FS costa Rica

Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, AMEX Cent, Hertz Gold, Priority Pass, Delta AMEX Reserve
FS costa Rica

Any recent experiences at the FS Costa Rica? Any comparisons to FS Maui, Hualalai, Nevis would be great. We have visited these properties recently. Thinking about taking three kids under 10 for spring break to Costa Rica.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:21 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Under 10 is too young for Costa Rica if you plan to explore and visit cloud forest, zip line etc. If you plan to never leave the hotel it would be fine
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by wayzfam
Any recent experiences at the FS Costa Rica? Any comparisons to FS Maui, Hualalai, Nevis would be great. We have visited these properties recently. Thinking about taking three kids under 10 for spring break to Costa Rica.
I've been to all but Hualalai, though only Nevis recently (earlier this Summer). The other two were a few years ago.

FSCR is well out onto Peninsula Papagayo, and had we not spent a fair amount of time traveling CR before our arrival, I probably would have felt trapped. I'm sure there are excursions available from there, but I cannot fathom using it as a base to properly explore Costa Rica.

FS Maui I did not at all like - felt too much like an incredibly busy hotel plopped down on a beach - and we enjoyed Nevis earlier this Summer. Hualalai is highly regarded here.

Based on personal experience and reviews here, I would expect to rank these as:

1) Hualalai

2) Nevis
3) CR

50) Maui
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by aa213bb

1) Hualalai

2) Nevis
3) CR

50) Maui
Sitting in FS Lisbon now (BK buffet is **wretched**). You rank FS Maui at 50? That's much too high.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:21 am

I've not been to the Costa Rica FS which is quite famous for having lots of rather noisy kids at all times of the year. Nature watchers wouldn't choose this resort anyway - Costa Rica has several small lodges to choose from, though the birds themselves aren't that picky and are probably happy to drop by the FS.

Nevis in my view shouldn't have a big resort - this island is all about plantation houses.

The FS on the Big Island, however, seems perfectly in keeping with the place, though it lacks a proper swimmable beach, I think. The ones to go for, in my view, are the two on the island of Lana'i.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:15 am

I have stayed at the FS CR as well as Hualalai; I've been to, but not stayed at, the FS Maui.

We really liked the FS CR. It is relatively small and the rooms have screened in porches that were great for just hanging out. It is at the very end of the peninsula, so there are beaches on two sides; the beaches are well maintained, the water is warm, and it is easy to swim in. The pools are well maintained and I liked the grounds very much. Excellent spa. There are activities similar to other FS, including a pretty interesting nature tour of the golf course (the course is stunning itself). There are animals, including various birds and monkeys, on the property.

I would agree that much of the charm of CR is being able to do lots of activities (rafting, hiking, going to the volcanos) pretty easily, but I do think the FS CR delivers a very good resort experience. It is fairly isolated, so if you think you will want to eat a lot of meals off property, take that into account.

I love the Hualalei, and think it's fantastic. It certainly is very set up for kids, with the dedicated pool area. The lack of a swimmable beach is a negative, but the property is so beautiful that it can overcome that. The large number and choices of pools also help. Also, for a child over five or so, the Kings Pool (essentially an enclosed snorkel spot) is awesome. It's like swimming in a big aquarium. On the other hand, the Hualalei is (at my last check) very very much more pricy than the FS CR. Depending where you are, it may be quicker to get to CR than to Hualalei, also.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
You rank FS Maui at 50? That's much too high.
I just chose "50" to be illustrative, though I certainly understand your point. I know it's a very divisive property on this board -- I certainly fall into the "beyond overrated" camp. But, "different strokes" and all that ...

Back to the topic; I discussed with my wife last night, and (in general) she agrees with my assessment.

In short, I would spend some time exploring CR from various bases (Manuel Antonio, Monteverde, Puerto Viejo, etc etc), and then finish my trip with a stay at the FS.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:20 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by wayzfam

Have been at all four and stayed at Nevis and CR. Have to agree with aa213bb that the Maui FS also seemed to me to be plopped/wedged into a beach area and not all that appealing to me. But did not stay there. Also did not stay at Haulalai but the property but was there while on the island and is beautiful and not at all like Maui. Gets incredible reviews and many just love it. Seems to have lots for kids.

Nevis FS is beautiful and although I might agree that it is a bit of an anomaly on that island, they do a good job of being elegantly low key enough and it is easy to get into town and blend into the local surroundings. We loved our time there and the fact that the property fit with the area. Local fish shack down the beach that blared opera etc. Nice spot but quiet and not a lot of action. Probably not a lot for the younger crowd unless things have changed.

FS CR is quite isolated by car due to the peninsula, but there is a 20 min ferry (if memory serves) to a town near by. Rooms are gorgeous and the porches are even more incredible. Washer/dryers on every floor (a big plus with kids). It has been a while but I seem to remember lots to do there for kids and adults. We also did this after exploring CR and ending up there. The only downside for us is that you are more than a bit "trapped" for eating there which fine, but not much opportunity to break for the local culture and less "restaurant" style food. But a beautiful place.

If it were me I would pick FS CR or Haulalai for your family situation and would depend entirely on whether you wanted to explore Hawaii or Costa Rica. I suspect the resorts for families are quite analogously suitable and lovely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.