Amanusa Trip Report

Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Chairman's Club, Virgin Australia The Club, AA Executive Platinum, SPG Gold
Amanusa Trip Report

We recently returned from a week at Amanusa and it was every bit as good as expected. I really love the grandeur of this resort. The sheer size of the public areas for a mere 35 villas is astounding. Any other resort chain would squeeze in another 300 rooms on a property of this size.

We were upgraded to a Deluxe Suite which is exactly the same as the Garden Suites but has a nicer outlook - expansive views over the tree tops of the golf course and to the ocean. The rooms are impeccably maintained and as many others have stated it's almost beyond belief that this resort is 20 odd years old. Housekeeping in particular deserve a mention as they are meticulous in their cleaning and restocking of the rooms - something that I'm particularly fussy about.

The resort was EXTREMELY quiet when we were there - to the point that we had the entire pool and beach club to ourselves bar 2 occasions!! It was like having the largest private villa imaginable to yourself. And whilst other resorts might let the lack of guests result in a drop in attention and service levels this was absolutely not the case with the wonderful Aman crew. I did find though that whilst we loved the privacy during the day it would have been nice in the evenings to have a few more people around to add a bit of ambience to the bar and restaurants. We only ate at the resort 3 times. Twice at the Terrace Restaurant and once at the Italian. I must say though that the meal I had at the Italian was one of the poorer meals of the trip and I wouldn't be tempted to try it again. The rest of the nights we went into Seminyak for dinner. Our favourite place being Metis which I thought was really world class in terms of food and decor. We ate one night at PJ's at Four Seasons and just hated the whole experience and the Four Seasons comes off as being very tacky indeed compared to the quiet elegance of Amanusa. We loved going out at nights for dinner but couldn't wait to get back to the peace of our Suite at Amanusa.

There was just a couple of things that slightly marred the experience. The first and more minor was on one occasion the staff were having lifeguard training and the entire pool was out of action from 7.30 in the morning until 3.00 in the afternoon - the bulk of the day basically, and no notice was given via a note in the room and no apologies for the inconvenience. I understand that staff need to be trained but maybe it could be done over 2 days and early in the mornings from 7.30 - 10.00 or some such.

The other and more serious drawback to our stay was the level of noise from the nearby construction - and when I say nearby, I mean nearby! It became increasingly louder as our stay progressed to the point that you couldn't even sit by the pool and would rush through breakfast at the Terrace in the morning to get away from it. The noise would start from 7.30 and last until 6.00 pm and they worked through the weekends as well. We could even hear it, quite prominently from the terrace of our Suite so even sitting outside was jarring. The staff were very apologetic and of course it's out of their hands but I think that a little warning from the resort before booking would be in order. I also thought that given the extent of the noise that the resort could've offered something in the way of compensation - maybe drinks in the bar of an evening or something of that nature. So just keep that in mind if considering going there. We actually had one staff member tell us that they'd had quite a few guests check in and then check out again the next day due to the noise so maybe that's why the resort was particularly quiet.

Despite the noise we loved Amanusa and I can't wait to return once the construction has finished.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ClefsDor
We recently returned from a week at Amanusa and it was every bit as good as expected. I really love the grandeur of this resort. The sheer size of the public areas for a mere 35 villas is astounding. Any other resort chain would squeeze in another 300 rooms on a property of this size.

We were upgraded to a Deluxe Suite which is exactly the same as the Garden Suites but has a nicer outlook - expansive views over the tree tops of the golf course and to the ocean. The rooms are impeccably maintained and as many others have stated it's almost beyond belief that this resort is 20 odd years old. Housekeeping in particular deserve a mention as they are meticulous in their cleaning and restocking of the rooms - something that I'm particularly fussy about.

The resort was EXTREMELY quiet when we were there - to the point that we had the entire pool and beach club to ourselves bar 2 occasions!! It was like having the largest private villa imaginable to yourself. And whilst other resorts might let the lack of guests result in a drop in attention and service levels this was absolutely not the case with the wonderful Aman crew. I did find though that whilst we loved the privacy during the day it would have been nice in the evenings to have a few more people around to add a bit of ambience to the bar and restaurants. We only ate at the resort 3 times. Twice at the Terrace Restaurant and once at the Italian. I must say though that the meal I had at the Italian was one of the poorer meals of the trip and I wouldn't be tempted to try it again. The rest of the nights we went into Seminyak for dinner. Our favourite place being Metis which I thought was really world class in terms of food and decor. We ate one night at PJ's at Four Seasons and just hated the whole experience and the Four Seasons comes off as being very tacky indeed compared to the quiet elegance of Amanusa. We loved going out at nights for dinner but couldn't wait to get back to the peace of our Suite at Amanusa.

