the luxury hotels of Dubai

the luxury hotels of Dubai

Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks for the update.

Originally Posted by scented
This seems to be the case for Armani as well, which is horrifying to visit. Aside from Ristorante and Hashi, the hotel is taken over by tour groups and huge MICE events (not of the high end sort).
In my eyes this was still the case in 2013. Terrible hotel which I will never visit again.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:06 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I loved this hotel and thought the restaurant was totally mediocre. They had fantastic precommunication and I asked for an amenity for our son and they gave him a nice stuffed "burj".

We went during the summer so it wasn't full so perhaps that had something to do with it?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by DSI
I loved this hotel and thought the restaurant was totally mediocre. They had fantastic precommunication and I asked for an amenity for our son and they gave him a nice stuffed "burj".

We went during the summer so it wasn't full so perhaps that had something to do with it?
Their Ops team is not bad, being in the country's most iconic building comes with responsibilities that were, in the past, in favor of the guest. That seems to be gone now. If the buses were no indication, the extra table for tour guides in the restaurant definitely was. Never seen the staff so lost before. I cannot blame them -- it is a zoo these days.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Quick update on Dubai, for those interested:

Park Hyatt Dubai

The Park Hyatt used to be a favorite of mine for many years. Few hotels epitomize 1001 nights as beautifully as this oasis by the creek. I love the suites, all spacious and many afford beautiful views of the surrounding Yacht Club and even Burj Khalifa in a distance. I grew equally fond of the beautiful pool in its garden setting between palm trees and authentic cuisine at the hotel's own Thai Kitchen (must be the best Thai outside the kingdom). While I still rave about The Thai Kitchen, the hotel operations leave a lot do be desired. I had high hopes for the new GM -- service picked up initially and the team seemed motivated. Little touches were introduced, such as more activities and themed nights at the restaurants. Now, a year later, the hotel is a shadow of its former self: accountants rule and cost cutting effects every aspect of the experience. The spirit of generosity is long gone and I do question the ability of management to deliver a rewarding experience. How is it possible that the hotel's pool and entire spa is made accessible to huge groups of Emirates staff (!) on a constant basis? This particular group indulges in excessive drinking in the pool and sun beds are almost impossible to come by (the few remaining are 'reserved' by package tourists). The hotel is deteriorating and the occasional positive input does not change this. The additional revenue from local expats and questionable deals such as the Emirates pool access cards will cut business of leisure travelers in the long run. Sadly, the Park Hyatt no longer seems an option, save for short one night stays due to its proximity to the airport.

Four Seasons Resort Dubai at Jumeirah Beach

The only Dubai resort to be featured in the current Gallivanter's Guide issue of Beach Resorts, this grande dame continues to impress... while we miss some faces there (Simon Casson promoted to President, Richard Raab promoted to GM at FS Bahrain and Mariana Rietmann switched to FS Chicago), I am glad that quality continues under new leadership. Phew! These days, seeing what's happening in Dubai, I wouldn't take any chances and FS rewards its guest with highly personalized service and invariably the best hard product. The spa was treated to some precious time of The Spa Whisperer, Nigel Franklyn, and it does show. For me, this is truly the best Dubai has to offer.

Armani Dubai

What is going on at the Emaar owned and managed flagship of Armani? Package tourists en masse and lines for the previously excellent buffet restaurant, Mediterraneo? Clearly, this is an indication of Dubai's current problem: the market is drifting in two directions, and only extremes seem to exist. While few hotels, such as the two Four Seasons, seem to be able to achieve top rates - others struggle to fill their rooms and choose to go downmarket. This seems to be the case for Armani as well, which is horrifying to visit. Aside from Ristorante and Hashi, the hotel is taken over by tour groups and huge MICE events (not of the high end sort).

While many used Dubai and its warm climate to spend a few days relaxing, minimizing jet lag and do some shopping, before heading onwards to Asia -- nowadays it is hard to get into the few remaining quality options (such as FS), and rates are higher than ever before. In high season and during peak demand, I have seen rates that are comparable to the Maldives. Other 5* options are reducing quality to control their costs that it is hard to tolerate the result. I am not sure if this is the right direction. I have heard whispers that this year, the government of Dubai is asking 10 times the fee for hotels to obtain their alcohol license. Add this to the introduction of VAT in the UAE and your Dubai experience will be much more expensive in the years to come. This is a huge gamble for Dubai and we shall see if it works out. I admire what has been accomplished there, but comparing the value (!) to other destinations makes me wonder.
Thanks for the update, scented, very interesting indeed.
It's sad to hear that the PH apparently isn't what it used to be anymore, as I always loved this hotel. I agree with your take on the FS, if only the views were better this would be my no. 1 choice in Dubai (I prefer the O&O The Palm because of the beach and views). I'll be there again in 10 days, this time to try the new StR.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:13 am

I completely agree with you. Price value is really going downhill.

