Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inn at Perry Cabin, St Michaels, Maryland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Inn at Perry Cabin, St Michaels, Maryland

Fiancé & I love FS but are new to luxury hotels and don't have much experience with other brands.

We are getting married in August but the real honeymoon is in September to Italy. We have 4 days after the wedding and the Inn at Perry is just a short drive away. Is this a luxury hotel we will be happy with? We definitely want a non-city relaxing trip. Where does Orient Express rank in terms of luxury? Our idea of luxury is anything FS.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:56 pm

Where in Italy will you be going?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Venice, Amalfi Coast, Rome for 2 weeks.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
For Venice I would suggest the Aman Venice
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
Venice, Amalfi Coast, Rome for 2 weeks.
The Forum has a number of great recommendations for Italy. The Aman Grande Canal in Venice opens this month.

On the Inn, I have never stayed there. However, I have stayed at Orient Express properties before. I have found them to be very hit and miss depending on which one. Unlike say FS where there is a corporate identity in all of the properties DNA which makes a stay at an FS whether it be in St Louis or Florence predictable in many regards, the OE is a more choppy experience depending on the property.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

We have 4 days after the wedding and the Inn at Perry is just a short drive away. Is this a luxury hotel we will be happy with? We definitely want a non-city relaxing trip. Where does Orient Express rank in terms of luxury? Our idea of luxury is anything FS.
It's a lovely property although it's not a luxury hotel per se since it's an inn. It is, however, a luxury property and is very tranquil and relaxing. I was there about a year ago and enjoyed my stay. If you read through my review, and especially go through the slide shows of the property on the last page, you'll get a good impression of it.

Inn at Perry Cabin, St. Michaels, Maryland – Hotel Review

Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for posting the review jspira. I'm learning to trust FT'ers more than general info that is out there.

Didn't get to work too much on Italy yet. Paid one of David ? from Brownell's a fee to arrange everything for us.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Thanks for posting the review jspira. I'm learning to trust FT'ers more than general info that is out there.
Glad it was helpful and yes, a careful reading of things FT'ers say is generally something one can place reliance upon.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:36 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The info I see with Bellini Club is that this property did get a big room refresh in 2011-2012 so I think the hard product should be up to speed. BUT, with so many flights out of DCA its an easy hop to so many places.... Twin Farms perhaps? I see there are even daily flights out to Nantucket with US Air.

Last edited by ABG; Jun 12, 2013 at 10:13 am
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:54 am
Original Poster

We both still work full time and managed to squeeze in a week skiing in Denver & Whistler (each), a week in Sequoia/San Fran, long weekends in Vegas and WV, 5 days in Santa Fe, and we just did a long weekend in Portland Maine (yes I'm braggin) since December.

We just got home from Portland on Monday night. We are laying in bed and she says "Promise me no more travel till after the wedding, I just want to stay home!" LOL. She's right we're both worn out from it all. If anyone is a skier, Whistler in the early season is phenomenal. FS is $200 night + Virtuoso benefits from around 12/1-12/15.

Long story short, we just want to have a relaxing vacation/trip that we can just drive to without all the hassle of flying.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:52 am

The Inn at Little Washington in VA is phenomenal if its not too far of drive.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Just back from a 4 night stay at the Inn at Perry Cabin, this is my review. My background - I've probably stayed 2 weeks at 3 different FS hotels in the last year, and another 3 or 4 weeks at the same luxury resort in Playa Del Carmen (Royal) over 7 or 8 years. So my 'luxury' experience is definitely limited compared to others on here.

First off - We loved the Inn at Perry Cabin. We will definitely go back. It's different from most other places we've stayed. Saint Michael's (the town it is in) is very, very small. It's definitely tourist based but without all the tourist entrapments. Loved the town. I would recommend the Inn for active (sports based) trips. The Inn has more of a resort feel. They would publish an activity list each day, all of which was free. We did 2 GREAT activities - a free fishing trip (we all caught our limit of 2 Rockfish), and aerial yoga (off resort).

