Wiki Posts
Search

Mandarin Oriental taking over The Mansion on Peachtree

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Mandarin Oriental taking over The Mansion on Peachtree

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...e-mansion.html

I know MO has been trying like heck to open a property in Atlanta, and I believe they based their North American headquarters in the city as well.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Among locals, the St. Regis Buckhead has caught on far better than The Mansion, as a destination for drinks, spa, etc. MO tried to get the flag on what became the St. Regis. MO also did a deal for a new-build tower on Peachtree at 13th in Midtown, but that fell apart in the great recession. So, yes, they've been trying to get into this market for a long time. Nearest MO's are Washington and Miami. As a major international gateway, including for Asians on business and shopping, ATL is right in MO's target market.

The owners of the Mansion recently did a deal to put Del Frisco's Grille in the restaurant building fronting on Peachtree Rd. MO's flag could go up as early as next month. I hope this revitalizes the troubled property (condo sales stalled in the recession and ensuing foreclosure battle). It's a landmark building. I'd like to see it do well.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good for cent cardholders

i wonder if MO was in running to buy rosewood, but lost out because new world bought a bunch of properties
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Among locals, the St. Regis Buckhead has caught on far better than The Mansion, as a destination for drinks, spa, etc. MO tried to get the flag on what became the St. Regis. MO also did a deal for a new-build tower on Peachtree at 13th in Midtown, but that fell apart in the great recession. So, yes, they've been trying to get into this market for a long time. Nearest MO's are Washington and Miami. As a major international gateway, including for Asians on business and shopping, ATL is right in MO's target market.

The owners of the Mansion recently did a deal to put Del Frisco's Grille in the restaurant building fronting on Peachtree Rd. MO's flag could go up as early as next month. I hope this revitalizes the troubled property (condo sales stalled in the recession and ensuing foreclosure battle). It's a landmark building. I'd like to see it do well.
Do you think they'll slowly renovate the property into the Mandarin Oriental sense of style? Del Frisco's Grille doesn't seem like a MO-type of place.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Do you think they'll slowly renovate the property into the Mandarin Oriental sense of style? Del Frisco's Grille doesn't seem like a MO-type of place.
Just by knowing the MO brand, I would expect some cosmetic renovations to add the Asian influences you'd expect in a MO. I agree that Del Frisco's is a whole lot more Texas than Hong Kong, so it doesn't really match the MO ambiance. That said, the restaurant building is somewhat separated from the main hotel tower, so maybe the owners think it doesn't need to be fully integrated into the hotel. The Del Frisco's deal was announced just a couple of weeks ago, so the MO deal must have been in the works when the restaurant deal was done.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
I was never very happy with my stays at the Mansion so i'm looking forward to seeing MO place their stamp on this property. It has fine bones and just needs some TLC. In addition to the old Craft space upfront that is apparently becoming Del Frisco's there is a cafe/bar space in the hotel building itself that would make an appropriately integrated MO style(Silks)restaurant/lounge.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta Officially Opens Today

Luxury Travel Magazine: Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta Officially Opens Today

Housed in an iconic building designed by celebrated American architect Robert A.M. Stern, Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta soars 42 stories above the Atlanta skyline and offers sophisticated, residential elegance in its 127 spacious rooms and suites.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
Any stays since the property was re-flagged?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by nba1017
Any stays since the property was re-flagged?
My plan was to stay at the St Regis next time in Atlanta, but the MO might be an option. Someone in this group will come through for us.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Interesting they don't have a signature restaurant listed yet.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:57 pm

Del Friscos is still in the process of opening - not ready just yet. While the restaurant is completely autonomous from the hotel, it would be nice if there was something a little more symbiotic! I'm in Atlanta and look forward to experiencing both the hotel and the restaurant.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:24 am

Have visited Mandarin Oriental Atlanta for their Chinese New Year event... WOW! These guys really know how to throw a party. I tried the Spa too, top notch as usual for MO. You must try it!!!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:20 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since the hotel has now been open for some months and since there is a more recent thread on luxury hotels in Atlanta, namely this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

I am now going to close this thread and suggest new comments be put in the other one.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

P.S. Welcome to FT, luxury1996!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.