Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What should the new description of this forum be?
Option 1- Exceptional boutique hotels
21.15%
Option 2- Very best independently owned
25.00%
Option 3- No hotel names
42.31%
Option 4- Top 100
11.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Voting time

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:03 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Voting time

Due to the limitations to the number of characters which can be included in a poll, I have had to work around this issue. Below are the 4 options included in this poll.

To manage this vote I had to exercise some Moderator discretion and whittle down the top contenders down to four to make this more manageable. I would prefer to see discussion of the merits of these options discussed in the existing thread. Anyone who wishes more clarification is free to PM me.

With that, the poll will be open for 14 days and your vote will be public. You can only vote once and for only one option. Choose carefully.

Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Aman, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Ritz Carlton, as well as exceptional boutique hotels.

Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as the very best independently-owned hotels in locations around the world.

Option 3- No hotel names
Discussion regarding the very best luxury properties around the world.

Option 4- Top 100
Interested in the very best luxury hotels around the world? Small inns, converted palaces, plush large city hotels or modern beach resorts - if they're genuine contenders for the top 100 in the world then discuss them here.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luxury
I have had to work around this issue

poll will be open for 14 days and your vote will be public. You can only vote once and for only one option
looks good ^

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...scription.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post18147327 >

A2 = Option 1
Originally Posted by Ericka
Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Aman, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Carlton and truly exceptional boutique hotels
A3 = Option 2
Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as the very best independently-owned hotels in locations around the world.
A4 - slight change
Discussion regarding the very best luxury hotels in locations around the world. These may include Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as independently-owned hotels.
A5 - referring to "best in <New York City>" etc
Discussion regarding the very best hotels in a given location. These may include, but are not limited to, Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as independently-owned hotels
(i dont think the differences, which are not huge, really matter for voting purposes. could consider discussing any refining after poll has ended)

thanks again to Ericka for keeping it going and Kettering Northants QC for working up an actual "description", as well as all the participants in the thread, and luxury for creating this poll, and the support of obscure2k and SanDiego1K too

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 9, 2012 at 5:06 am
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in terms of whether to include examples (of companies) or not >
will combined vote for Options 1 and 2 (examples) be weighed against Options 3 and 4?
for example 5, 5, 6, x
6 beats 5 (or) 10 beats 6

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 8, 2012 at 2:53 pm
Old Apr 8, 2012, 1:33 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
in terms of whether to include examples or not >
will combined vote for Options 1 and 2 be weighed against Options 3 and 4?
for example 5, 5, 6, x
6 beats 5 (or) 10 beats 6
Yes, 1 and 2 in particular are so similar the vote might be "split".
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:17 pm

I agree, the similarity of 1 and 2 in particular might "split" the vote.

Perhaps a preliminary vote could be used to decide between A) Description that includes named examples OR B) A description that includes no specific examples.

After deciding whether or not specific examples should be used, possible descriptions could be fine tuned, and then a final vote could determine the specific wording.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:33 am

This is now SO confusing as the meaning of 'boutique' in North America is totally different to its meaning in Europe, so you really cannot call FS boutique (To a European, boutique suggests small in size - it has nothing to do with attitude or style). Can we PLEASE just stick with what we have currently?!!!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
This is now SO confusing as the meaning of 'boutique' in North America is totally different to its meaning in Europe, so you really cannot call FS boutique (To a European, boutique suggests small in size - it has nothing to do with attitude or style). Can we PLEASE just stick with what we have currently?!!!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Vuittons.
I read boutique as used in this description to mean small, not as a reference to FS, so I'm not sure what you mean exactly.
And if you like what we currently have, you'd better vote for it! #2
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:43 pm

I am fairly new here, but still here is my take: "no hotel names" has to be the most accurate and universal option. Not every property of a so called luxury chain is real luxury neither in absolute terms nor in their respective markets for most of the room categories, not all (local) luxury hotels are part of any chain and some not overall luxury properties have excellent "hotels within hotels" (e.g., club rooms or tower vs. main hotel)
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveller
I am fairly new here, but still here is my take: "no hotel names" has to be the most accurate and universal option. Not every property of a so called luxury chain is real luxury neither in absolute terms nor in their respective markets for most of the room categories
+1
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:23 am

I agree. Boutique refers to size, so the current description does include luxury boutique hotels, whether they be chain properties (like FS Marunouchi) or independently-owned properties.

Originally Posted by luxury
Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Aman, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Ritz Carlton, as well as exceptional boutique hotels.

Options one and two are virtually identical, the only differences being Ritz-Carlton vs. Dorchester Collection, and boutique vs. very best independently owned. Currently this is splitting the vote even though a majority still favors a description with examples.

Can we merge the two to include both Dorchester and Ritz-Carlton?

IMO "very best independently-owned" is better than "exceptional boutique hotels," because it does not exclude larger independently-owned luxury properties based on their size.

Re option one, I believe we already discussed that Aman is best referenced as Amanresorts.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 15, 2012 at 5:36 am
Old Apr 15, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
+1
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Please let's stick with "Luxury Hotels"

I absolutely agree with vuittonsofstyle.

Please let's stay with the forum name "Luxury Hotels". It's quite clear, and it's quite famous and popular right now!

Prada or Porsche will not change their names as well. For good reason.

Please keep it "Luxury Hotels"!!!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:36 am

The forum name would no change, Deer. It is the description below it that is being voted on.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
The forum name would no change, Deer. It is the description below it that is being voted on.
Thank you for the clarification!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:24 am

VOTE

Fine - then let it be #3 - Option 3- No hotel names
Discussion regarding the very best luxury properties around the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.