Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotel Marketing loses sight of reality?

Luxury Hotel Marketing loses sight of reality?

Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

reduced room information to emphasize/add nonroom stuff - 2 examples >

http://www.preview.fourseasons.com/m...lla_with_pool/
http://web.archive.org/web/201008110...lla_with_pool/

http://www.preview.fourseasons.com/s...bedroom_villa/
http://web.archive.org/web/201007291...bedroom_villa/

.com/pdfs/[hotel]/meetings/hotel_facts/quick_reference_guide.pdf (format for reference)

edit - and now theyve started taking down info they HAD on the new website - offer starting rates

theyve also never had dates for offers?

not sure they always have min stay either

heh - kiwi collection advertisement with picture of the top villa at laucala >
expert advice
exclusive perks
insider deals
special offers on luxury hotels
view offers
latter four not available for laucala (giving them benefit of doubt on "expert advice")
top villa is €18K-€26K/nt
base rate is €3.3K/nt
on kiwi only north and fregate are more expensive
only 1 other hotel besides those 3 is above $4K/nt (in the world)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 22, 2012 at 9:28 am
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:37 am
Original Poster

The FS website

I don't HATE it, but I do find it irritating having to scroll down to find what I'm looking for. If I wanted to read a magazine, I would. When I go to a hotel website, I want info not chit-chat, and what's with the Trip Advisor quotes? Bit downmarket, no?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I don't HATE it, but I do find it irritating having to scroll down to find what I'm looking for. If I wanted to read a magazine, I would. When I go to a hotel website, I want info not chit-chat, and what's with the Trip Advisor quotes? Bit downmarket, no?

i tend to agree with you regarding the majority of the website's content. it appears magazine-like, with stories and many, many pictures, large pictures that not only feature elements of the hotel in question but photos of the area...and some, a wide area at that. personally, i like clean, white space on the screen, before the scroll. so in comparison to the old website, the new one tends to be much too cluttered, offering information both data and photography that is unnecessary. btw, some of the larger photos aren't coming across my screen high quality, crisp and clear, leaving a less than stellar impression.
why would fs incorporate the ta link on their website? well, i was shocked to see it there too. ta is a powerful force, http://urbanland.uli.org/Articles/20.../KruegerHotels
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:18 am

I still, for the most part, hate the new FS website. The one thing I do like about it is the improved photography that shows some of the properties in greater detail.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Four Seasons appear to be embracing the media-bite style in everything they do. I really miss the fact that they are no longer doing room directories, but expect you to turn the TV on to find out what time breakfast starts! Unlike some, I don't turn the TV on until after dinner, if at all.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:07 pm

Four Seasons appear to be embracing the media-bite style in everything they do. I really miss the fact that they are no longer doing room directories, but expect you to turn the TV on to find out what time breakfast starts! Unlike some, I don't turn the TV on until after dinner, if at all.
It sounds like FS is trying to be "cool", if that makes sense.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
It sounds like FS is trying to be "cool", if that makes sense.
'cool' at the risk of brand demotion.
with respect to fb, twitter and the new website's inclusion of the trip advisor link...
adding more specialized digital media, social media and seo (search engine op.) has to be monitored and vetted.
i'm a veteran fs loyalist and would love to find out what their marketing strategy is with regard to attracting a new demographic.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
I take back all my criticisms of the new FS, as I've just been to the new Wynn Las Vegas website. Now that is a bad website. I've tried it in Safari (Bad) and IE (even worse). Looks like a school project and doesn't work.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Just saw this on a hotel website. It could be the most pretentious Philosophy statement ever!

THE SPIRIT OF NIRA IS BORN OUT OF OUR BELIEF THAT TODAY’S DISCERNING GUESTS SEEK A MORE AUTHENTIC, EXCEPTIONAL EXPERIENCE

Nira conjures a modern idiom of luxury, born from the pursuit of excellence and a belief that perfection is only the foundation that we build on. To us, pleasure is not a state of being; it is the primordial purpose of the soul. We believe that exquisite travel and dining experiences are no longer dependant on superficial glamour and regimented operating procedures. There is a place for eclectic design and ever-so-subtle eroticism.

Increasingly, guests are looking for a sense of sincerity and integrity, with service that comes straight from the heart. To us, true hospitality is about ‘your way’, a touch of our hand and the passion that binds the two. It is about the creation of hedonistic havens, where all manner of whims and desires are indulged.