The room (we had a suite) was excellent. They kept our fridge stocked with free bottled water and fresh apples. Every night they would come fill our ice bucket too. A very nice touch. The only complaint about the room was the TV's. They are the old (big) TV and it is right at the foot of your bed. The TV in the living room actually had - get this a built in VCR! We don't watch TV ever so I'd be totally content if they just removed them and didn't have any. We have an awesome balcony overlooking the bay. I think all the 1&2nd floor rooms have a balcony, some face the water better than others but all are bay side.

Keep in mind the Inn was built in 1816, so this is a 200 year old building you're staying in. I feel they did an excellent job dealing with what they had. It will never be a modern skyscraper with no creaky floors. And it's on the bay and it's wood frame. Wood decays especially near salt. It's not ever going to be this bright & new all stone building. They only have 78 rooms - my guess is the place will never feel crowded.

The pool & bar were excellent although service could have been a bit better. They did come around with cold towels and frozen grapes - once every 5 hours. Getting a chair and umbrella was never a problem.

My wife had a massage in the spa (deep tissue) and was very happy with it - better than average. The locker rooms are very, very small - maybe 300sft with just a Eucalyptus Steam Room. I'd almost say the place doesn't have a spa. They do well with what they have but don't go here for the spa.

If you are into sailing, fishing, running, road biking (we did 85 miles starting right from the hotel in 3 different trips), kayaking, swimming - you will find all those activities here. We are very active and loved St. Michael's as a base for our adventures.

My favorite part of the trip was at night we would grab a bottle of wine and go down to the chairs they have next to the seawall. Priceless. We would sit their overlooking the bay in Adirondack chairs.

Sherwood's Landing - we ate dinner & lunch their once each. Service was good (not great) and food was excellent both times. We had room service about 5 times, and every time the food was excellent although some of the servers were better than others.

Service - at times it was excellent, at times it was just good. The staff tried - you could tell they were well trained, but overall I felt they were new to the service industry. They didn't need more staff, they just needed the staff they had to do their jobs better. The pool had 2 waiters who were great when you had them but wouldn't take your empty plates back or bring the grapes around a 2nd time.

Virtuoso/Luxury Link - I'm a HUGE Virtuoso/DavidO fan. This was the first time the benefit was better somewhere else. Luxury Link was half price plus a $125 food credit and $115 spa credit (for the suite).

Last edited by Mbcijim10; Aug 23, 2013 at 3:24 pm
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great details, thanks.

I would recommend the Inn for active (sports based) trips. The Inn has more of a resort feel. They would publish an activity list each day, all of which was free. We did 2 GREAT activities - a free fishing trip (we all caught our limit of 2 Rockfish), and aerial yoga (off resort).

If you are into sailing, fishing, running, road biking (we did 85 miles starting right from the hotel in 3 different trips), kayaking, swimming - you will find all those activities here. We are very active and loved St. Michael's as a base for our adventures.
speaking of active / road biking >
http://www.blackberryfarm.com/events...r-de-smokies-1
http://www.departures.com/luxury-vac...our-de-smokies (john smith / 589879)
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great details, thanks.

speaking of active / road biking >
http://www.blackberryfarm.com/events...r-de-smokies-1
http://www.departures.com/luxury-vac...our-de-smokies (john smith / 589879)
Thanks! We already have a trip planned in that time frame or I'd look harder at it.

One of the rides we did was touted as the 'Top 25 in the US'. 20 of the 30 miles was alongside a very busy state highway. Shoulder was very big but traffic was way too high to be top anything.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We already have a trip planned in that time frame or I'd look harder at it.
blackberry farm has referred to it as "annual Tour de Smokies"
lots of coverage online including videos and photos
sep 22-25 2013 hincapie & ventura
mar 26-29 2013 vaughters
oct 7-10 2012 hincapie & vande velde & ventura
mar 11-14 2012 ventura
oct 9-12 2011 hincapie & vande velde & ventura
mar 20-23 2011 ventura
oct 10-13 2010 hincapie & ventura

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 24, 2013 at 5:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.