Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton San Juan, Puerto Rico

Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:40 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

Map| 3 Reviews | 33% Recommended

6961 Ave Gobernadores Carolina, Puerto Rico PR

Ritz Carlton San Juan (0 Photo)

I recently spent one night at this property during a transit stop through San Juan. I was very disappointed with the property, and consider it the worst in the Ritz system that I've stayed at (out of about 30 RC properties).

Below is the text of the comments that I provided to RC in their comment card.

Our recent stay at the RC-San Juan in December 2010 was the worst of any weve had at any Ritz Carlton worldwide. Beyond having a kids hostess at the check-in counter (whose job it was to distract the kids with balloons/crafts), which was a unique and effective mitigant to the long check-in queue, essentially every aspect of this hotel was a disappointment.

Beach

Ritz Carlton San Juan

Children

The kids camp was oriented exclusively to kids under 5, offering few if any activities for kids above 5. The kids camp also had our children engage in religious activities, including making Jesus-related crafts, without our consent. We are a Christian family, but involving religion in a hotel kids camp setting is inappropriate without parental consent.

Service

During turn-down service on the evening of the 27th, we did not receive any towels. We made three requests for towels (one through housekeeping, and two through the front desk) all for naught. Only three hours later, when I went to the front desk to inquire a fourth time, did a front door bellman intercept and offer to help me. Notably, the front desk was unattended for some time while I was waiting for the bellman to return with the towels. It seems there was only one clerk staffed to the desk during the evening (who was away from the front desk for some time) odd considering I was advised that the hotel was fully committed earlier in the day.

Pool

The pool area and pool itself were both very dirty. It appeared that the wall of the pool at the water line, as well as the water filter traps, had not been cleaned in years. Dirt came off of the walls and onto your shoulder if you bumped into the wall. The rafts and floatation devices provided were well worn, many with significant bite marks, and all very dirty.

Dining

Service at the main dining restaurant was slow and uninspired both at lunch on December 27th and breakfast on the 28th. Many items took multiple requests to receive. The hotel restaurant was such a disappointment that we chose to go to the airport early and eat there (despite not being known for its cuisine) for lunch on the 28th rather than eating another meal at the hotel.

Overall

This property is not becoming of Ritz Carlton, and diminishes the entire brand. You might consider re-flagging it as a Marriott. Frankly, it would probably hurt Marriotts brand and standing, too!

Ritz Carlton San Juan

Would you like to write a review on the The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:54 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
After the disappointing review, I wonder if anyone else has stayed here? I'll be here for business in Feb. I'd rather stay at the StR Bahia Beach, but that's too far out of town to be convenient for my client meetings. Alas...

There is quite a deal now for $559 nonrefundable at the StR Bahia Beach. It's 30 min out of town, so a little annoying...but it's not much more than the RC San Juan by the airport that I'm reading so many people here on FT say may be the worst RC in the entire RC portfolio.

Has service and F/B improved at the RC San Juan recently? Or is it better bang for my buck to stay at the StR Bahia Beach? I'm now inclined to think that maybe I should go where I know I'll be treated well (i.e. StR) rather than chance a crappy but pricey RC stay...even if it's a little farther away. Any thoughts on either property?

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 23, 2016 at 3:15 pm
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin
After the disappointing review, I wonder if anyone else has stayed here? I'll be here for business in Feb. I'd rather stay at the StR Bahia Beach, but that's too far out of town to be convenient for my client meetings. Alas...

There is quite a deal now for $559 nonrefundable at the StR Bahia Beach. It's 30 min out of town, so a little annoying...but it's not much more than the RC San Juan by the airport that I'm reading so many people here on FT say may be the worst RC in the entire RC portfolio.

Has service and F/B improved at the RC San Juan recently? Or is it better bang for my buck to stay at the StR Bahia Beach? I'm now inclined to think that maybe I should go where I know I'll be treated well (i.e. StR) rather than chance a crappy but pricey RC stay...even if it's a little farther away. Any thoughts on either property?
Really, really dislike this property. If you need to be in SJU proper, go for the Condado Vanderbilt. Not a *perfect* property, and maybe not top tier luxury like we're used to on this forum, but it's far and away better than the Ritz-Carlton SJU. I'd take this property 10/10 times vs. the Ritz-Carlton.

As for doing Bahia Beach, only you can decide if that to/from drive is worth it
Old Nov 24, 2016, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I have stayed a few times for one night stopovers. For that purpose it has the major advantage that it is only 5 mins from the airport.

Overall it not up to the usual RC standards, although it is far from a bad hotel. Check-in and and out can have horrendous queues, corridors are a little dated, and the general feel is a little railway station like.

Last trip, I specifically booked an ocean view room, but was upgraded to a side (pool) view suite and when I declined the upgrade, I was told there was no sea view room available (first world problem ?) ! On one occasion I booked the Club level and that was not bad. Decent lounge and helpful staff.

