Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Lanai - FS Lodge at Koele or FS Inn at Manele?

Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Please help me decide between the two. Seems like the Lodge is pretty isolated, but the Inn at Manele is too much like a typical hotel. Anyone out there stay at either or both and have comments? TIA
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by kuroneko
Please help me decide between the two. Seems like the Lodge is pretty isolated, but the Inn at Manele is too much like a typical hotel. Anyone out there stay at either or both and have comments? TIA
Yes I have stayed at both. It makes sense to spend a couple of days at Four Seasons Lodge at Koele, then a few days at Manele Bay as the experiences are quite different.

It all depends upon why you are going there and if you play golf.

Both resorts have incredible golf courses that embrace the land and the sea. Whichever you stay at, you can play both courses. There is a regular shuttle between the resorts as they are only around 15 mins apart and most guests take advantage of both experiences.

The Lodge at Koele is set high on the island and is cooler. It is also a more rustic, relaxed inland resort - very colonial in style and with only 102 rooms and suites.

Manele Bay is a more conventional resort, with 236 rooms and suites. It is very grand and with stunning sea views - more dining options, too. There is also a beach below the resort, whereas at The Lodge, you are high on a bluff, so no beach.

Manele would be the choice for families or people who want beach activities and a more vibrant resort feel, whilst Koele is better suited to couples and/or golfers who are looking for peace and quiet and a more authentic Hawaiian experience.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Yes I have stayed at both. It makes sense to spend a couple of days at Four Seasons Lodge at Koele, then a few days at Manele Bay as the experiences are quite different.

It all depends upon why you are going there and if you play golf.

Both resorts have incredible golf courses that embrace the land and the sea. Whichever you stay at, you can play both courses. There is a regular shuttle between the resorts as they are only around 15 mins apart and most guests take advantage of both experiences.

The Lodge at Koele is set high on the island and is cooler. It is also a more rustic, relaxed inland resort - very colonial in style and with only 102 rooms and suites.

Manele Bay is a more conventional resort, with 236 rooms and suites. It is very grand and with stunning sea views - more dining options, too. There is also a beach below the resort, whereas at The Lodge, you are high on a bluff, so no beach.

Manele would be the choice for families or people who want beach activities and a more vibrant resort feel, whilst Koele is better suited to couples and/or golfers who are looking for peace and quiet and a more authentic Hawaiian experience.
Manele Bay is a rebadged Starwood property, I think - certainly, the rooms themselves are nothing to write home about (and the resort is sprawling, so you need to be careful what room you select depending on how much peace and quiet you want). However, pool area and views are spectacular.

Last edited by grumbler; Aug 12, 2009 at 12:11 pm Reason: Deletion of duplicative material !
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Both resorts used to be Starwood properties. I stayed at the Lodge in Feb 2008 and at Manele Bay in April 2009. As the other posters said, it completely depends on what you want in a vacation.

The Lodge is really unique. Depending on what time of year you're visiting, though, you may not get the heat/sun of Hawaii. In Feb and Apr, having visited the Lodge, I definitely wore jeans and a sweater. Sometimes there is fog. If you're looking for a romantic, beautiful place that is NOT the beach, then the Lodge really fits the bill. Gorgeous grounds (the landscaping is really spectacular, I was stunned). Activities like lawn bowling (with no one else around), croquet, executive putting, very easy and serene activities. The Lodge inside has a grand hall. Dark woods, fireplaces, a bar/oak room with drinks.

If you're going to Hawaii because of the beach and sun, Manele Bay is great. The rooms are nice (the Lodge actually has nicer rooms in my opinion). The pool is standard but nice, two hot tubs, and a pretty easy walk down to the beach. Service at the pool and beach is superb. Chair set up, food/drink service (at the pool).

Lodge is less expensive. Yes you can visit both resorts, but definitely stay longer at the one you want to be at.

Can you tell us something about the vacation you're trying to have? Maybe that would help...
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:16 pm

We live in the Mtns so Manele Bay was a no brainer... we loved it. We visited the Lodge and played golf on the Experience. Its an easy quick ride from one resort to the other. I would recommend staying at Manele unless you live on/near the beach now.... in which case you might want to split your visit and stay at both places. They are totally different.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:23 pm

I've stayed at Manele Bay twice, and visited the Lodge several times during both stays. I agree with MTGKJ; unless you live at or regularly vacation at a really nice beach or maybe if you don't have the chance to visit a mountain or foothill area, I'd suggest staying at Manele Bay and visiting the Lodge. You'll get the feel for that property with a visit, golf or a hike from the Lodge.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by grumbler
Manele Bay is a rebadged Starwood property, I think - certainly, the rooms themselves are nothing to write home about (and the resort is sprawling, so you need to be careful what room you select depending on how much peace and quiet you want). However, pool area and views are spectacular.
Originally, both properties, which were built by the Dole Pineapple Company, were managed by the original Rockresorts and were in those days of a very high quality. It was much later that Starwood was brought in to manage them, so they had nothing to do with the design or quality levels.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Originally, both properties, which were built by the Dole Pineapple Company, were managed by the original Rockresorts and were in those days of a very high quality. It was much later that Starwood was brought in to manage them, so they had nothing to do with the design or quality levels.
I think my point was that it's pretty clear FS wasn't involved from the ground up, so to speak.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
I think my point was that it's pretty clear FS wasn't involved from the ground up, so to speak.
True, and I hear what you are saying. Although this is the case for many Four Seasons properties, from the Ritz Carlton which they manage in Chicago to the Bora Bora Four Seasons, which was originally to be a Ritz and the management changed. In either event, I generally find that Four Seasons does wonders for most places they manage and could probably make a tent in the jungle into a top resort.....
Old Aug 13, 2009, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting re FSBB. IMHO beachfront villa design is incredible.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
interesting re FSBB. IMHO beachfront villa design is incredible.
Absolutely, and the initial reviews on the place are spectacular.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:37 am

Sorry grumbler, misunderstood. You are correct, but then FS will rarely take on an existing construction unless it lives up to FS standards and even then it will want to bring it up to FS quality levels.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions! It sort of confirms my suspicions. We (a couple with no kids) are planning to visit HI at the end of the month, and will have many opportunities to both stay on the beach and visit the mountains, so the decision is still tough.

It sounds like the Lodge is the answer, since it seems like a more charming/unique property than Manele. Will definitely let you all know what we finally decide and what the stay is like.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:11 pm

To get a better idea of the resorts, we purchased the Great Hotels episode on Lanai that features both properties. While the Video http://www.amazon.com/Great-Hotels-S...wn_review_prodis a bit old, it does give a good idea of the two resorts and of the island. We bought it and decided that we couldnt decide between the two properties.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

We ended up at The Lodge

Just a little follow-on post as promised - we ended up staying 3 nights at The Lodge, taking advantage of the recent promotion for buy 2, get 3rd night free. For us, this was absolutely the right choice. It was nice to be walking distance to Lanai City and the shops and restaurants, something that we would not have been able to get if we stayed at Manele. We did take the hike on the adjacent trail (A nice touch was that it has walking sticks (for the hike) as one of the room amenities.), used the shuttle to the Bay, and also just hung out and enjoyed the resort, which was lovely.

All-n-all, we found both resorts to be extremely relaxing and uncrowded. Probably the highlight of our overall Hawaii vacation, which also included Kauai and Maui.

The FS shuttle not only goes to the Manele Bay location, it also stops in town at the Hotel Lanai. I would add that we had an excellent meal at the restaurant at the Hotel Lanai (forgot the name) - highly recommended.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.