Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What's your pick in Kuala Lumpur?

What's your pick in Kuala Lumpur?

Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by nba1017
You make a fair point, but why are you posting it in the Luxury Hotels forum?

This is a place solely devoted to the intricacies of high-end travel--the merits of spending $X on a hotel isn't really its purpose.
I replied to the post in this thread.
The poster was confused about how people can afford to stay in luxury hotels and assumed everybody must be millionaires with personal travel assistants.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I replied to the post in this thread.
The poster was confused about how people can afford to stay in luxury hotels and assumed everybody must be millionaires with personal travel assistants.
I don't think they were confused at all.

I personally don't subscribe to the theory that this forum is about "money no object" as for the vast majority of travellers that is rarely or never the case. My personal interest is luxury hotels in great places at good prices. I understand that these things are all relative, but this is the luxury hotel forum after all.

As for comments about tourists shouldn't be interested in luxury hotels as all they should be doing in the hotel is sleeping etc., you're entitled to your opinion, it certainly doesn't apply to my family. I suspect it comes from what might be a naive view of tourism - I.e. we all want what you want. I've found as I've got older creature comforts are more important to me than say when I was a student many many years ago
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
As for comments about tourists shouldn't be interested in luxury hotels as all they should be doing in the hotel is sleeping etc., you're entitled to your opinion, it certainly doesn't apply to my family.
I did not say that at all. I said, "young single tourist in Asia". The poster I was replying to is on his way to be a young single tourist in Asia.

I understand everybody's situation is different, but I was specifically replying to that gentleman's post.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:02 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I did not say that at all. I said, "young single tourist in Asia". The poster I was replying to is on his way to be a young single tourist in Asia.

I understand everybody's situation is different, but I was specifically replying to that gentleman's post.
Unless the post has been edited I didn't see any reference to the post you were commenting on (a380) which stated that this person was single, young, or even male. So forgive me for assuming that when you made reference to a young single tourist you were referring to yourself.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:10 am
Suspended

Even if you're just sleeping in the hotel, some people want a nice bed in a good part of town. It's a bit ludicrous for you to decide that young, single tourists in Asia shouldn't be staying in nice hotels. I think everyone is entitled to their preferences.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i disagree with some of CrazyInteg's comments, but in their defense, i think they were "confused" in the same way some regulars here were.

not referring to CrazyInteg >
I don't think they were confused at all.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:47 am

Weighing my option for my next stay in KL. Last time i was in KL i enjoyed Traders Hotel very much and it would be my obvious choice also this time if they would have a decent pool with lots of sun.

Which hotel in KL has the best pool? How is the pool at Shangri La? Horizon Club worth the extra euros? Traveling myself and staying for 4nights.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by joorinainen
Weighing my option for my next stay in KL. Last time i was in KL i enjoyed Traders Hotel very much and it would be my obvious choice also this time if they would have a decent pool with lots of sun.

Which hotel in KL has the best pool? How is the pool at Shangri La? Horizon Club worth the extra euros? Traveling myself and staying for 4nights.
Pool at KL-SL is ok, reasonable size IIRC. It has been spruced up a bit since I was last there.

Extra Cost for Horizon Club depends on what they're charging you.

Unlike say HK or Singapore, KL is not an expensive city and drinks in the hotel were reasonably priced (for a 5 star hotel). When I was last there a few years back the upgrade deal was good (50 a night for a club suite, during very low occupancy) and they offered pour your own branded wine and spirits (standard brands, not premium brands). Things may be different now, the club lounge has certainly moved from being near the top of the hotel to down around the mezzanine floor, I believe - so the excellent views are no more.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:42 am

Pool at KL-SL is ok, reasonable size IIRC. It has been spruced up a bit since I was last there.

Extra Cost for Horizon Club depends on what they're charging you.

