London Luxury Hotel

Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:13 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Wanda to build luxury London hotel

Dalian Wanda Group has announced plans for a luxury London hotel in what will be the tallest residential tower in Europe.

The Chinese firm yesterday confirmed that it had finalised a Ł700 million deal to build the five-star, 670 foot-tall property on the south bank of the River Thames in Vauxhall.

Constructed on what is currently known as the One Nine Elms site, the Wanda Hotels and Resorts hotel will offer views of London landmarks including Battersea Power Station.

It will also hold the distinction of being the first luxury hotel opened by a Chinese firm overseas.
http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...y-london-hotel

^
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Blackbook
Has anyone recently stayed at the Cafe Royal Hotel? How would you compare it with the FS, etc?
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Yes - entirely different concept and style from the FS. I found it very refreshing for London - a really good mix between historical preservation and contemporary minimalism. The Grill Room, which is now a Champagne & Caviar Bar, is sumptuous. Food, generally, is British - sometimes from old British recipes, so quite interesting. The Spa is yet to open - hopefully soon - but it has the advantage of an indoor pool.

I am a big fan of FS Park Lane, especially its suites, but wish it would improve its Amaranto menu, or preferably turn it into a modern British restaurant. The only hotel which does really authentic Italian is Bvlgari, where the food is excellent - And it makes sense for Bvlgari to have an Italian restaurant, whereas it makes no sense at all for FS to have one.
Didn't stay but pleased with what I saw of the public areas & lunch at TEN - on what must be my briefest visit to London ...
Swimming pool will only be ready in Sep when all the hotel should be functional . Will stay after.
They have made a conscious attempt at practical preservation.
Gutting the interiors of the 3 buildings. That allowed all floors to be on the same level i.e. unlike Brown where e.g. 2 nd floor in one part , maybe 2 1/2 or 3 rd level in a separate wing..
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by AlanThomas
I have heard great things about 45 Park Lane and The Milestone
Some people here even had the experience
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:27 am

Not sure how I feel about all of these huge skyscraper buildings in London, and too bad it will be a "Wanda" hotel.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I agree. I checked in. Then I got hassled because of my casual attire. I could not get across the lobby without being stopped by security. I wasn't allowed into the bar nor the restaurant. I promptly checked out and became hotel-less. The Lanesborough came to my rescue, so I didn't have to sleep in the streets.

As to the Savoy -- I will never return. I will never even CONSIDER returning to the Savoy. The Savoy has worked hard to join a very select personal s-list that includes Plaza New York, PH Tokyo, Alpina Gstaad, and Caneel Bay.

Others here can argue FS PL vs FS CW vs Lanesborough vs Connaught et al. London has a lot of good choices. But the Savoy ain't on that list.

Personally, I preferred the Lanesborough to FS PL.
Glad I found by accident this thread, which gives me the opportunity to recall my memories of my Savoy stay.

I have staid in many LHW group hotels, this is none of them, but The Savoy is an excellent luxury hotel in terms of service, rooms, restaurant facilities. I staid there 2 nights this easter. Had afternoon tea, with excellent "English" service, and breakfast. The location at Strand is not my first choice (Mayfair preferred).

What annoyed me were people with what you call "casual attire". I call it bad taste and slovenly clothed. I would stop those guests as well if I were responsible, there is nothing for them to find there. They really destroy the traditional atmosphere of this extraordinary beautiful best renovated hotel with that great history, and not the Fairmont management or the service staff. The less guests like this come, the more often I will stay at The Savoy when I am in London.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by submonte
Glad I found by accident this thread, which gives me the opportunity to recall my memories of my Savoy stay.

I have staid in many LHW group hotels, this is none of them, but The Savoy is an excellent luxury hotel in terms of service, rooms, restaurant facilities. I staid there 2 nights this easter. Had afternoon tea, with excellent "English" service, and breakfast. The location at Strand is not my first choice (Mayfair preferred).

