Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Should We Consider a Rewrite of the Luxury Forum Description?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should We Consider a Rewrite of the Luxury Forum Description?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by jspira
First, thank you for moving this ahead. ^

Not that I want to sound as if I am against progress, but there is a small but critical flaw in this description as it leaves out the luxury properties such as the Imperial in Vienna (Starwood) and the Park Hyatt in Tokyo - at least insofar as newcomers to the forum reading this description might be concerned.
There is a Starwood Forum and there is a Hyatt Forum which would be appropriate for those properties.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'll echo other posts to say that sometimes we are looking for the best luxury properties in a particular city. Some cities, or countries, do not have "one of the best luxury hotels in the world". But we on Flyertalk can still discuss the best luxury hotels in that place. If the best turns out to be a Marriott, then the OP can be pointed to the Marriott forum. But perhaps the best is a small independent hotel that few of us have heard of.

For example, I made a post yesterday asking about luxury hotels in Bermuda, specifically about the Newstead. That there have been no responses yet points to a need to categorize luxury hotels in Bermuda here. Even though there is no Aman, nor FS.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:08 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Not that I want to sound as if I am against progress, but there is a small but critical flaw in this description as it leaves out the luxury properties such as the Imperial in Vienna (Starwood) and the Park Hyatt in Tokyo - at least insofar as newcomers to the forum reading this description might be concerned.
There is a Starwood Forum and there is a Hyatt Forum which would be appropriate for those properties.
I disagree with this, and think discussion of such properties should remain here. Being interested in luxury hotels, I am not interested in how the Imperial compares to other SPG properties in Vienna, nor how the Park Hyatt Tokyo compares to other Hyatts there. What I am interested in, and what this forum has always provided so well, is a discussion of how the Imperial compares to other luxury hotels in Vienna.

Questions of the intra-chain type will naturally end up in their respective forums, and we can continue to discuss the luxury segment irrespective of chain or brand here as these are essentially different discussions. In a way, it's largely a non-issue as far as I am concerned as it has always worked well, and as long as we don't specifically create an exclusion for luxury hotels that happen to be part of chains like SPG or Hyatt, I see no reason why it shouldn't continue to work well.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
I interim-ly add my vote to this:

Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as the very best independently-owned hotels in locations around the world.

--it's good to give some examples because it helps define what is meant by luxury; --the term "such as" is not exclusive and does not disqualify certain Park Hyatts, R-Cs and a great many other hotels.

In fact, as numerous threads attest, there is no agreed definition of "luxury hotel," hence so much discussion about particular qualifications, particular cases, and particular (civil) disagreements. Actually I hope we continue to have a lot of comments along the lines of "Hotel XXX is the best choice you have in Podunckville but it's not a true luxury hotel..." because those comments are useful. I don't think the description proposed here will or should exclude discussion of what many will consider merely near-luxury (call it the 2% demographic).

--very minor point: "in locations" is tautological; I know of no hotels not in one location or another .
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A1
Originally Posted by Ericka
Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Aman, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Ritz Carlton, as well as exceptional boutique hotels.
supported by >
1 FlyerEC

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
^ I'm with both of you too
A2
Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Aman, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Carlton and truly exceptional boutique hotels
A3
Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as the very best independently-owned hotels in locations around the world.
supported by >
1 paul2
2 MikeFromTokyo
3 vuittonsofstyle
4 Ericka
5 Larkin
6 taipeipeter
+ 1 above = 7

Originally Posted by paul2
Ericka, the above description is good in my opinion.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Ericka, I agree this is an excellent description. ^
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
This is the one that, for me, best sums up what the Luxury Hotels Forum deals with. Can we please use this!
I still lean toward a few specific examples
Originally Posted by Larkin
As someone new to this forum I agree
Originally Posted by taipeipeter
I interim-ly add my vote
A4
Discussion regarding the very best luxury hotels in locations around the world. These may include Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as independently-owned hotels.
A5
Discussion regarding the very best hotels in a given location. These may include, but are not limited to, Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as independently-owned hotels
A0
Originally Posted by blueline7
Discussion of the best hotels throughout the world, including Four Seasons, Aman, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Carlton, and other exceptional hotels.
A00
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Discussion regarding the very best luxury hotels in locations around the world (including chains like Four Seasons as well as independent hotels).
B1
Discussion regarding the very best luxury hotels in locations around the world.
supported by >
1 speedbird001
2 emma69

