Search

Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:38 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
its a browser issue. ill check other browsers, but my current one disables flash.
I assumed, but it won't load on Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. Very annoying...and this has been true for months. Not impressive at all.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

remember its vacation home.. kind of like richard branson's Lodge and Necker

there was actually a thread at one point on horrible luxury hotel websites
(i think im weird here, id prefer as little spending on web/etc as possible)
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:51 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I've emailed to let the resort know. I couldn't even use the website contact form--it doesn't even allow me to complete any of the fields!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I've emailed to let the resort know. I couldn't even use the website contact form--it doesn't even allow me to complete any of the fields!

Works fine for me, Maybe you dont have an up to date flash?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:19 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Michael82
Works fine for me, Maybe you dont have an up to date flash?
Maybe hotels shouldn't be using flash websites in 2017?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:44 pm

I told the GM during our stay in August '16 that the website was awful, and they're lucky they have a submarine, as that was enough for me to ignore the lack of any other useful information. He told me they were working on a new website, as he agreed. I guess the web designers are working towards the same infamous "Fijian Time" as the staff at the resort.
FlyerEC, SojournsOf and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:46 am

On our final night at Miavana, we spent a few hours at the bar talking to a couple that had arrived earlier that day. They had been to basically every single expensive beach resort in the world: North Island, Brando, Necker, Vella, Cheval Blanc, Sovena Jani and it went on and on and on. Their main advice to me was: do not go to Laucala. Bit too late for that, but thanks for the advice anyway.

They told me they went in 2014 and thought it was the best holiday they've ever had, so decided to return last year for Christmas, whereby it became their worst. They and their friend ended up receiving a full comped stay due to all the issues, which included crabs in their air conditioning that meant they could never sleep, immense staff dissatisfaction and rude management. The GM just recently left, which they were pleased to hear - although I liked the man, but with service issues I experienced, someone ultimately has to take the blame when it's universal across the resort.

My stay was nowhere near deserving of any financial compensation, but I still do not feel any need to return. I'm just happy I finally found someone who also did not think Laucala the greatest thing on earth. My life is complete.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:34 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
On our final night at Miavana, we spent a few hours at the bar talking to a couple that had arrived earlier that day. They had been to basically every single expensive beach resort in the world: North Island, Brando, Necker, Vella, Cheval Blanc, Sovena Jani and it went on and on and on. Their main advice to me was: do not go to Laucala. Bit too late for that, but thanks for the advice anyway.

They told me they went in 2014 and thought it was the best holiday they've ever had, so decided to return last year for Christmas, whereby it became their worst. They and their friend ended up receiving a full comped stay due to all the issues, which included crabs in their air conditioning that meant they could never sleep, immense staff dissatisfaction and rude management. The GM just recently left, which they were pleased to hear - although I liked the man, but with service issues I experienced, someone ultimately has to take the blame when it's universal across the resort.

My stay was nowhere near deserving of any financial compensation, but I still do not feel any need to return. I'm just happy I finally found someone who also did not think Laucala the greatest thing on earth. My life is complete.
Crabs in the air conditioning! That's creeping me out just reading about it.
Did they have a new favorite?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Ericka
The world's most expensive chilled crab.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MacMyDay

I'm quite torn.

On the one hand, the couple @MacMyDay met at Miavana obviously had such a good first stay at Laucala that they returned for a second visit. So that's a point in favor of Laucala.

That their second visit was a disaster over the busy Christmas holiday period doesn't bother me so much...since I always think less of people who vacation over the busiest holiday periods and then whine later. I think chilled crabs sound delicious, actually. I'm much more concerned about whether or not the air con worked well.

That this same couple visited Miavana in its first 6 months despite it obviously being ridiculously overpriced and not quite ready makes me question their perspective again.

On the other hand, I also would trust @MacMyDay and his lower esteem of Laucala...and believe that Laucala screwed the pooch for this referenced second visit for their Miavana friends. Points against Laucala.

But I also have to question anyone's judgment for going to Miavana.

This reminds me of my judgment in risking a stay with Azura Buengerra Island for the end of our honeymoon in 2010. It was dreadful. We'd never go back. It was so bad that we won't even consider the more reputed Azura Quilalea Private Island.

My conclusion: don't assume that any place is the greatest on Earth because so many others tell you it is...but don't be so quick to believe anyone who went to Miavana, either.

As an aside, Laucala just informed me yesterday that they cannot guarantee air con temps in the bedroom of any villa beyond a range of 69-73 F. For $6000+ a night, I expect a better guarantee.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 22, 2017 at 10:44 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:20 am

As an aside, Laucala just informed me yesterday that they cannot guarantee air con temps in the bedroom of any villa beyond a range of 69-73 F. For $6000+ a night, I expect a better guarantee.
Without wishing to drag this off topic, I was staying at a villa by The Hideaways Club in Phuket (needs a GBP 70,000 - 230,000 investment, with GBP 3,000 - 15,000 annual fees for management expenses for one fund type which is the 'Classic' collection, aka villas/chalets etc, and another similar figure for the city collection that is all apartments in cities) where I was told that the air conditioner breaks down if you try to bring it lower or higher than it's 23-27 C range.

In Phuket. In Thailand. In the midst of summer where it's not only sunny and hot, it's humid.

