Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Hotel Reviews - Consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Overrated IMHO
I thought Quay's food is good but not necessarily spectacular. Best part were the desserts. Snow Egg is on the tasting menu but can also order their 8 texture chocolate cake as an extra which is one of their classics but off the menu
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:37 am

Thumbs up

This is an old thread, but will post here anyway hoping for recomendations instead of making a new thread. Any advice is most helpful!

I have a three night stay in Sydney coming up mid octoberr and looking for a nice hotel.
Will be taking some meetings at CBD and one early morning meeting in Cooge so pref a Circular Quay/northern CBD location. Arrive early Wednesday morning, and then have a 10 AM saturday flight out.
I prefer the modern touch when it comes to interior and design.
Willing to pay a bit extra for a nice harbour/Opera house wievs.
No need for a full SPA but will have som downtime so a nice heated outdoor pool area would be nice.

Park Hyatt is unfortunately above my budget.
Shangri-La seems to be at capacity.
Due to the massive bad ratings I decided against the Four Seasons.

Leaning towards the Intercontinental, Mariott or Hilton. Any suggestions ?

Thank you
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am heading to Sydney soon and tossed up similar hotel options (although view was not a criteria) and ended up going with The Langham. The pool is indoor (but supposed to be beautiful) and the decor is modern. When I booked it priced well below the Park Hyatt and Shangri La.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by emma69
I am heading to Sydney soon and tossed up similar hotel options (although view was not a criteria) and ended up going with The Langham. The pool is indoor (but supposed to be beautiful) and the decor is modern. When I booked it priced well below the Park Hyatt and Shangri La.
I stayed at both Park Hyatt and The Langham in August '16 and felt The Langham offered far better value for money. The Park Hyatt definitely has a better hard product and views, but food and soft product are pretty similar. I'm planning on going back next year and will likely split the stay between the two, just for some variety.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:43 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
When using points for an award stay, I do believe the Park Hyatt Sydney is the overwhelming winner for best value--at least for entry level room categories. My mother and I had 2 upgraded rooms for 4 nights and didn't spend a cent being that they were award stays (and certs from the Hyatt credit card!).

That being said, I do believe the Langham is also a great deal and a very nice luxury hotel stay. We enjoyed it even as the pre-Langham Observatory Hotel.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 13, 2017 at 5:18 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:04 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
If you're willing to sacrifice CBD location, I'd recommend trying the new Spicers in Potts Point: https://spicersretreats.com/spicers-potts-point/
It might not be exactly what some define as luxury here - it's very much a boutique place and building style/location means pool isn't possible. Spicers has some nice properties in Australia inc a Relais & Chateaux in Queensland.

Potts Point is an upmarket cosmopolitan city fringe suburb around 15-20 minutes walk from the city across the parks. I lived there for four years (now in Paddington). Some of the best dining in the city is in the neighbourhood (Fratelli Paradiso, The Apollo I visit almost every week) and it has a great buzz to it.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
I have a quick overnight in Sydney in November. Never been to the city before so hoping to do some exploration. Basically around 24 hours in the city. I'm thinking of staying at either the Four Seasons Sydney or Shangri-La Sydney? Both are around same price, and offer Fine Hotels & Resorts benefits with 100 USD f&b credit etc. I am also a Shangri-La jade member if that matters.

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Shangri-la over Four Seasons.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:27 pm

Thanks all for valuable input.
Still undecided and Pullman Grand quay just became a contender.
A big fan of Sofitel, (esp their midtown Manhattan property) Im curious about the New one set to open in October in Darling Harbour. However, maybe not a Good idea to be there for their Grand opening

I've Got mixed feelings when concidering the Langham.
Absolutely sure its a wonderful hotel, and it comes so highly recommended everywhere. But the decor and interior just isnt for me. Long story short; My mum grew up in a great country house in England. Even in My childhood, visiting family always meant staying in guest rooms all furnished a certain way.
When Staying somewhere at a hotel I always trend to look for something that doesnt give me that feel. By the looks of it, the Langham Would.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:33 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Darling Harbour is horrific at the best of times. And the new Sofitel is attached to the International Convention Centre. Probably go with InterContinental - views from the club lounge are really great.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by sydakllon
Darling Harbour is horrific at the best of times. And the new Sofitel is attached to the International Convention Centre. Probably go with InterContinental - views from the club lounge are really great.

Thank you so much for useful info! Havent been to Sydney for 10years, so no clue about areas.

So bummed the Shangri-La is should out for My dates, seems to fit My needs perfectly.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Marc von Arnim (ex Park Hyatt Sydney GM) will be taking charge of the upcoming Capella Sydney. Located in the heritage sandstone building on Bridge Street. Early 2023.

Nice to see more luxury options in Sydney coming up.
ngfan likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 5:11 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aventine
Marc von Arnim (ex Park Hyatt Sydney GM) will be taking charge of the upcoming Capella Sydney. Located in the heritage sandstone building on Bridge Street. Early 2023.

Nice to see more luxury options in Sydney coming up.
It appears to be two buildings, the Government Department of Lands and separate Department of Education sandstones https://latteluxurynews.com/2019/07/...ney-downsizes/

Curious to know what views of the Harbour the hotel will have as they’re not high rise buildings.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 5:46 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
FYI

Capella Sydney will open shortly, on 15 March 2023.

https://capellahotels.com/en/capella-sydney
Old Mar 23, 2024, 4:45 am

Is the Langham any good now? Any recent stays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.