Originally Posted by speedbird001
That's exactly what I am saying.
Originally Posted by emma69
I think I like the short and sweet version
B2
Originally Posted by luxury
Discussion regarding the very best luxury properties around the world
supported by >
1 luxury (moderator)
2 jspira
3 nba1017
4 obscure2k (moderator)
5 bearbrick
6 Musken
7 IncyWincy
8 Kettering Northants QC
+ 2 above = 10

I am quite happy with this and feel it best matches the forum and the discussions therein.
Originally Posted by nba1017
Agreed.
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Excellent!^
Originally Posted by bearbrick
Just right !
^
Originally Posted by Musken
I like this as well.
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Yes, support this title
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
I'm with the small group that would prefer not to see specific brands 'promoted'.
C1
Rough idea

A forum to discuss and debate the very top rung of luxury hotels around the world - be they small inns, converted palaces, plush large city hotels or modern beach resorts - if they're the VERY best and a genuine contender for the top 100 in the world then discuss them here
C2
i'll try and reword my original rough idea

Interested in the very best luxury hotels around the world? Small inns, converted palaces, plush large city hotels or modern beach resorts - if they're genuine contenders for the top 100 in the world then discuss them here

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:02 pm

I have said this before but it's worth repeating. This forum should not be dictated by brand or by chain but rather what is the absolute best hotel in a given city or a region. For example, in Phnomh Penh the best hotel might be the Sofitel and that information should not be in the Sofitel (Acor) forum. In Tel Aviv, the best hotel is the Hilton (Unfortunatly) and that information should not be relegated to the Hilton section but should remain in Luxury Hotels under i.e. "Best Hotel in Tel Aviv". Limiting it to high end chains will eliminate some of the best hotels in certain cities, worldwide.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
It would appear that B2 has the most support.

Nice summary.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at luxury's request, i have done a recap of the thread
technically, he only asked for the different description proposals that were posted
i believe he is planning to do an actual poll post, where people can actually vote

so if you want additional description proposals, now is the time to post them

i think this will remain my only comment >
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
should there be anything in the description that says that the major chain hotels all have their own forums?
My gut says no
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
agree

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:03 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
This forum should not be dictated by brand or by chain but rather what is the absolute best hotel in a given city or a region. For example, in Phnomh Penh the best hotel might be the Sofitel and that information should not be in the Sofitel (Acor) forum. In Tel Aviv, the best hotel is the Hilton (Unfortunatly) and that information should not be relegated to the Hilton section but should remain in Luxury Hotels under i.e. "Best Hotel in Tel Aviv". Limiting it to high end chains will eliminate some of the best hotels in certain cities, worldwide.
I absolutely agree with you. But how do we say it and NOT allow people to make up their own definitions of luxury? If we could figure that out, we might come up with the perfect description. To me, terms like "the best" and "luxury" are too vague. I know what you want. I just wish I could figure out how to write it.

Discussion regarding the very best luxury hotels in locations around the world. These may include Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as independently-owned hotels.

I'd rather not call out Hilton, etc. as I think that would be confusing to the Hilton forum. I'd rather allow people to come to that conclusion on their own.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it seems to me that the description with no examples is being interpreted differently by different people

IMHO is is NOT location centric, which is what some people (including in list of supporters of no example description) have discussed at length - in other words a location centric description has yet to be proposed

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I absolutely agree with you. But how do we say it and NOT allow people to make up their own definitions of luxury
We have been doing fairly well so far in self policing... I do not see a problem in not defining this further.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:38 am
Original Poster

We have been doing fairly well so far in self policing... I do not see a problem in not defining this further.
But isn't that the point? To reduce the need for "self policing"? I began this thread saying I felt badly for people who wandered into the luxury forum in error.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Can we scrub 'in locations around the world'? Purely because, on my MyFlyerTalk page, the description now takes up 4 lines of text and increases the size of the box considerably.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 6:05 am

Note to Ericka- At the end of the day; aren't we really asking "What is the absolultly top hotel(s) in a given city?" Isn't that what everyone wants to know. It needs to be relative to the city. If the Kamp in Helsinki is the number one hotel; doesn't it belong in our forum even though it is a Starwood? If you don't allow that, you will be missing key information. Then it is the moderators job to determine if it doesn't belong.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Note to Ericka- At the end of the day; aren't we really asking "What is the absolultly top hotel(s) in a given city?" Isn't that what everyone wants to know. It needs to be relative to the city. If the Kamp in Helsinki is the number one hotel; doesn't it belong in our forum even though it is a Starwood? If you don't allow that, you will be missing key information. Then it is the moderators job to determine if it doesn't belong.
Yes and Yes.

Discussion regarding the very best hotels in a given location. These may include, but are not limited to, Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as independently-owned hotels.

?????? This is getting very long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.