have a bunch of opinions on offer, and can decide if you want to stay/fly/etc.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:23 pm

Peninsula v. Siam

Hi All,

My wife and I will be making our first trip to Thailand in September. We plan to stay in Bangkok for 4 days/3 nights at the beginning of our trip and would like to stay by the river. We are leaning towards the Siam due to the great reviews, style, and the boutique feel. However, we are wondering if it is too "remote" up the river for a first trip to Bangkok (though it seems to be relatively close to some of the sights, such as the Grand Palace and Wat Pho). From what we have gathered/read (here and in other places), the Peninsula has a pretty good location while also being somewhat removed from the "craziness" that is Bangkok.

We are interested in seeing the sights and eating good food, while also relaxing a bit (and the Siam seems like a lovely place to spend a day getting over jet lag from the US) and don't care too much about shopping or going out.

FWIW, I can book either through Amex FHR (and receive comparable perks) and the Siam is only a couple hundred more dollars (total) than a comparable suite at the Peninsula.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:46 am

Solely speaking for myself but staying at The Siam is like traveling back in time to a different Bangkok. It's surrounded by Royal palaces and the Dusit area is very quiet and charming. I love it. You can always take the boat to visit modern day Bangkok with all its buzz, shopping and commerce, but let's face it: you need to plan for 30 minutes on the boat or 45 minutes to 1.5 hours in the car, knowing Bangkok's traffic. If you enjoy being spontaneous or heading to a great restaurant for dinner or a bar without planning, you may feel limited. It comes down to your priorities. MO and Pen are on the river as well and just minutes away from Ratchadamri, but it's different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.