Reload this Page >

Very concerned about drones in Maldives

Very concerned about drones in Maldives

Old May 20, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Turns out it was a guest scouting for a music video.
Definitively nothing to look forward to. But who knows.... Years ago you would have get angry views if you use a camera in a high-end restaurant. Today nearly everyone does..... Cant imagin and dont hope will be the same with drones.If yes, I will only travel with shotgun
Old May 21, 2017, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Definitively nothing to look forward to. But who knows.... Years ago you would have get angry views if you use a camera in a high-end restaurant. Today nearly everyone does..... Cant imagin and dont hope will be the same with drones.If yes, I will only travel with shotgun
Birds of prey can take them out much easier!
Old May 21, 2017, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Aventine
Birds of prey can take them out much easier!
True! Pigeon and drones protection
Old May 28, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
I had exactly this issue at FS Kuda Huraa with some kids flying a drone around the beach (and next to our villa) for hours. The noise was incredibly annoying. The way I see it, it's only a matter of time until it becomes customary for higher end hotels to adopt no-drone policies.
This is an issue and I have had a similar experience at the same property (in my case, next door neighbours who launched the drone in the early mornings for the sunrise).

If I was a FS type property, I would say no drones right up front. It is highly annoying.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

It's quite strange that not all top resorts have a no drone policy yet. COMO Maalifushi has a strict policy in place, which sounds good. I just hope they make sure it's being followed.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hannisen
COMO Maalifushi has a strict policy
gili owner owns como (presume cocoa banned too), FS, laamu
hope FS(etc) corporate doesnt resist bans, especially in maldives

Originally Posted by surftb15
Gili and CBR have both adopted no drone policy,
Jumeirah has implemented a no drone policy.
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Velaa is another resort that has banned drones

My bigger concern with Maldives...passing seaplanes.
re bans in ski areas >
telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/Which-ski-resorts-have-banned-drones/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 29, 2017 at 9:32 am
Old May 28, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...-Maldives.html

Gili does not allow them. I asked Brad the resort manager what the drone policy was and he said they don't allow them for 3 reasons, one of them i don't wanna get into discussion since it might scare ppl. I hadn't thought of that myself...should they get taken away at customs it wld correlate with what they told me at Gili why.
Drones in the Maldives - privacy. There seems to be a big increase in videos that contain drone footage.
There was a fairly active thread about this quite recently and concerns were expressed
We later found out they were from the hotel!
we will be very careful to minimise drone footage. However we do not flight them over bathrooms and do on a very rare basis. This is required at time to highlight snorkelling channels, so not to stand on coral and show water currents and associated risks. In fact we were shooting this for two key videos. 1. Was specifically toward Chinese tourist and water safety which is targeted for all Maldives Chinese visitors as we have a very low number of Chinese guests.

Sunny regards, J
K urumba Maldives
We saw a near accident caused by a lunatic guest flying one. He was using it more like one of those model aeroplanes that enthusiasts normally fly over open fields. It came so close to the guy driving the buggy he was distracted and drove over a rock almost overturning.
I was chilling out on my deck and opened my eyes to it hovering over me.
Drones are gradually being banned in the Maldives, island by island
cnn.com/2015/05/31/entertainment/enrique-iglesias-drone-feat/
Spanish pop star Enrique Iglesias is seeking treatment after a drone cut his hand
thenational.ae/uae/sale-of-recreational-drones-banned-in-abu-dhabi
In January, air traffic was suspended at Dubai International Airport after reports that drones were being flown dangerously close to planes...Laws to regulate the weight and use of drones are to be announced soon, the state news agency Wam reported. People may still be allowed to use drones if they have obtained government approval.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 28, 2017 at 1:58 pm
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:36 pm

I am in nam hai and the next villa kept putting a drone up yesterday. Very annoying and noisy
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I am in nam hai and the next villa kept putting a drone up yesterday. Very annoying and noisy
curious what management says
nam hai now same owner as >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Originally Posted by hannisen
COMO Maalifushi has a strict policy
gili owner owns como (presume cocoa banned too), FS, laamu
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:38 am
Original Poster

I actually have a drone now. and used it at Amanoi. Before i get gasps (considering I started this thread), I never used the drone in the villa and only flew it over public spaces in the early morning (when empty) and only with the GMs permission.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:31 pm

I actually have a drone now. and used it at Amanoi. Before i get gasps (considering I started this thread), I never used the drone in the villa and only flew it over public spaces in the early morning (when empty) and only with the GMs permission.
Oh the irony!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Napapijri
Oh the irony!
Indeed!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.