Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You can't count on a wake up call

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

You can't count on a wake up call

I'm doing a hotel project of staying in over 500 of the world's best hotels and quite often I have ordered a wake up call. As hotel number 3 in the project already missed my wake up call I decided to found out: Can you really count on a wake up call or should you always set your own alarm? Answer is: No and yes. You can't count on a wake up call in a luxury hotel and you will always have to set your own alarm clock.

This morning I reached 200 hotels where I've ordered a wake up call. 9 have missed my wake up call with more than 15 minutes and 3 didn't even call.

Details is very important for me and a wake up is very important. Imagine missing an international flight. I never did. I often set my own alarm, but I'm sure some people don't and it can become a real nightmare.

I hope this small article and statistic is interesting and it's definately a must to set your own alarm clock even if you stay in the world's best hotel.. because:

The only time I missed breakfast was in Oberoi Amarvilas (consider one of the vest bests), no call at all. Ordered 8 AM, woke up at 11:30. (I got to see Taj Mahal for free as compensation)

I should bring a debate into this...

Do you trust a wake up call? or do you always set your own alarm as well?

And finally: Did this article/statistic change your opinion about wake up calls?

And absolutely finally: Always order a wake up call, because if they miss it they become the biggest sweethearts...

Kindest regards,
Henrik
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Amen. The most despicable behavior I have ever encountered at a hotel was at the Hotel de Paris in Monte Carlo...

I confirmed several times that they would give me a wakeup call, as I needed to catch a flight the next morning. When I finally woke up (on my own volition) it was almost 2 hours after the scheduled wake-up call should have come. Not only did they FAIL to call me, but when my driver arrived and insisted several times that they call up to the room and inform me that he was there, the hotel REFUSED to ring my room. I threw my belongings into my suitcase, ran down stairs and thankfully checked my bill. They had attempted to tack on a 3,500 euro dinner at Louis XV (which I didn't visit on this stay), hoping i'm sure that in my haste to rush to NCE I wouldn't notice. Thanks to a top effort from my driver I barely made my flight, but I will never stay at that hotel again. Disgusting staff, disgusting people.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by henrikfromdenmark
Do you trust a wake up call? or do you always set your own alarm as well?
I'm a bit paranoid about wake-up calls when I have to catch a flight. So I always set my own alarm clock as well. But in all honesty, I can't remember the last time that a hotel wake-up call didn't work.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
I'm a bit paranoid about wake-up calls when I have to catch a flight. So I always set my own alarm clock as well. But in all honesty, I can't remember the last time that a hotel wake-up call didn't work.
My statistic says they will do 95.5% of the time so there will be a lot of people here who might always have recieved a wake up call. The problem is many people count on it. - In general a lot of people think the luxury hotel industry is perfect or close to perfection. Mistake happens everyday. Lots of mistakes. In the very best hotels. It's "kind-of" my job to find these mistakes and another statistic could be the milk in the breakfast buffet. How many times is it actually comfortable cold. Or when can a room really be considered clean. Anyway, i'm looking forward to hear more comments from people regarding wake up calls. I think this is a very interesting topic, especially because the ones that have really missed my wake up calls have been some of the very bests hotels.

The other comment says Hotel de Paris in Monaco, which can be considered in that category as well.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:38 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

If I have to wake up at a certain time, I will order a wake-up call, but only as a back up in case my own alarm does not work. I set two alarms at home as well in such circumstances. I would not trust anyone, also not a luxury hotel.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Four:
  1. Wakeup call
  2. Alarm clock (or clock radio)
  3. Cell phone
  4. Hang tag on the door with breakfast delivery time

I can't tell you how many times I've been awakened to banging on the door: "Room service."
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Originally Posted by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime
Four:
  1. Wakeup call
  2. Alarm clock (or clock radio)
  3. Cell phone
  4. Hang tag on the door with breakfast delivery time

I can't tell you how many times I've been awakened to banging on the door: "Room service."
I always do 1-3. My #4 is to have my wife call me, which works well when the time difference means it's mid-day for her and crack of dawn for me. But your #4 is really smart and will be adopted forthwith.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This morning I reached 200 hotels where I've ordered a wake up call. 9 [4.5%] have missed my wake up call with more than 15 minutes and 3 [1.5%] didn't even call.

Oberoi Amarvilas...no call [+2 others]
good statistics. how much more than 15 minutes?

Originally Posted by nba1017
If housekeeping knocks or calls my room during this time period and I have the DND out, I speak to a manager and point blank tell him or her I will not be paying the night's rate.
seems to me wakeup calls could be a similar issue, although not as serious, because its about doing something, rather than not doing something.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Hotel de Paris in Monte Carlo...

I confirmed several times that they would give me a wakeup call, as I needed to catch a flight the next morning. When I finally woke up (on my own volition) it was almost 2 hours after the scheduled wake-up call should have come. Not only did they FAIL to call me, but when my driver arrived and insisted several times that they call up to the room and inform me that he was there, the hotel REFUSED to ring my room. I threw my belongings into my suitcase, ran down stairs and thankfully checked my bill. They had attempted to tack on a 3,500 euro dinner at Louis XV (which I didn't visit on this stay), hoping i'm sure that in my haste to rush to NCE I wouldn't notice.
refusing to ring the room? and that kind of fake charge? seems to have rapidly compounded into pretty serious issue.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 8, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Old Oct 27, 2011, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

refusing to ring the room? and that kind of fake charge? seems to have rapidly compounded into pretty serious issue.
Exactly. I took one look at the bill, said "I didn't eat at Louis XV," and they took the bill back and printed me a new copy without a word as if they knew it was BS but were hoping I wouldn't check. I didn't have time to demand a manager/argue with them because I was so late due to their interference that it's a miracle I made my flight. As I said, I will not be back to that run down dump of a hotel with disgusting staff.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
they took the bill back and printed me a new copy without a word as if they knew it was BS but were hoping I wouldn't check. I didn't have time to demand a manager/argue with them
theres always credit card dispute as well, but with that or at hotel, i wonder about ramifications of monaco government owning 70%.

metropole is independently owned.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 5:54 pm

Got the extra mile type of wake up call at De l'Europe in Amsterdam this summer : went back at 4am after a long night of partying with my best friend and asked for a wake up call at 9 am to be able to visit the Rijksjemuseum. Of course, the night being short and being a heavy sleeper, did not even hear a sound a 9 am when the phone rang. At 9.05 am the bellman was knocking at my door, checking if we were okay and asking if dark coffee would be of any use.
I was surprised but very happy and just for that kind of touch, i'll be back there early november !
Old Oct 27, 2011, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincentb89
De l'Europe in Amsterdam...9 am when the phone rang. At 9.05 am the bellman was knocking at my door, checking if we were okay and asking if dark coffee would be of any use...
good stuff. (although there is a balance, re being at door.) i presume there are some good FS/aman stories.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 8, 2013 at 9:16 pm
Old Oct 27, 2011, 6:42 pm

good stuff. i presume there are some good FS/aman stories.
service was really personal. The ratio guest / staff was impressive, mainly due to the fact that it was the soft opening ( 5 days after official reopening) and that the hotel seemed really empty
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

good statistics. how much more than 15 minutes? .
It depends. 20-120 minutes. And then the 3 that never called.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20-120 minutes
equal distribution? 15 minutes doesnt seem too bad, but not sure what the line is. its almost more odd to be (considerably) late than not at all.

188 - <15 min?
9 - 15>120 min
3 - none

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 28, 2011 at 4:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.