What annoyed me were people with what you call "casual attire". I call it bad taste and slovenly clothed. I would stop those guests as well if I were responsible, there is nothing for them to find there. They really destroy the traditional atmosphere of this extraordinary beautiful best renovated hotel with that great history, and not the Fairmont management or the service staff. The less guests like this come, the more often I will stay at The Savoy when I am in London.
Unfortunately, bad taste isn't exclusive to the Savoy in terms of guests. I have seen hideous leopard spotted sweatpants and gucci gold lettered shirts at FS Park Lane, to name a few...
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP

Well. OK. Dressed EXACTLY like this: Steve Jobs, I was thrown out of the Savoy restaurant and bar. This is normal attire in high tech and I wouldn't call this 'slovenly'. I'll defer to your fashion judgement and just stay elsewhere in London.

PS -- To my credit, I was wearing a Brioni cashmere sweater, but the Savoy fashion police weren't impressed.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:34 pm

I know the feeling.

I once stayed at the Berkley and went down to the lounge on Sunday morning to enjoy the Sunday Times and a morning coffee. No one else was in the room. I was dressed in a cashmere turtleneck sweater, Burberry double breasted blazer, grey wool trousers and polished bespoke shoes. I asked an attendant for a pot of coffee and was told he could not serve me because I was not properly dressed. A tie was required. I asked where in the public rooms I could enjoy my Sunday newspaper as I was dressed and the answer was "nowhere sir".

Within a hour I was reading my Times and enjoying my coffee at the Four Seasons.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Hmmm.. interesting- I have not noticed too much difference.
This is interesting. I went back to OA for a short stay recently - having essentially abandoned it for several years in favour of Browns and the Connaught. I didn't know about the Campbell Gray thing, but I would agree that there is not much difference in the basic experience of the hotel, except the service is probably a bit less great. Frankly, part of the problem is that there has been no change in decor etc, at a time when choice has exploded in London. After having been a fan for many years, the last visit kind of confirmed my decision to try other places.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Well. OK. Dressed EXACTLY like this: Steve Jobs, I was thrown out of the Savoy restaurant and bar. This is normal attire in high tech and I wouldn't call this 'slovenly'. I'll defer to your fashion judgement and just stay elsewhere in London.

PS -- To my credit, I was wearing a Brioni cashmere sweater, but the Savoy fashion police weren't impressed.
I don't entirely see why you chose to sport the jeans, tennis shoes Steve Jobs look at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant and then complain that you were turned away. Just because you are in IT doesn't mean you can flaunt the sports jacket and tie requirement.. It's similar to wearing swim trunks and flip flops to a fine dining meal..
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:02 am

Education doesn't measure up to your shoes. I prefer smart casual people with a brain that Russian girls on high heels with Dior or Prada outfits who will laugh loudly. I will not go to Savoy anymore before they change their stupid policy.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I emailed the hotel to ask for their clarification on dress code. This is their reply

In regards to our dress code, throughout the hotel is 'Smart Casual'. Your sports wear would be acceptable when passing through the public areas although unfortunately, our restaurants and bar do require 'Smart Casual' attire ie. no shorts or sports wear.

I suppose the hotel has a much stricter interpretation of "smart casual".
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BENLEE
I emailed the hotel to ask for their clarification on dress code. This is their reply

In regards to our dress code, throughout the hotel is 'Smart Casual'. Your sports wear would be acceptable when passing through the public areas although unfortunately, our restaurants and bar do require 'Smart Casual' attire ie. no shorts or sports wear.

I suppose the hotel has a much stricter interpretation of "smart casual".
published dress code at savoy and ritz a year ago >
sounds like savoy might have been requiring more than was published
i really find the variation bizarre (underlined)
or are they just unclear and do not always say no sportswear and shorts even though that is the case?
regardless, "Smart trainers and denim are acceptable" at savoy grill

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.fairmont.com/savoy/GuestS...s/Overview.htm
odd variation...

