Off Topic: Luxury hotel stocks?

Subscribe
Hi,

this is some kind of off topic here but did anyone invest in hotel, airline etc. stocks?

I just found out that Bil Gates holds 42% of the Four Seasons (gone private in 2007) the other part is held by Kingdom holdings, not public either unless you are living in Dubai.

I wonder where to invest
I think that a publicly traded company would have too many outside pressures for short term quarterly results to be able to achieve and maintain what people on this forum consider true luxury without cutting corners and service becoming robotic in nature.

Consider how poorly the world's largest "luxury brand" LVMH is regarded by some on this forum or the dissapointment expressed when a luxury hotel joins Starwood and Ritz-Carlton partnered with Marriot.
That is indeed quite a good answer. But then again, if you look at all those brands included in LVMH, I'm not d'accord .

Dom Pérignon, Chateau d'Yquem , in cosmetics Acqua di parma, jewlery: Bulgari, De Beers.. that all is LVMH, too.

And Hermès? Come on, that was a quite good stock last year :-)
Quote:
Consider how poorly the world's largest "luxury brand" LVMH is regarded by some on this forum
Is there a thread on this? What's wrong with LVMH?
Quote: Is there a thread on this? What's wrong with LVMH?
Quote: It was always the sort of place where you had to book one of the suites as the rooms are tiny with too much Antonio Citterio furniture, but it sounds as though service has really gone down. Pity, as the garden in the summer is delightful. Another one to cross off the list, although I had already done this after hearing that LVMH Group (Cheval Blanc etc) had taken over.
Quote: Lord, my chosen moniker - Vuittonsofstyle - was meant to be ironic, but now I wish I had chosen something less combative, especially as LVMH is mooted to be bidding for Aman. Pity I could not have taken Amanjunkie or something similar.
And of course this essay from Wharton titled "Illusion Not Quality, The Transformation Of The Luxury Niche Into A Global Mass Market":
Quote: ," LVMH designer Marc Jacobs remarks, "you see it is mass-produced luxury. Vuitton is a status symbol. It's not about hiding the logo. It's about being a bit of a show-off." Thomas is precise and cutting in her discussion of luxury's newly democratized landscape. "Vuitton is the McDonald's of the luxury industry," she states. "It's far and away the leader, brags of millions sold, has stores at all the top tourist sites -- usually steps away from a McD's -- and has a logo as recognizable as the Golden Arches."