O and o the palm used to be my favorite but even there you get just too much construction on opposite beaches, traffic is worse than ever (if you want to levae the hotel for dinner etc - long drives) and the prices are nuts for what you get.

And i still hate the fact that you cant have anything to eat at the pool or beach.

Didnt like the four seasons that much either...
Wondering if al naseem is worth visiting and looking forward to the bulgari... might be nice.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Thanks for the update, scented, very interesting indeed.
It's sad to hear that the PH apparently isn't what it used to be anymore, as I always loved this hotel. I agree with your take on the FS, if only the views were better this would be my no. 1 choice in Dubai (I prefer the O&O The Palm because of the beach and views). I'll be there again in 10 days, this time to try the new StR.
Oh, I would really love for you to write a few lines about the new StR, if you can! Wonder if it improved since bhrubin's visit a while ago. I used to love PH too and a walk through the gardens makes one very forgiving -- there is something magical about it, especially so at night. Sadly, it doesn't offset the new annoyances.

Originally Posted by Michael82

O and o the palm used to be my favorite but even there you get just too much construction on opposite beaches, traffic is worse than ever (if you want to levae the hotel for dinner etc - long drives) and the prices are nuts for what you get.

And i still hate the fact that you cant have anything to eat at the pool or beach.

Wondering if al naseem is worth visiting and looking forward to the bulgari... might be nice.
O&O The Palm is a lovely resort. I presume the endless construction is something almost every Dubai property has to deal with, save for a few exceptions.

We shall see how Bulgari will be. Wasl Hospitality, the government-backed owner of all Hyatt in Dubai, aims to build a Mandarin Oriental in proximity to FS in Jumeirah -- although I do not know when or if this project is proceeding.

I really like Dubai, in doses at least, and it works well for a couple days, but somehow I have troubles justifying rates that could get me a suite or villa in a very exotic (and much more authentic) destination somewhere else. The challenge will be to convince guests that they are more than a glitzy stopover location and ME business hub. The moment of truth will be after the Expo 2020, for which they are gearing up now.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Oh, I would really love for you to write a few lines about the new StR, if you can! Wonder if it improved since bhrubin's visit a while ago. I used to love PH too and a walk through the gardens makes one very forgiving -- there is something magical about it, especially so at night. Sadly, it doesn't offset the new annoyances.
I'll definitely write a short report about the StR, scented...
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:48 am

Al Naseem

Originally Posted by Michael82

Having stayed at the FS for my last 3 trips, I'm also looking for a change. I don't really want to be on the Palm as its too far away from where I want to be, so am also considering Al Naseem....has anyone been yet? Am going with kids and they love Madinat so could be a winner
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
I visit Dubai at least 2 times a year. I would much prefer The Palace Downtown to Armani Hotel if I am not on a beach holiday. The friday buffet at the Palace is also great. The only good thing about the Armani Hotel is the Amal restaurant which offers great Indian. Hashi is ok but Dubai has much better sushi options.

FS Jumeirah is still my number one choice if you are not looking for a disneyland type resort for kids. For adults you get great rooms, beach and you are very close to everything else.

I am not sure but I think I saw Bulgari location while on a photography mission to some bridge, if that is the location I would never stay there. I might be wrong though.

I stayed in Dar al Masyaf with my family the last time, and they refurbished their villas. The food and crowds can be a real problem, but my kid always seems happy there.

I think over the years I stayed in at least 10 Dubai hotels and ate at probably 20 more and unless something new opens my choices now are: FS with wife, The Palace on business and Dar al Masyaf with kids.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:40 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
I really like the two FS options. While I've not been to the St. Regis myself, I have sent a few clients there, another one going in a few days. All have had good feedback.