Smart Casual, No Sportswear [yes shorts]
- river restaurant
- american bar
- beaufort bar
- thames foyer

Smart Casual [yes sportswear and shorts]
- simpson's in the strand

Smart casual, no shorts or sportswear
Smart trainers and denim are acceptable
- savoy grill

http://www.theritzlondon.com/restaurant/dining-en.html

jacket and tie; jeans are not permitted; sports shoes are not permitted
- restaurant
- palm court

smart attire is a must; jackets are required; sports shoes are not permitted [jeans??]
- rivoli bar

smart casual
- cigar shop and tasting room
Originally Posted by Blackbook
I don't entirely see why you chose to sport the jeans, tennis shoes Steve Jobs look at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant and then complain that you were turned away. Just because you are in IT doesn't mean you can flaunt the sports jacket and tie requirement.. It's similar to wearing swim trunks and flip flops to a fine dining meal..
http://www.fairmont.com/savoy-london/dining/savoygrill/
Chef Patron Stuart Gillies, of Gordon Ramsay Holdings

Smart casual, no shorts or sportswear.
Smart trainers and denim are acceptable.
then stay at ritz

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 15, 2013 at 10:47 am
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
I must say that I'm thoroughly amused by this 'Savoy fashion police' diversion. This sort of cr*p would never be tolerated in California. For those of you defending the Savoy and its stupid, arbitrary dress policy, well ....

Working in 'IT'? I assume that's supposed to be an insult. I don't know anybody working in 'IT' that can afford the Savoy, unless they own the company. Mr. Ramsay is at or near bankruptcy. Perhaps refusing to serve customers like me has contributed to his problems? Maybe Mr. Ramsay should consider taking my money. I would have spent $250+ at his restaurant had I not checked out of the Savoy during my stay. I wonder how often this little soap opera gets repeated. Often enough, I suspect, to impact the bottom line. Not a single fine dining restaurant in La Jolla attempts to enforce a dress code. The last one that did, Jakes, went under in a spectacular fashion.

Education doesn't measure up to your shoes. I prefer smart casual people with a brain that Russian girls on high heels with Dior or Prada outfits who will laugh loudly. I will not go to Savoy anymore before they change their stupid policy.
Dead on. Can you imagine how you have responded at an Aman if you were hassled on your 'fashion'?

If there is whining now about how I was dressed, just wait until the 'GEN Y' dudes make it to the point where they can afford the Savoy. After that are the 'Millennials'. These new generations aren't going to even consider tolerating these stupid and geriatric dress policies. Number 3 here: Generation difference #3: Generation Y and Dress Codes

I have seen hideous leopard spotted sweatpants and gucci gold lettered shirts at FS Park Lane
And THAT ruined your entire stay? Really? Could you elaborate?

or are they just unclear and do not always say no sportswear and shorts even though that is the case?
regardless, "Smart trainers and denim are acceptable" at savoy grill
Kage -- The problem here is that if you are staying at the Savoy, you must cross the lobby to get to the Savoy Grill. That means dodging the Savoy lobby fashion police. So the stated policy of the restaurant is squashed by the fashion policy of the Savoy.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by jrussell
I know the feeling.

I once stayed at the Berkley and went down to the lounge on Sunday morning to enjoy the Sunday Times and a morning coffee. No one else was in the room. I was dressed in a cashmere turtleneck sweater, Burberry double breasted blazer, grey wool trousers and polished bespoke shoes. I asked an attendant for a pot of coffee and was told he could not serve me because I was not properly dressed. A tie was required. I asked where in the public rooms I could enjoy my Sunday newspaper as I was dressed and the answer was "nowhere sir".

Within a hour I was reading my Times and enjoying my coffee at the Four Seasons.
When was this?

I've never heard of the Berkeley having any sort of dress-code and I lived there for several months. Either way, that's an awful, awful attitude, hopefully limited to one staffer, and I hope you brought it up with management. For what it's worth, I consider the Berkeley to be the most casual (in an elegant way) of the hotels in London.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.