Good buffet breakfast (inside and out) and nice sunbeds and pool. However, the hotel is plonked in an unattractive area and general views - including from the beach- are not very attractive.

Hard to put one's finger on what is lacking, but it is not quite there.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:50 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Between pricesquire and NYBanker and Frequentflyer99, it's obvious this RC is not a decent RC. Together with the fact that the current SPG 30% off sale makes the St Regis Bahia Beach only $559/night, close to the cost of this RC, makes it an easy choice for me to cancel my RC San Juan reservation ($359-519/night) and instead book the StR Bahia Beach.

Besides, being SPG Plat100 also means I'm extremely likely to get upgraded to a suite at the extraordinary StR, versus begging for any upgrade at this subpar RC. Even better value for my money.

Thanks for everyone's help! You're da best! Happy Thanksgiving!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:55 pm

Wow! It can't be that bad.... ?

Okay...
I was all excited after I booked the Ritz Carlton San Juan for an upcoming March Break trip. But then I searched FlyerTalk (I know... do that first).

So now,
We're staying here at the RC San Juan at both ends of our 11 night stay in Puerto Rico. We're doing the centre of our trip in a VRBO.

My husband is in the military and we booked a rate for $195 plus tax and resort fee. $255.41 USD total for each night.

I thought this was an exceptional rate.

Though the Condado and Renaissance la Concha and almost all the other Marriott resorts have a similar $195 USD military rate.

I'm working in Canadian dollars to start with. So this and all the other hotels have a higher out of pocket cost for us.

But I would so appreciate your perspective and experience.

Given our rate, does this make the RC a better choice than la Concha and Condado? We've never stayed at an RC. La Concha has great base ocean view rooms. We have city view at The Ritz.

I read Elite benefits don't amount to much in Puerto Rico in general so that may be a non issue. Though I'm pursuing the last two nights of a Platinum Challenge with these two stays (Gold now). DH already is Plat.

Any feedback, details or criticism would be great.

Thanks much, NJD
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:17 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
We stayed at the Ritz last weekend for two nights. Overall, it was fine for our needs, especially considering we were able to get a very nice rate using the Marriott Friends and Family program in the low $200s. The rack rate was closer to $600 that weekend and had I paid that, my expectations would have been much higher. So, here's my recap:

The Good - The property is very close to the San Juan airport and on a very nice stretch of beach where the sand is very fine and powdery and not exposed to the shorebreak. The staff on the beach are very good about setting you up with chairs and umbrellas. Overall, all the staff we encountered were extremely pleasant and customer-friendly. Any place that hands you a guava mimosa at check-in rates high with me.

As a Marriott Gold, I was given a one-class upgrade from a city-view room to a pool-view room on the second floor. It was very, very quiet. I was also able to get late check-out extended from the normal 12:30 pm time to 2 p.m. without any additional charge. The property also offers a room you can book for 45 minutes at no charge to use for showering and changing. The room has two shower stalls and a changing area (but no sinks).

The Not-So-Good - The rooms are small and showing a little wear. I found the lack of outlets near the bedside tables to be annoying. However, the bathroom was large and the water pressure in the shower was at fire hose levels. While the beachside location is nice, there's not a lot of other things to do in the Isla Verde area. This was fine with us as we just sat on the beach both days we were there. But, if you want to do some sight-seeing, you are going to need a car or take taxis.

Other. - We didn't spend any time at the pool or eating at the fancy restaurants. For breakfast both mornings, we walked to the Las Canarias bakery next to the hotel and had empanadas and pastries on the cheap. For lunch, we ate at the casual beachside restaurant; the first day we had them bring out the food to us on the beach (took about 30 min) and the next day we sat and ate at a table in the restaurant. I didn't see that many people partaking in the Sunday Brunch. There's also a Walgreens just past the bakery if you need beverages or snacks for the room. We were stocked with four bottles of water each day. There's a few places within walking distance to eat, but we had a hard time getting into places on a Saturday night without reservations.

Getting to/from the airport is limited to either rental car or taxi; Uber isn't allowed to do pickups at either the airport or hotel. Despite the short distance, it's still a $15 or so ride, which is outrageous. There's an Enterprise Rent a Car at the Ritz but they charge a $40 drop fee if you want to do a one-way to the airport.

Overall, we were looking for a place to relax and just sit on the beach and do nothing else. This property suited us just fine, especially considering the rate we booked, Had we paid more or wanted to do more sight-seeing, I think we would have been disappointed.

Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming
Given our rate, does this make the RC a better choice than la Concha and Condado? We've never stayed at an RC. La Concha has great base ocean view rooms. We have city view at The Ritz.
Our rate at the Ritz was cheaper than any of the other Marriott properties and that, coupled with the close proximity to the airport and great beach made it a no-brainer for us. Here's some other threads in case you missed them:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-marriott.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...erto-rico.html

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 20, 2017 at 5:25 pm
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:14 pm

Thanks for the up to date info FiN. Much appreciated. And I'll check those links now.