We favour a natural approach to hospitality, based on understanding, warm-heartedness and the occasional need for a place of sanctuary. Where abundant stimulation and relentless distraction has become intrinsic to many lives, the true luxury we offer is time and space. This more sensitive attitude to running hotels, resorts and restaurants stems from our spiritual and compassionate roots, born out of Asia.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and the only reason to read is their unintentional entertainment value

but id rather reread this >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post17723798
Originally Posted by blueline7
Okay, so what is the story with Aman? I had heard about Aman, knew that they were very exclusive and expensive, but could not understand why there was a phenomenon called an "Aman Junkie", i.e. someone who just cannot get enough Aman...What was all the fuss about? Are they so good? What about how I had read that Amandari had dated decor, or that it was a second-rate Aman compared to Amankila? Would I be thoroughly pissed off having paid for Aman and found myself living in some sort of minimalist treehouse in the jungle? Was this an "acquired taste" for people wanting understated elegance rather than luxury? Would I just be too pedestrian for an Aman resort? How did Aman compare to other luxury properties? Could I possibly become an Amanjunkie? Would I sense the "spirit or Aman" as others claim to have? These were my questions prior to booking Aman....And I got answers to all of these questions and more. I cracked the Aman code, and figured out what is going on here....and I intend to expose it to the world and to FT, right now.....

some places that one simply cannot adequately describe in words or pictures. Absent are the sounds, the smells, the temperature, and the interactions with people and the environment. But most importantly, some places, such as Amandari, do in fact have a spirit, or vibe, that is unique and palatable and which cannot be adequately conveyed. That is perhaps one reason why I had been unable to discern, no matter how much I researched, what exactly made Amandari supposedly such a special and desirable place, and this is also the reason why I too will be unsuccessful in conveying precisely what makes Amandari one of the most special, idyllic, and luxurious (in the truest sense) places in the world.

One cannot help but wonder what inspired someone to create this, as it is must be man-made despite all the hallmarks of a divine and other-worldly creation. Who was it that conceived of this unique place? How did they arrive at the details that make this place so unique? How could they know in advance that this would work this way? These questions remain unanswered, but one rather not know, and keep the allure and riddle of Amandari present in one's experiences there.
Ah, but Aman does not talk about its spiritual side - it does not go out there and market it or use convoluted phrases to entice you to try it - Aman just DOES IT!
OTOH, everyone can make mistakes
Originally Posted by limelight
A tranquil breeze streaks cirrus across a cerulean sky above a warming beach that waits eternal, cradling pristine sand in its endless crescents as gentle laps of glassy blue rise back and forth in sweet caress. Amanyara sits blessed beside, taking nature’s timeless gifts within her island stride; resting open to the elements within her lines of eclectic tropical build she thanks her lucky stars, for nature has afforded her the greatest gift of all: an unspoilt location. It is here, beside Atlantic alabaster, on a sea of vivid turquoise, that Amanyara savours her exquisite pleasures.
limelight posted nov 27 2007

original oct 7 2007 > dec 18 2008
http://web.archive.org/web/200710122...me.aspx?id=466
http://web.archive.org/web/200812180...yara/home.aspx

current jan 23 2009
http://web.archive.org/web/200901231...me.aspx?id=466
http://web.archive.org/web/200902071...yara/home.aspx

sure took them a long time to change

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 22, 2012 at 11:14 am
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Ah, but Aman does not talk about its spiritual side - it does not go out there and market it or use convoluted phrases to entice you to try it - Aman just DOES IT!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
How about the opening "moon is showing" clip on the home page of www.crillon.com. Just eliminated any desire I might have had to stay.
Old May 22, 2012, 6:50 am

How do you guys find the "like this photo if you wish you were here" marketing done on Facebook by Four Seasons and Shangri-la?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I personally can't stand it. I feel it cheapens the brands and actually targets a market which is not the kind that they actually hope to entice. The kind of comments also seem quite telling that it's completely aspirational.

I just wish they'd be more discreet and let the superiority of their excellent properties speak for themselves.
Old May 22, 2012, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by albertherrera
How do you guys find the "like this photo if you wish you were here" marketing done on Facebook by Four Seasons and Shangri-la?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I personally can't stand it. I feel it cheapens the brands and actually targets a market which is not the kind that they actually hope to entice. The kind of comments also seem quite telling that it's completely aspirational.

I just wish they'd be more discreet and let the superiority of their excellent properties speak for themselves.
I agree entirely. Social media has a lot to answer for, and like you I wonder how many genuine target audience guests this type of thing reaches. Aspiring C2s?
Old May 22, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
I agree entirely. Social media has a lot to answer for, and like you I wonder how many genuine target audience guests this type of thing reaches. Aspiring C2s?
Remember that the college students of today will be the NRS A's and B's of the future. Perhaps the Four Seasons gains a handful of future guests because of these advertising efforts which are basically free. The question is what's the downside of this advertisement? It isn't like the Four Seasons Seychelles is going to be packed with non-guests trying to sneak into the pool or a bunch of college kids are going to start showing up to have $20 cocktails at the FS NY bar making the places too crowded for guests.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.