Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Sharm el Sheikh

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Silver; Delta
Four Seasons Sharm el Sheikh

Has anyone been to this property lately? Thoughts?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:04 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We looked at it for a diving trip this fall. The rates are great! Ultimately, we couldn't get past the instability in Egypt. You'll want to research it a bit and decide for yourself.

Last edited by Ericka; Oct 16, 2012 at 5:59 pm
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Ah come on...

Cairo is a long way from Sharm and Sharm is not a danger zone.
It's no reason to avoid one of the best four seasons in the system.

You can fly direct from the Uk or via Amman for example.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

might not be "danger" but there is the recent change in national govt.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 16, 2012 at 9:17 am
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:27 am

We've been to Bali and Marakkech after terrorist attacks. We've been to Amanpulo after tourists were kidnapped from other island resorts. But for some reason, this one rubs us the wrong way. Kage might be onto something about the new government, and no, I don't personally think we can call them friends, yet. Anyway, there are people who still vacation there.

Sharm is located on the southern end of the Sinai Peninsula which has had multiple tourist kidnappings this year. If you do go, just be smart and avoid all activities that require driving to other locations (no St. Catherine's) etc. Stick to the hotel I guess.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:31 am

I can appreciate U.S citizens being overly cautious.

That said,the four S Sharm,is what 10 minutes from the airport in a hotel Limousine,a resort you could in theory not want to leave and who organise their own guided trips to the sights.Fear of kidnap wouldn't cross my mind.

There have been terrorist bombings in London,Moscow and Madrid much more recently than Sharm,yet you'd hardly use that as an excuse to avoid those?

I hope you don't think I'm being argumentative on this,I googled,and found news reports of 2 Bostonians kidnapped in july in Sinai,in some attempt to have some relative released.The stats on kidnappings and crime in the U.S are according to google are actually very high.
I do think too much attention/scare mongering goes on in talking about where to travel to.

Anyhow,you are all your own best judge,I'm just giving a perspective

As for Egypts new government,it was elected wasn't it? And anyhow,Egypt,especially the Sharm region is very protective of tourism.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:56 am

+ one Brazillian group, one South Korean group, and at least one other American group in the recent past. And they tend to also take the guide.
The question is.... on the off chance you are kidnapped, do you trust the new Egyptian govt. to either retrieve you, or allow your own government sufficient access to retrieve you?

Personally, I'd just stay close to the hotel and not do the offsite activities.

And poor Usairelite thought we'd actually be talking about the merits of the Four Seasons!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
If you're just going to take a limo to the hotel and never leave the grounds why bother going the Sharm? There are other places to go diving. I don't personally think it's that dangerous but one should do what makes one comfortable.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:29 am

To be fair,and with respect,I googled and found only one in the recent past,if thats the last 3 years or so.
If we applied that criteria to every where,we'd go nowhere.

The biggest recent problem with Sharm actually has been sharks.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Earthman, Ericka was talking 2012. i just confirmed, and saw a 3rd american group in 2012.

Ericka has not recommended a decision, and initially did not even raise specifics.

re FS sharm, plenty of discussion in this forum.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 16, 2012 at 5:02 pm
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
... and for some more perspective, some of us actually CHOOSE to live here.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

I just read the kidnapping story and one of the hostages seemed fine. (Not saying kidnapping isn't bad) , but anyways does anyone have info about the hotel itself the rates are very attractive.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
There in May - Not so in October

I have been in FS Sharm end of April beginning of May 2012 for a week.
It is an average FS property, at the best.

Biggest disappointment were food and beach. Pools were of a 4 star design.

Strongest point were spa threatments. Spa itself was nothing to talk about at home but therapists were just great as was yoga teacher.
The Diving centre, for those who care, is nice with a good team and several boats (speed boat, yacht, etc..).

I'll be back in Sharm in 10 days and I have not selected the FS given the average experience I had there.
Unfortunately, the red sea is really missing some nice resorts and that is a pity because it is a real convenient destination for those (as me) looking for warm and close escape during cold seasons in Europe...

I hear St. Regis might open something
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Could you go into more detail about the food. Was it all the restaurants I general?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Food

Originally Posted by Usairelite
Could you go into more detail about the food. Was it all the restaurants I general?
Yes, the food was "average" everywhere. There are actually not many restaurants in this property. At dinner you should decide between the Italian restaurant and the local (I think it was lebanese cuisine). The Italian is surely the best option but I found it hit and miss. The chef (italian) use to welcome guests every single evening for long time spending lot of time talking to every table...quite unusual. I had some decent meal, but some less interesting as well.
The other option is the lebanese that i found really average. Both menu are quite limited hence annoyng after two or three days.
Those two restaurants are located on the left and the right of the main stair leading to the lobby. It is exactly resembling the lay-out of Four Season Lanai (Manele bay) and even there you have an Italian restaurant on the right of the stair and the local on the left...@:-)

There is even a grill down to the pool and the atmosphere there recall more a Holiday Inn (with all the due respect to the chain) then a FS.

My general impression is that the hotel is saving consistently on F&B budget.
Please feel free to ask any additional detail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.