There was just a couple of things that slightly marred the experience. The first and more minor was on one occasion the staff were having lifeguard training and the entire pool was out of action from 7.30 in the morning until 3.00 in the afternoon - the bulk of the day basically, and no notice was given via a note in the room and no apologies for the inconvenience. I understand that staff need to be trained but maybe it could be done over 2 days and early in the mornings from 7.30 - 10.00 or some such.

The other and more serious drawback to our stay was the level of noise from the nearby construction - and when I say nearby, I mean nearby! It became increasingly louder as our stay progressed to the point that you couldn't even sit by the pool and would rush through breakfast at the Terrace in the morning to get away from it. The noise would start from 7.30 and last until 6.00 pm and they worked through the weekends as well. We could even hear it, quite prominently from the terrace of our Suite so even sitting outside was jarring. The staff were very apologetic and of course it's out of their hands but I think that a little warning from the resort before booking would be in order. I also thought that given the extent of the noise that the resort could've offered something in the way of compensation - maybe drinks in the bar of an evening or something of that nature. So just keep that in mind if considering going there. We actually had one staff member tell us that they'd had quite a few guests check in and then check out again the next day due to the noise so maybe that's why the resort was particularly quiet.

Despite the noise we loved Amanusa and I can't wait to return once the construction has finished.
Great report, many thanks. I liked the Italian restaurant less too, even though the outside tables are beautiful to look at. Did you notice the enormous antipasti bar inside? Not sure any of it was ever eaten! It sounds as though the noise has got worse than last month. How long did it take to get to Seminyak? We were told that it could often take over an hour, which put us off.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClefsDor
Italian was one of the poorer meals of the trip...Metis which I thought was really world class in terms of food and decor...PJ's at Four Seasons and just hated the whole experience...

...staff were having lifeguard training and the entire pool was out of action from 7.30 in the morning until 3.00 in the afternoon - the bulk of the day basically, and no notice was given via a note in the room and no apologies for the inconvenience. I understand that staff need to be trained but maybe it could be done over 2 days and early in the mornings from 7.30 - 10.00 or some such.
great info, especially re dining. ^

at such a pool closure at aman.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:33 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Interesting about all this construction we've been hearing about. And nothing they can do about it. Shame.

Your pool closure suggestion certainly sounds like a good one. Hope someone is reading this and learning from that suggestion....especially at a resort such as this where there are not many pool suites and people are more inclined to use the main pool.

Thanks for the report.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Chairman's Club, Virgin Australia The Club, AA Executive Platinum, SPG Gold
Londonjetsetter, the tables at the Italian are lovely aren't they and the antipasti bar was the highlight of the meal there but I agree, what would they do with all the leftovers every night??

It took us about 45 minutes to get into Seminyak at night but the trip back to the hotel was much quicker - probably only about 30 minutes and whilst it was a bit of a trek it was worth it as we really enjoyed all the restaurants we went to greatly - bar PJ's. Over a weeks stay I don't think I could've eaten at the hotel everynight.

It is such a shame about the construction noise and apparently it's likely to last another year - mind you I'm sure that the noise levels will vary, maybe they were doing the main excavating whilst we were there hence the level of noise. As I mentioned it got noticeably louder during the week. Monty the GM even told me that his office actually shook during the day. He was very concerned and apologetic.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:17 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Anyone stay at Amanusa recently? Is the construction noise still an issue? Thinking of trying out this resort but will be annoyed if there is noise. Also, which rooms have the best ocean views?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:49 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Anyone stay at Amanusa recently? Is the construction noise still an issue? Thinking of trying out this resort but will be annoyed if there is noise. Also, which rooms have the best ocean views?
Didn't hear any noise mid- Jan but best email Sean F, GM.
Ocean views are only distant.. Stayed in so many & all had golf course with ocean views beyond. Before , none or few buildings in the horizon - tracked " changes " in skyline over the years.
I always enjoyed my stays , sometimes not even making it to the beach - liked the main pool even if we were in pool suites!!
Can 't recall Which suites as am a bit jet lagged now.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Didn't hear any noise mid- Jan but best email Sean F, GM.
Ocean views are only distant.. Stayed in so many & all had golf course with ocean views beyond. Before , none or few buildings in the horizon - tracked " changes " in skyline over the years.
I always enjoyed my stays , sometimes not even making it to the beach - liked the main pool even if we were in pool suites!!
Can 't recall Which suites as am a bit jet lagged now.
Good to hear noise isn't an issue. Also have email Sean the GM and he said the golf course is currently closed for renovation and noise isn't issue. I supposed there isn't much difference between golf course view and Ocean view then. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.