I did like PH as well as it felt like such a hidden hideaway and great value...so it's sad to hear of its decline.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Apr 25, 2017 at 5:01 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by tcmb99
The only good thing about the Armani Hotel is the Amal restaurant which offers great Indian.
Amal is fantastic! We ate there when we were last in Dubai and the food was excellent.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:49 am

Also what might be nice is the new oberoi al zorah which is in ajman. Not really much further from dubai than the one and only palm.
Looks promising....

In terms of dinner - la petite maison is still my favorite in dubai.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:30 am

Quick update on Dubai, for those interested:

Park Hyatt Dubai

The Park Hyatt used to be a favorite of mine for many years. Few hotels epitomize 1001 nights as beautifully as this oasis by the creek. I love the suites, all spacious and many afford beautiful views of the surrounding Yacht Club and even Burj Khalifa in a distance. I grew equally fond of the beautiful pool in its garden setting between palm trees and authentic cuisine at the hotel's own Thai Kitchen (must be the best Thai outside the kingdom). While I still rave about The Thai Kitchen, the hotel operations leave a lot do be desired. I had high hopes for the new GM -- service picked up initially and the team seemed motivated. Little touches were introduced, such as more activities and themed nights at the restaurants. Now, a year later, the hotel is a shadow of its former self: accountants rule and cost cutting effects every aspect of the experience. The spirit of generosity is long gone and I do question the ability of management to deliver a rewarding experience. How is it possible that the hotel's pool and entire spa is made accessible to huge groups of Emirates staff (!) on a constant basis? This particular group indulges in excessive drinking in the pool and sun beds are almost impossible to come by (the few remaining are 'reserved' by package tourists). The hotel is deteriorating and the occasional positive input does not change this. The additional revenue from local expats and questionable deals such as the Emirates pool access cards will cut business of leisure travelers in the long run. Sadly, the Park Hyatt no longer seems an option, save for short one night stays due to its proximity to the airport.

Four Seasons Resort Dubai at Jumeirah Beach

The only Dubai resort to be featured in the current Gallivanter's Guide issue of Beach Resorts, this grande dame continues to impress... while we miss some faces there (Simon Casson promoted to President, Richard Raab promoted to GM at FS Bahrain and Mariana Rietmann switched to FS Chicago), I am glad that quality continues under new leadership. Phew! These days, seeing what's happening in Dubai, I wouldn't take any chances and FS rewards its guest with highly personalized service and invariably the best hard product. The spa was treated to some precious time of The Spa Whisperer, Nigel Franklyn, and it does show. For me, this is truly the best Dubai has to offer.

Armani Dubai

What is going on at the Emaar owned and managed flagship of Armani? Package tourists en masse and lines for the previously excellent buffet restaurant, Mediterraneo? Clearly, this is an indication of Dubai's current problem: the market is drifting in two directions, and only extremes seem to exist. While few hotels, such as the two Four Seasons, seem to be able to achieve top rates - others struggle to fill their rooms and choose to go downmarket. This seems to be the case for Armani as well, which is horrifying to visit. Aside from Ristorante and Hashi, the hotel is taken over by tour groups and huge MICE events (not of the high end sort).

While many used Dubai and its warm climate to spend a few days relaxing, minimizing jet lag and do some shopping, before heading onwards to Asia -- nowadays it is hard to get into the few remaining quality options (such as FS), and rates are higher than ever before. In high season and during peak demand, I have seen rates that are comparable to the Maldives. Other 5* options are reducing quality to control their costs that it is hard to tolerate the result. I am not sure if this is the right direction. I have heard whispers that this year, the government of Dubai is asking 10 times the fee for hotels to obtain their alcohol license. Add this to the introduction of VAT in the UAE and your Dubai experience will be much more expensive in the years to come. This is a huge gamble for Dubai and we shall see if it works out. I admire what has been accomplished there, but comparing the value (!) to other destinations makes me wonder.
Totally agree. They made a good choice with Leonardo Baiocchi as GM of FS Dubai at Jumeirah.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:28 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Call me crazy but I actually enjoyed al qasr. In my four stats in the emirates, I've greatly enjoyed the Armani (but I didn't see tour groups) and qasr al Sarab, but the st Regis saayidat, even with a massive upgrade, was just boring and forgettable.

At none of these places is there great service, i.e. Iniala, just regular good service: aman, Westin, four seasons stuff, which is just fine for my stays there, which have always been brief.

Caveat: I've never stayed in the big aman villas, which I understand to be where the service is of a high standard.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:36 am

First choice would always be The Grosvenor, first class service, great room and good food.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.