Wiki Posts
Search

Amalfi coast, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Amalfi coast, Italy

Hello,

I am heading to the Amalfi coast for a few days also to have a look at the luxury hotels there.

Which ones do I have to see? What hotels are the best of the best?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:53 am

Welcome to FT !

This subject has been mentionned quite a few times on this board, so you'll find threads through the search button !

One thread in particular could be helpful, and bears the same title :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...lfi-coast.html

You'll find plenty info about the usual suspects in the Amalfi coast (Il San Pietro, Il Sirenuse, Il Caruso, Palazzo Sasso, Santa Catarina ) and trip reports .
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:54 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I have the same question, planning a trip in August. Not having been there before, I found this one, which looks promising: http://www.casangelina.com/. Doesn't seem like the highest level; anyone know it?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Thank you, Vincentb89!
I will have a look at the thread.
Mecabq: have a look at http://www.hotelcaruso.com/
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by thecoolhunter
Thank you, Vincentb89!
I will have a look at the thread.
Mecabq: have a look at http://www.hotelcaruso.com/
Thanks, looks good. Also, although most of the hotels that posters in the thread cited by Vincentb89 highlighted are not in fact on the Amalfi coast, there were some promising suggestions there. I booked Le Sirenuse, which not only looks spectacular, but is located right in Positano.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:17 pm

By the way Palazzo Sasso in Ravello will be renamed from early 2013, changing to Palazzo Avino . Website name already updated
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Be sure to have lunch, at least once, at San Pietro. Wonderful!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 6:27 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Be sure to have lunch, at least once, at San Pietro. Wonderful!
I have to agere as i have honeymoon memories from there. <3
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:17 am

All-round favourite is ex-Palazzo Sasso, soon to be Palazzo Avino (named after owning family).
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
To keep in mind that while Amalfi and Positano, and the hotel considered are directly front sea (especially Il San Pietro and Santa Caterina) with direct access to private beach and/or private platform on the sea, Ravello is located on a fantastic and scenery hill.
It might be interesting to add that Ravello, for a marketing choice, is targeting a more mature and sophisticated clientele which reflect in some differences compared to Amalfi and Positano: as an example most (maybe all) restaurant in Ravello close at 10.30 p.m. while in other places on the coast you will have the possibility to late dining.
In Ravello there are virtually no places to enjoy a late drink while on the coast in season you will have plenty of life till late, if you so wish.

As a last addition, I would like to point to the Villa Cimbrone Hotel. If looking for a romantic setting, to me there is no better place in the whole coast.
Maybe you could be somehow molested by non guest events (especially weddings, thinking about Kage thread) because they have some of most spectacular gardens and views I remeber in a Hotel.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:35 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
All-round favourite is ex-Palazzo Sasso, soon to be Palazzo Avino (named after owning family).
Funny that you loved it. A couple of years back the staff was surly - Virgin style (and I am fluent Italian speaker), so I would prefer the Orient Express property (Caruso) with its absolutely great pool suspended in the sky and its free boat tour departing from Amalfi. Was there in 2009.

This said, the Amalfi coast is becoming a gourmet destination with my big favourite the Taverna del Capitano (very remote location) and Don Alfonso to be avoided. Both have two Michelin stars with the first raising and the second sharply falling .
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:31 pm
BLV

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...estions-5.html
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Club Carlson, Hilton Honors
http://www.historichotelsworldwide.c...di-amalfi-hhw/
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
having been to them all, i couldn't agree more. LOVE the place.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold+, LH HON, Starw Plat, RC Plat
Nice views in the region. Hotels are overpriced but do have great locations. Rooms and Suite are small and many need some upgrades. Staff are usually very nice Sasso, Sirenuse, and Piedro are the best. Food is good all around, spa are poor to average in all of them. Luxury they are not but certainly the best the area has to offer. However one or two nights is the most that is required to see the area. Sirenuse wins my vote as it is in the Village with shops and restaurants. Piedro is lovely but remote, Sasso is in a boring village but yes nice views!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.