Needless to say I threw a bit of a hissy fit - they called someone in, got it fixed and I brought it down to 15 C. Whether it was actually 15 C or not is a different point (bit of a sugar pill?) but it was most certainly adequately cooler than the first couple of nights I stayed there where the air conditioner was actually broken (the remote control would freak out when I tried to bring it below 25 C) and had the ceiling fan on full. I didn't need the ceiling fan on the last night, and actually had to turn off the air con midway through the night cos it got cold.

And this was, in my opinion, a very poorly managed property.

I'd expect a lot more from a place such as Laucala.
nmuva98 and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
Did they have a new favorite?
I didn't think to ask their favourite beach resort - now I feel stupid. It definitely will not be Miavana. They were discussing how much they loved some of the New Zealand lodges, such as The Farm, as an example of their favourite properties.

That this same couple visited Miavana in its first 6 months despite it obviously being ridiculously overpriced and not quite ready makes me question their perspective again.
Point well made. Miavana is the ultimate in misjudgement. Like watching someone eat yellow snow, it's hard not to judge.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:01 am

I think some of the demands outlined here and elsewhere on this Forum - regarding climate control, menu choices etc - are quite unreasonable in places such as Fiji and Madagascar where the infrastructure is so fragile or non-existent. In a place like Hawaii or Barbados or Bali maybe these sort of demands are realistic.

I remember once staying at a place called Peponi, near Lamu in Kenya, which lacked air conditioning and many so-called luxuries, yet the hotel drew many luminaries and celebs because of its utter remoteness and tranquility. The owner explained to us in great detail how her entire day, entire week, entire life was spent dealing with suppliers and getting stuff in from Nairobi on a daily basis. It was a miracle, really. Yet the guests made allowances and understood the problems and just enjoyed the place for what it was. I think something similar happens at a place like Mnemba, that little beach shack off the coast of Zanzibar.

Now people demand 65 degrees in their room when the outside is 100 degrees heat and 90 percent humidity and people demand fresh foie gras or whatever. Frankly I don't care if the air-con breaks down or if the kitchen can't supply a ***Michelin dinner on a whim. Madagascar is not like Dubai.

There is a price factor, of course, but even a ludicrous $6000 a night can't really deliver on some of the expectations and demands. Common sense must tell you that.

Last edited by Pausanias; Sep 23, 2017 at 3:08 am
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I think some of the demands outlined here and elsewhere on this Forum - regarding climate control, menu choices etc - are quite unreasonable in places such as Fiji and Madagascar where the infrastructure is so fragile or non-existent. In a place like Hawaii or Barbados or Bali maybe these sort of demands are realistic.

I remember once staying at a place called Peponi, near Lamu in Kenya, which lacked air conditioning and many so-called luxuries, yet the hotel drew many luminaries and celebs because of its utter remoteness and tranquility. The owner explained to us in great detail how her entire day, entire week, entire life was spent dealing with suppliers and getting stuff in from Nairobi on a daily basis. It was a miracle, really. Yet the guests made allowances and understood the problems and just enjoyed the place for what it was. I think something similar happens at a place like Mnemba, that little beach shack off the coast of Zanzibar.

Now people demand 65 degrees in their room when the outside is 100 degrees heat and 90 percent humidity and people demand fresh foie gras or whatever. Frankly I don't care if the air-con breaks down or if the kitchen can't supply a ***Michelin dinner on a whim. Madagascar is not like Dubai.

There is a price factor, of course, but even a ludicrous $6000 a night can't really deliver on some of the expectations and demands. Common sense must tell you that.
while i agree with many of the things you say, and I am a very easy going person myself, having a generator and a decent air conditioning unit is not that difficult these days, even in madagascar or fiji. if it is a hot and humid area you simply buy a bigger air conditioning unit that is able to handle those conditions.

the logistical problems still exist in many remote areas of the world, not every food item might be available, there might be internet or phone problems etc; but when you are talking about places that charge 4k to 6k a night I am pretty sure you can be supplied foie grass even in antarctica. if singita can bring the world to your feet in grumeti reserve in the middle of tanzania, than companies asking for the same price or more should be prepared to do it on an island off the coast of zanzibar or fiji. ultra-luxury experiences in remote places is difficult business, but there are people who charge a lot and do it very well and there are people who charge a lot and fall very short on what they are advertising.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pausanias

You know not of what you speak.

I've been to Fiji numerous times, including two private islands (Turtle and Vatulele Islands) that cost substantially less than Laucala. Vatulele had spectacularly good air con in its premium villas that cost a quarter what those at Laucala do.

I've also been to Anjajavy L'Hotel in Madagascar, reviewed here on FT, which also had spectacularly good air con in its accommodations that cost less than a quarter what those at Miavana do. Ironically, I also mentioned how Anjajavy's cuisine looked the part of a Michelin star restaurant and likely was as good as any Bib Gourmand.

There is a price factor, and Laucala and Miavana simply aren't delivering on it. They advertise that they have all the bells and whistles and charge concomitantly astronomical rates that reinforce you are paying for and should expect the best. Using the remote location as an excuse is nothing but a scapegoat.

You may not care, but then you don't ever seem to go to such properties. I research carefully to ensure that any property I visit will meet my needs. If a property promises and then doesn't deliver, that is a failure. The remote location or your lower expectations aren't excuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.