Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What's your pick in Kuala Lumpur?

What's your pick in Kuala Lumpur?

Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:03 am

Picked Shangri-La deluxe with breakfast without club access. Couldn't justify the extra cost because im not a drinker and don't need the business facilities. Would have stayed Traders but the pool is not my cup of tea. Looking forward to compare the two.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:59 am
Suspended

The Anggun!

I have been to Kuala Lumpur few months ago and stayed at the Anggun Kuala Lumpur.

I really liked it, it is located at 7 and 9 Tengkat Tong Shin Road in the capital's Soho district, the Anggun is a short walk from KL's major shopping malls (including two new massive shopping destinations, The Pavilion and Fahrenheit 88). For a quick and authentic dinner fix, the Jalan Alor food-stall street is just next door; get your drink on afterwards in the hip Changkat Bukit Bintang area. The city's LRT and monorail systems offer an easy way to start exploring the city and the Bukit Bintang monorail station is a 10-minute walk away.

The location really made the difference for me. Authentic and delicious Malaysian food is minutes away; the city's best nightlife, within staggering distance. The shopaholic within will be duly fulfilled by the city's highest concentration of malls. The Anggun's unique look and feel is a definite departure from big-chain homogeneity, perfect for the urbanite traveler looking for convenience and charm during their time in Kuala Lumpur.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by joorinainen
Picked Shangri-La deluxe with breakfast without club access. Couldn't justify the extra cost because im not a drinker and don't need the business facilities. Would have stayed Traders but the pool is not my cup of tea. Looking forward to compare the two.
I just finished my stay at the Shangri-La and i have to say that i wasn't impressed. I arrived around 9pm with taxi and there was nobody to help with my luggage. Even the taxi driver laughed and said that is this really the Shangri-la? I wasn't that worried yet. I entered the lobby and the bellboy ran to help me with my luggage. I was smoothly checked-in and offered upgrade to Horizon-Club room which i declined. They would have charged 180MYR/night for this upgrade.

When i arrived to my room i was surprised how small and dark it was. When i put my luggage on the floor(the real space for luggage on the corridor was a joke and more suitable for a lunch box than a real luggage) there were no room to walk around and i had to hop over my luggages to get from bed to bathroom. Wireless wasn't working with the code which was assigned to me at check-in and i had to call the front desk to get a "guestpass". After that it worked flawlessly and fast. Breakfast was nice but it wasn't that special like example the comments in tripadvisor leads you believe. I found my seat(sofa-style) had ripped cushion. I was also surprised when the waiters came to my table two morning in a row to make an announcement that breakfast is going to end in 15 minutes.

On a positive note the staff were very friendly and always there to help you out. One of the best staff i have encountered in my travels. Pool was average but the sunbeds and little cabanas were great and the ice water which they provide for you was a nice touch. There was also a good amount of sun despite the pool being surrounded by high buildings.

Overall, i have mixed feelings about the hotel. Service, location and staff were great but the room i had was surely a disappointment and poor value for the price i paid. Will be interesting to see what St.Regis and The W brings to the table in the future.

Last edited by joorinainen; Jun 8, 2012 at 6:05 am
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA,UA SLV, SPG GLD,Hyatt GP Plat.,National Exec., Hertz Platinum
Jw marriotttt!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by joorinainen
offered upgrade to Horizon-Club room which i declined.
I don't understand. The hotel knew you had reserved a small dark room and offered you an upgrade to a nice room. You declined and now you are unhappy with your choice. How is that the hotels fault?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't understand. The hotel knew you had reserved a small dark room and offered you an upgrade to a nice room. You declined and now you are unhappy with your choice. How is that the hotels fault?
At a Shangri La hotel it will have almost certainly been the offer of an upgrade for a fee, quite common at all of their hotels
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
At a Shangri La hotel it will have almost certainly been the offer of an upgrade for a fee, quite common at all of their hotels
May well be. I have found at most Shangri-La hotels that the Horizon Club however is typically excellent value.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I edited my post. They offered it at 180MYR/night on top of what i paid. Deluxe room which i stayed was 37sqm and horizon club rooms start at 39sqm. Somehow the design of the room made it feel far more smaller than example in Traders.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:10 am

The following properties were great in the late 90s early 2000s, but are now officially tired
- Carcosa Sri Negara
- Palace of the golden horses

That said, I would still do tea at Carcosa, the grounds are stunning.

I honestly think the most comfortable place to stay is the former GHM "The Saujana", located near the old Subang airport. Granted you are no where near city center, but in the suburbs of Subang, its still KL. Its no longer GHM, but still retains some of the service charm + amenities. You'll need a car though to get around.

GHM is building a new property which should open next year. I think that is worth looking at. Located near KLIA.

The MO, SL, RC, these are all business hotels, albeit nice ones. I don't think KL has a true luxury hotel, the way Jakarta has "The Dharmawangsa", which is a true luxury hotel.

Last edited by meFIRST; Jun 10, 2012 at 12:18 am
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:28 am

wait for the GH or raffles, they look exceptionally stunning. My usual haunt is the RC, nice rooms.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:31 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
If you're looking for a private villa with a plunge pool then try The Villas at Sunway. No kids under 12 allowed, quite an oasis despite the nearby theme park.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ozchinois
If you're looking for a private villa with a plunge pool then try The Villas at Sunway. No kids under 12
interesting, thanks. only 17 villas.

do you know if embun/bayu are in upper row ?
how was the pavillion (common area / dining) ?

pavillion info http://www.malaysiahotels.com.my/hot...facilities.htm
lots of pics (lower row) http://www.vkeong.com/2012/01/3d2n-s...sunway-resort/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 13, 2012 at 5:44 pm
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
interesting, thanks. only 17 villas.

do you know if embun/bayu are in upper row?
how was the pavillion?

pavillion info http://www.malaysiahotels.com.my/hot...facilities.htm
lots of pics (lower row) http://www.vkeong.com/2012/01/3d2n-s...sunway-resort/
I stayed in one of the standard villas and thought it was pretty private. Sorry Kagehitokiri, don't know which ones are in the upper row. The pavilions were nice for the price I paid which was about the equivalent of USD$300 per night.

My only gripe was that you have to either walk a long way via the theme park area to get to the villa or get a buggy to take you at the front of Sunway. Cars can't pick you up from the villas.

BTW the service was very good (though not as good as Carcosa under GHM) but I haven't been back for a few years now.

Kage if you're interested in high end Malaysian resorts, Sunway opened Banjaran Hot Springs a couple of hours from KL about 2 years ago. Haven't tried it as I am usually in Malaysia with an entourage.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 5:29 pm

This thread has been really interesting, we are leaning towards MO for our first trip I think. Or the RC...but the pool there looks a bit dark and dismal.
C
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you go for the MO, make sure you get a Club room. It's one of the nicer clubs in the region.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.