Unlike say HK or Singapore, KL is not an expensive city and drinks in the hotel were reasonably priced (for a 5 star hotel). When I was last there a few years back the upgrade deal was good (50 a night for a club suite, during very low occupancy) and they offered pour your own branded wine and spirits (standard brands, not premium brands). Things may be different now, the club lounge has certainly moved from being near the top of the hotel to down around the mezzanine floor, I believe - so the excellent views are no more.
Price difference is around 35eur/night with Deluxe King with breakfast and Horizon club exec with breakfast. Horizon club exec rooms seem be almost the same size as Deluxe rooms 37sqm vs 39sqm..

What about other hotels around KL? Any candidates with good pool?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:30 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Price difference is around 35eur/night with Deluxe King with breakfast and Horizon club exec with breakfast. Horizon club exec rooms seem be almost the same size as Deluxe rooms 37sqm vs 39sqm..

MOKL has a decent ' infinity 'pool with a view.
MO here though is definitely not among the top in the group. However, the breakfast spread downstairs as well as in Club lounge are highlights for me, proximity to KLCC & park views.

BTW, Traders does not belong in this forum
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:29 am

35 euros seems reasonable to me. I can't imagine a premium for a proper club floor being much less. The fixtures and fittings in the rooms are usually better, as are toiletries offered (aigner or l'occitane seem to be the shangri la premium offerings)
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:08 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus

The Ritz has two decent pools, however neither get very much sun. You also get a jacuzzi, and a proper sauna which you might like!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:25 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
BTW, Traders does not belong in this forum
Correct. However, my tuppence is that it is the OP's first visit to KL, then a Club Room at Traders with Twin Towers / Petronas Views (they change the room names every couple of years - make sure you book the right views!) will offer a wow factor that perhaps the RC (eaten there but not stayed) and SL (stayed x 2 pre and post renovation) cannot offer.

Club Room's are high up, the views are magical (i'm not aware of any other 4/5* with similar stunning views in KL - please correct me as would love to discover) - and the Sky Bar is a great place to waste a few hours.

Just to re-iterate, Trader's does not fit in this forum, but it's my Pick in KL, and would recommend you consider as on outside bet. Sorry for wasting everyone else's time

Last edited by Sam Bee; Apr 5, 2012 at 4:07 am Reason: spelling.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: Skywards - Silver, *Alliance - Gold | GC - Diamond
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Club Room's are high up, the views are magical (i'm not aware of any other 4/5* with similar stunning views in KL - please correct me as would love to discover) - and the Sky Bar is a great place to waste a few hours.
I agree with Sam Bee...

We stay almost exclusively at the Shangri-la group and have booked: SL-The Marina, Cairns; SL-Jakarta; SL-Rasa Ria and, SL-Tanjung Aru for the coming months but, will stay at Traders, KL in a Traders Club Twin Tower View as the vista cannot be beaten - when we were there in February, we stayed in a Twin Towers Executive... these rooms are 'corner rooms' and have two windows facing in different directions: we didn't even open the curtains on that which wasn't facing the towers!

Cheers ツ

BTW: The view at Traders is possibly matched by SL-Sydney & SL-Paris but, not in cost... also can't wait to get our bums in the new SL-London at The Shard in August 2013.

http://www.shangri-la.com/london/shangrila/pre-opening/

Last edited by Ivanhoe3079; Apr 5, 2012 at 11:13 pm Reason: Insert URL
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've stayed countless times in many hotels in KL, but never the SL for some reason. I love the Club at the MO. It quite large with wrap-around views and a nice pool table in the middle. If I need to be in Sentral, I'll stay at the Le Meridien/Hilton complex.

If you go outside KL to Cyberjaya, there is a stunning Marriott. I don't know what the rooms are like as I've only been for lunch a few times, but the building and lobby are quite impressive.

Lastly, I think the most luxurious property in KL is the Palace of the Golden Horses. I really don't know what it is like these days, but back when it opened in the 90's it was pretty amazing. Lots of heads of state stayed there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.