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
We stayed at the Ritz last weekend for two nights. Overall, it was fine for our needs, especially considering we were able to get a very nice rate using the Marriott Friends and Family program in the low $200s. The rack rate was closer to $600 that weekend and had I paid that, my expectations would have been much higher. So, here's my recap:

The Good - The property is very close to the San Juan airport and on a very nice stretch of beach where the sand is very fine and powdery and not exposed to the shorebreak. The staff on the beach are very good about setting you up with chairs and umbrellas. Overall, all the staff we encountered were extremely pleasant and customer-friendly. Any place that hands you a guava mimosa at check-in rates high with me.

As a Marriott Gold, I was given a one-class upgrade from a city-view room to a pool-view room on the second floor. It was very, very quiet. I was also able to get late check-out extended from the normal 12:30 pm time to 2 p.m. without any additional charge. The property also offers a room you can book for 45 minutes at no charge to use for showering and changing. The room has two shower stalls and a changing area (but no sinks).

The Not-So-Good - The rooms are small and showing a little wear. I found the lack of outlets near the bedside tables to be annoying. However, the bathroom was large and the water pressure in the shower was at fire hose levels. While the beachside location is nice, there's not a lot of other things to do in the Isla Verde area. This was fine with us as we just sat on the beach both days we were there. But, if you want to do some sight-seeing, you are going to need a car or take taxis.

Other. - We didn't spend any time at the pool or eating at the fancy restaurants. For breakfast both mornings, we walked to the Las Canarias bakery next to the hotel and had empanadas and pastries on the cheap. For lunch, we ate at the casual beachside restaurant; the first day we had them bring out the food to us on the beach (took about 30 min) and the next day we sat and ate at a table in the restaurant. I didn't see that many people partaking in the Sunday Brunch. There's also a Walgreens just past the bakery if you need beverages or snacks for the room. We were stocked with four bottles of water each day. There's a few places within walking distance to eat, but we had a hard time getting into places on a Saturday night without reservations.

Getting to/from the airport is limited to either rental car or taxi; Uber isn't allowed to do pickups at either the airport or hotel. Despite the short distance, it's still a $15 or so ride, which is outrageous. There's an Enterprise Rent a Car at the Ritz but they charge a $40 drop fee if you want to do a one-way to the airport.

Overall, we were looking for a place to relax and just sit on the beach and do nothing else. This property suited us just fine, especially considering the rate we booked, Had we paid more or wanted to do more sight-seeing, I think we would have been disappointed.

Our rate at the Ritz was cheaper than any of the other Marriott properties and that, coupled with the close proximity to the airport and great beach made it a no-brainer for us. Here's some other threads in case you missed them:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-marriott.html
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:15 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Between pricesquire and NYBanker and Frequentflyer99, it's obvious this RC is not a decent RC. Together with the fact that the current SPG 30% off sale makes the St Regis Bahia Beach only $559/night, close to the cost of this RC, makes it an easy choice for me to cancel my RC San Juan reservation ($359-519/night) and instead book the StR Bahia Beach.

Besides, being SPG Plat100 also means I'm extremely likely to get upgraded to a suite at the extraordinary StR, versus begging for any upgrade at this subpar RC. Even better value for my money.

Thanks for everyone's help! You're da best! Happy Thanksgiving!
For the record, I got back last week from my stay at the StR Bahia Beach outside San Juan. What a great choice I made, as I absolutely loved it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...work-trip.html

We did make it to the RC San Juan for drinks after our dinner at the Condado, and I'd say the Condado wins if you want to be in town. The RC was as dated as everyone else claims.

The StR turned out to be much less inconvenient than I'd expected--it's mostly empty highway between the StR property and the airport and downtown San Juan. It never took me more than 30 min to reach the airport after a very easy drive. And yet the StR location was sublimely beautiful and enriching for anyone who prefers a less urban location.

Last edited by bhrubin; Feb 27, 2017 at 10:30 am
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:19 am

We are currently in the process of booking a PR trip and coincidentally the three locations mentioned (RC, Condado, and La Concha) are the ones that we've narrowed it down to. We are taking our 9 year old for her birthday. She's much more mature than most her age and will enjoy just lounging by the pool with a virgin margarita and maybe a little high end shopping.

The one concern that I've had with PR is that I'm afraid it will overcrowded. Much like Florida during Spring Break or Aruba. Which of the three would be best for this trip?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:48 pm

For the record, I got back last week from my stay at the StR Bahia Beach outside San Juan. What a great choice I made, as I absolutely loved it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...work-trip.html

We did make it to the RC San Juan for drinks after our dinner at the Condado...
Can I have your job?! Pretty please... ?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone have details on the hours of the club lounge here? Five daily presentations as usual? Free wine/beer/etc each evening?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.