Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in brussels?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:58 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by grumbler
Brussels still is a bit of a mess for really good places to stay. The Amigo is not perfect and it is overpriced - but location and general experience mean it is still one of the better hotels. I have tried others (Dominican, LeMeridien, etc), and they are not really super either.
"The Hotel" was the former Hilton Brussels, it's something of a landmark and views from the upper floors should be spectacular, before they decided to be an independent hotel, it's newly renovated and very stylish. For many The Amigo, it's a Rocco Forte Hotel remains one of the best hotels in Brussels, the location is outstanding and their Bocconi restaurant is very memorable.

The former Le Meridien is now the Hilton Grand Place and the Dominican is a member of Design Hotels.

I might also recommend the following for luxury in Brussels, this hotel used to be the Conrad Brussels and was recently fully renovated to a very high standard, it remains one of the top hotels in the city with a one of a kind heritage, it's actually located near "The Hotel".

http://www.wiltchers.com/
http://en.steigenberger.com/Brussels...ger-Wiltcher-s

Last edited by uggboy; Oct 26, 2015 at 1:07 pm
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:02 am

We stayed this summer for 5 nights at the Hilton (formerly Le Meridien). We had breakfast due to Hilton Gold and did get to enjoy the lounge for some freebies. Points were used, so we weren't really caring about luxury.

However, as previously stated above, I would not rate this as a luxury hotel. The first room we got (not an upgraded size) was a bit smaller than the room we were able to get the second day. The non-upgraded room was a bit squishy between the bed and the wall/furniture.

We saw the Amigo (Rocco Forte hotel) a few times and even tried to go to dinner there one night. It looked very nice and had a nice location.

The best part of the Hilton is the proximity to the Central Train station. You could run across the circle in about 15 seconds and there you were We took three day trips to Antwerp, Ghent and Bruges and it was most convenient!

We did enjoy our hotel, especially the proximity to the train station and you can't beat the price of free. But I wouldn't spend a lot of money here and have high expectations.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: Some
What are the latest thoughts on the best choice in Brussels? I have a stay coming up next month and slightly shocked by just how limited the choices seem to be.

Hotel Amigo seems like the nicest option (and possibly the only one that comes anywhere near luxury?), but at the same time it looks like I can get a fairly sizable suite at Steigenberger Wiltcher's for not much more than a quite small entry level room at the Hotel Amigo.

Given neither looks incredibly exciting I might be tempted to just save some money and book the Hilton Grand Place or one of the Sofitels instead.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Apr 16, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
What are the latest thoughts on the best choice in Brussels? I have a stay coming up next month and slightly shocked by just how limited the choices seem to be.

Hotel Amigo seems like the nicest option (and possibly the only one that comes anywhere near luxury?), but at the same time it looks like I can get a fairly sizable suite at Steigenberger Wiltcher's for not much more than a quite small entry level room at the Hotel Amigo.

Given neither looks incredibly exciting I might be tempted to just save some money and book the Hilton Grand Place or one of the Sofitels instead.
It's still the Amigo, though it is nothing super special.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by grumbler
It's still the Amigo, though it is nothing super special.
Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 1:27 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I guess nothing has changed in the last two years? I might be having A LOT of nights there in the next 9 months and there really don't seem to be any particularly good luxury, chain or boutique hotels full stop. I'm currently thinking I'll just get an apartment, as at least some of them have been recently fitted.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:46 am

It is extraordinary, isn't it, that a major capital city like Brussels still has no great hotels, or even vaguely acceptable ones. Amigo or nothing....
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
It is extraordinary, isn't it, that a major capital city like Brussels still has no great hotels, or even vaguely acceptable ones. Amigo or nothing....
I don't like the Amigo location so much. My compromise is that at the top of the Pullman in Brussels Zuid, there are two suites, one a bit larger than the other. I insist on the larger one (and don't book otherwise) but it is only about 40sqmt total and is very plastic-y. Do not pay extra for a "breakfast included" rate as the breakfast is largely inedible.

It is really sad to have to settle for that!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Pretty much despite how old the hotel is now and how touristy the location is.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I don't like the Amigo location so much. My compromise is that at the top of the Pullman in Brussels Zuid, there are two suites, one a bit larger than the other. I insist on the larger one (and don't book otherwise) but it is only about 40sqmt total and is very plastic-y. Do not pay extra for a "breakfast included" rate as the breakfast is largely inedible.

It is really sad to have to settle for that!
The Pullman is a halfway acceptable 4* hotel, but I’m not willing to live almost in BXL-Midi station for x months. It would be convenient for the Eurostar for when it gets all a bit much though...

I’ve found an interior designed Penthouse in an aparthotel which might do the trick.
offerendum likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Elite
Amigo is the least bad, definitely stay away from The Dominican

Amigo is still the best option. I was once tempted by a (much) lower price at The Dominican and had a rather disappointing experience which I would not recommend to anyone.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:10 am

We're considering visiting Brussels in mid-May, largely as a hub for day trips to Bruges, Ghent and Antwerp for the art and architecture. From here and elsewhere it appears the Amigo is likely the least bad option. We'd probably go for a junior suite, which seems a reasonable size.

Staying at a number of different hotels would not be an attractive option for us.

Is the room likely to be quiet at night? We tend to be rather sensitive to noise when trying to sleep.

How's the breakfast?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:32 am

In general the Grande Place will be quiet at night so I would not worry too much.

But, especially if you are looking for daytrips, I would consider to stay at either De Witte Lelie in Antwerp or 1898 The Post in Gent. Can easily reach Gent from Antwerp and vice versa. Same for Brussels.

Let me know if you need any further recommendations, I am Belgian.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
is there really nothing better than the amigo in brussels? Not even a boutique? thats kind of frustrating and weird
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
We're considering visiting Brussels in mid-May, largely as a hub for day trips to Bruges, Ghent and Antwerp for the art and architecture. From here and elsewhere it appears the Amigo is likely the least bad option. We'd probably go for a junior suite, which seems a reasonable size.

Staying at a number of different hotels would not be an attractive option for us.

Is the room likely to be quiet at night? We tend to be rather sensitive to noise when trying to sleep.

How's the breakfast?
Have you considered making Ghent your hub and doing daytrips to the 3 other cities from there? Especially if you’re doing the daytrips by public transport I would recommend staying at 1898 The Post, which is just 2 tram stops away from the train station. From there it’s a 30min ride to Bruges, Brussels and Antwerp.

No idea how quiet the rooms are though.

Edit: what Epicura said earlier :-)

Last edited by Passportinonehand; Jan 4, 2020 at 9:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.