Wiki Posts
Search

Advice: Luxury Hotel Choices for a trip to HKG / China

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: F
Advice: Luxury Hotel Choices for a trip to HKG / China

The plan is for a two week or so trip to Hong Kong and Beijing/China next October or November for my wife and I. We're looking for a leisurely itinerary with time to enjoy some of the better hotels there as well as sightsee, rather than any frantic must-see-this-and-that plan, but we probably won't be going back to the region for several years. So it may be best to dip into various hotels than to go the whole hog with one particular site.

Consider the budgetary constraints to be about 2-3K GBP or 4-5K USD to be spent on the luxury hotels on the trip, other nights we will slum it in ICs / St Regis etc funded by copious amounts of PC and Starwood points. DavidO will deal with Virtuoso and FSPP rates, and I also have Amex FHR available.

So how should we divide up the luxury hotels on the trip?

Option A:

2 nights MO Hong Kong in a Harbour View Room. Attracted by the hotel's status and history and its central location. And the Captain's Bar.

2 nights FS Hong Kong in a Peak View Room. Attracted by the pool, restaurants, and maybe the Exec Club.

1 night Aman Summer Palace in a basic room. Attracted by the location / physical structure, accepting maybe some service issues.

and maybe throw in BOGO 2 nights at the IC HKG TST in a Harbour View Room, just for the view.

(obviously all with the hope of upgrades on arrival)

Option B is to just go the whole hog with Aman and do their 6 night deal at ASP and Amanfuyan. We have not stayed in an Aman yet. Attracted by the experience, worried about feeling trapped!

Other thoughts: put off by the views from LMO, considered the Peninsula but the MO and FS probably offer more value for money at the low end of the price range.

We would value your thoughts, suggestions, alternative ideas?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC, BA
It's a tough decision because both options sound fantastic and I'm sure you'd have a great trip either way. I'm usually faced with a similar dilemma when dividing up travel and would highly recommended just choosing 1-2 hotels per city and stay at least 3-4 nights. I personally find its just a hassle moving properties every other day and it's nice to be a bit more grounded. Makes for a more enjoyable vacation IMO.

On that note, I suggest you look into some of the "suite temptation" rates at the MOHK. Essentially, you pay for 2 nights in a suite and get the third night free as well as breakfast and some other credits. It usually works out to cheaper than just booking a Harbour Room for 3 nights.

With regard to Beijing, there's plenty of good hotels. I'd consider splitting my time between the ASP and Park Hyatt.

Enjoy your trip
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The IC ex-Regent in HKG happens to be a true luxury hotel, esp. their terrace spa suites. Better than the MO in some respects, certainly no worse, so you might considering slumming it there. Just be sure you don't confuse it with the other IC, because then you might actually be slumming.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
I'd drop the bags in one hotel for your stay in HK and that would be the FS - recommend a harbour room/suite with exec club access.

The pool, exec club, *** restaurants & location just seal the deal for me.

It's expensive but worth every cent IMO.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: Too many
I love the IC personally, great views, suites are fantastic and have wonderful food
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Interesting that there are no votes so far for the Aman options over the alternatives. Hmmm.

Given that we have not experienced either FS or MO at HKG, would it not be most fun to try both rather than just sign into one?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I'd do Option A. I was very disappointed with Aman SP. Even if they fixed the service/ restaurant issues, the location is still not ideal. Will not waste money there.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:34 pm

Amanfayun is a beautiful hotel and is a great combination with Shanghai and Hong Kong.There is also the well regarded FS in Hangzhou.
I haven't been to Aman Summer Palace but recent reports have been good.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redshift27
two week or so trip

MO Hong Kong...status and history and its central location. And the Captain's Bar.

FS Hong Kong...pool, restaurants, and maybe the Exec Club.

Aman Summer Palace...location / physical structure

considered the Peninsula but the MO and FS probably offer more value for money at the low end of the price range
in 2 weeks, id think 1 night at both aman

1 night at FS for pool/club
visit MO/pen
visit RC for view

keep an eye on offers especially free nights

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 6, 2011 at 9:05 pm
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:48 am

Aman Summer palace works best at Suite level - entry level accommodation is not the best experience, whereas Amanfayun works better at entry level and mid level as the accommodation is just the right size.

I would skip Beijing, personally, and do HK (FS or MO, if you prefer more historic), then fly to Hangzhou and Amanfayun, then on to Shanghai and stay at the Peninsula. Lovely trip, great hotels, lots of sightseeing, but not overly stressful.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: SPG platinum, Sixt platinum
Think FS in HKG is a better choice. Can also try the new RC as they have a stunning view of HK Island.

Not many choices in Beijing. Amman is nice but too far away from everything else in my opinion.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: SPG, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Aman Summer palace works best at Suite level - entry level accommodation is not the best experience, whereas Amanfayun works better at entry level and mid level as the accommodation is just the right size.

I would skip Beijing, personally, and do HK (FS or MO, if you prefer more historic), then fly to Hangzhou and Amanfayun, then on to Shanghai and stay at the Peninsula. Lovely trip, great hotels, lots of sightseeing, but not overly stressful.
For summer of 2013, we're thinking of discovering China for a couple of weeks. If we're staying at Amanfayun, should we still do FS Hangzhou Westlake as well? Would that offer us a different experience. So would you really skip Summer place all together?

Also, which beach destination combines well with China during summers? Sanya does not seem great.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle

I'd have to agree, but I think you forgot that there is a budget here.

Regarding Beijing: Outside of Forbidden City, if there is anything redeeming about Beijing, I've not seen it. It isn't worth going to Beijing to see the Great Wall. The smog is thick and the traffic makes a Los Angeles freeway at rush hour look empty. Also, I don't have the first idea what you do at ASP in 1 day. After a 4-night stay, I still had trouble finding my room. And the service was shockingly poor.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I would do one hotel in Hong Kong and would choose the FS for location, views, and service. I would get high floor, harbor view. Lounge is nice, but I love the restaurants in hong kong so dont use it much, and typically have room service for breakfast, so for me not that important.
It is walking distance to MO and I wold suggest a drink in the bar there and a meal at Man Wah their wonderful Chinese or the Mandarin Grill if you feel like western. If you want to be on Kowloon side the views from the IC are some of the best in the world IMO, but I prefer to stay on Hong Kong Island, and the service is just outstanding at FS.
For Beijing, I have not tried the Aman SP, but usually have stayed in one of the suites or larger rooms at the Peninsula which is a good location, but not my favorite hotel. Also have done China World and St. Regis, but I tend to choose based on location of business meetings in Beijing. For pleasure trip I would probably try Aman SP unless you want to save there.
Liked what I read about FS Hangzhou so would probably try that hotel, and I would try to squeeze in Shanghai at the Peninsula which is a beautiful hotel.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:38 am
Original Poster

My trip is currently shaping up as IC Beijing to settle in, 1 nt ASP, FS Hangzhou, a few days in Yangshuo, then 2 nights each at IC HK (Harbour View) and MO HK (ditto).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.