Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt or Excelsior Gallia Milan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt or Excelsior Gallia Milan?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:24 pm

The Gallia is so stunning it's well worth a visit, especially if you can upgrade to a suite, and also if you have a little bit of extra time to spend in some of the gorgeous public areas.

We were there in March when the daytime temps were in the 50's. We both like cold hotel rooms, and even though AC was available it was not enough to create the desired level of cool in our room. I think we were able to bring the room temp down to 68, we would have preferred several degrees cooler. We turned off the heat to the towel rack in the bathroom because it was making the bathroom very hot. The windows do open though and even though we overlooked the train station plaza it was very quiet at night.

The location was not an issue for us. We arrived by train so it was great to just walk across the street to reach the hotel. We passed through and in front of the train station several times per day and night and never had any problems, nobody bothered us or approached us. It was only slightly inconvenient to use cabs and train to get to other parts of the city. We would have had use cabs and train if we'd stayed in the Park Hyatt too, though a few times less. The Gallia was so amazing it was a good trade-off, IMO.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UrbanDweller
The Gallia is so stunning it's well worth a visit, especially if you can upgrade to a suite, and also if you have a little bit of extra time to spend in some of the gorgeous public areas.

We were there in March when the daytime temps were in the 50's. We both like cold hotel rooms, and even though AC was available it was not enough to create the desired level of cool in our room. I think we were able to bring the room temp down to 68, we would have preferred several degrees cooler. We turned off the heat to the towel rack in the bathroom because it was making the bathroom very hot. The windows do open though and even though we overlooked the train station plaza it was very quiet at night.

The location was not an issue for us. We arrived by train so it was great to just walk across the street to reach the hotel. We passed through and in front of the train station several times per day and night and never had any problems, nobody bothered us or approached us. It was only slightly inconvenient to use cabs and train to get to other parts of the city. We would have had use cabs and train if we'd stayed in the Park Hyatt too, though a few times less. The Gallia was so amazing it was a good trade-off, IMO.
Thanks for that. I've been advised about the air con by a few others, too--at least I am aware, and I can open windows if necessary. I've already contact the Gallia and they assure me that they will do everything possible to make sure the room/suite can be cooled to 65-66 F for me.

I also don't worry about the little taxi time. As you said, we'd have to do that with the PH too. We stayed at the PH Istanbul over the FS properties there, and we loved it--in spite of a few extra or longer taxi rides. Cost/benefit still works to our advantage. :-)
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:37 pm

Any recent opinions on these two properties as I'm considering both for 4 nights in August with my wife, am Explorist at Hyatt and Gold at SPG. Most likely will use SPG points up in Venice and thus wouldn't have enough for Milan. Is the PH Milan an exceptional property? Which has a definitely better location? What's the breakfast pricing like at each (set and a la carte)?
Old May 1, 2017, 3:13 am

If you'll still have sufficient Hyatt points, but are using all of your SPG poonts for Gritti in Venice, I think you've answered your own question..
Both are very well regarded, but Park Hyatt certainly has the best location.

Check the thread in the Hyatt Forum, as this property is much loved by many FlyerTalkers.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; May 1, 2017 at 3:19 am
Old May 2, 2017, 2:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
For the record, as OP of this thread, it should be noted that I stayed at the Excelsior Gallia (see my review at http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...ce-issues-1633).

It also should be noted that I wasn't terrible impressed by the PH Milan. It was surprisingly dated in all of its rooms and suites, and I detested the lobby space. Service seemed wonderful, which was a problem for me at the Gallia...but I'd choose the Gallia over the PH any day. Ironically, I'm writing this as I currently am at the PH Sydney.

I'd consider the FS Milan, which was a bit dated but of very high service standard, over the PH Milan any day. They both are in the central tourist area, which makes it icky to get Uber and taxis at certain times and even ickier to get out of the area due to such major traffic congestion issue.

I'd consider the Gallia again over the FS, however, because the Galla was so amazing. The service issues are a concern--since I'm so high maintenance--but those might yet be remedied since it's only been open a shorter time. But if using Milan as an entry point to Lake Como/Piedmont, the Gallia location across the street from the Central train station plus its incredible design make it the no-brainer IMO.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SW, JB, Spirit; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
For what it is worth, I didn't find the Excelsior Hotel Gallia to be exceptional. I was staying on points in late 2015 and I chose the hotel for the added luxury and to try SPG Luxury Collection for the first time. When I redeemed so many points, I expected more than just a comfortable bed and convenient location (which it does have). Besides being given a room on the first floor overlooking parking, while I found the hotel bed quite comfortable and the room small but tastefully decorated, I didn't feel the points justified. I had problems with keys initially and had to go back down to have reprogrammed. I didn't receive any information about Luxury Collection signature cocktails or anything proactive. Room service was quite nice, but again, I expected more at that perceived level. Again, for what it is worth. This was a standard room and I was not traveling with status.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:34 pm

So my wife and I ended up staying at the Excelsior almost two weeks ago after debating between it and the PH. For a one night stay I'm quite happy with my decision. Arriving from MXP by train and departing for Varenna were both super easy to do from the central location next to the train station. When we needed to go to the main tourist area it was easy to take the free courtesy Maserati. Breakfast was excellent. The room was well appointed and spacious enough and the hotel was really attractive. One issue was that two of the windows weren't shut properly which I didn't realize until about 10pm. The street noise had been really bad when we took a nap upon arrival from our flight and just thought it as the time of day and bad windows. They couldn't be closed properly and the maintenance man came and was able to fix one but the second couldn't be fully shut which allows some slight noise in during the night which wasn't ideal. Service was ok at the hotel but not quite the level I've experienced at Park hyatt Paris or Tokyo. We did stop into the lobby of the Park Hyatt and found it to be a bit dated, so I'm assuming the rooms are also the same. The location of the Park Hyatt while super close to the major sites was also a bit too close to the chaos of downtown tourists. Also I think staying on points here at 20k was far better value than 30k Hyatt points. So all in all glad with our decision to pick the Excelsior.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by terpfan101; Aug 19, 2017 at 2:36 pm Reason: Addition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.