Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotel Marketing loses sight of reality?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotel Marketing loses sight of reality?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ppnyc108
most of these super wealthy people will never stay in hotels...real money will never stay in this type of hotels
for example >
1. expensive hotel accommodation
2. Elite Traveler research
3. Saudis - ive heard about. i saw some (first hand) choose nonluxury hotel because of GM.

residences >
- can be banned (prompted aurelio lech for example)
- can be limited in number
- can have rentals banned (and even limit unaccompanied guests)
- can have lengthy minimum rental
- hotels can have them

edit >
+ speaking of security, thats another example - control of surroundings (neighbors and "depth") and physical security of public places versus private
+ location - proximity to shopping, dining, meetings, etc
+ entourage, space, etc (booking entire floors)
One recent international party of guests at the Waldorf Towers, which sits atop the legendary Waldorf-Astoria in New York, reserved more than 150 rooms for several months for a member's medical care. The first night, they spent $10,000 on ironing, says Matt Zolbe, director of sales and marketing at the Waldorf-Astoria.
presumably in the form of apartments with connecting rooms.
wonder what medical center.
for lenox hill, carlyle apartments and new mark residences would be great.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 9, 2011 at 10:00 am
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: OZ gold, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
for example >
1. expensive hotel accommodation
2. Elite Traveler research
3. re Saudis, ive heard about and seen first hand

residences >
- can be banned (prompted aurelio lech for example)
- can be limited in number
- can have rentals banned (and even limit unaccompanied guests)
- can have lengthy minimum rental
- hotels can have them
as I said, this is my own view and own experience. You might be correct on Saudi, and last time I met royal families of Saudi, they were staying in a Hotel(due to the security reason, they didn't tell us which hotel and they were in town for UN function). They do not have a residence in NYC, I think.

I am just saying, some people I have met will not stay in hotels. I am sorry that I made such a huge, general statement but as I said, this is based on my own personal experience and what they told me.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:33 pm
Company Representative, AirSpace Lounges

--------
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
]
I have a little to add to this. Advertising for luxury brands is not targeted to those of us that actually can afford it. It is targeted to those that someday will be able to afford it. It is an attempt to create the dream. Reality is not a constraint. This is why advertisers are most interested in the twenty-somethings. Few people in their twenties can afford a suite at the FS in Seattle.
Oh So that's why I pay attention to those Singapore Airlines Suites ads in the magazines :O I'm not sure if I'll be ever be able to afford them though
Old Oct 29, 2011, 5:36 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
...I always consider myself lower middle class and yes I can afford to buy LV, Gucci, Prada( although my personal favorite labels are AF.Vandevost, Ann Demulemeester, or French Couturier like Azzedine Alaia, and Japanese designers such as Undercover and Yohji Yamamoto, lately I am into Raf Simons for Jil Sander and you will see me wearing Martin Margiela all the time) and stay in FC, MO, and etc. ...
Trust me: assuming these items are paid for, you may not be "rich", but the label "lower middle class" definitely doesn't fit.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ suites are now $2K on HKG>SIN.

Originally Posted by taipeipeter
Trust me: assuming these items are paid for, you may not be "rich", but the label "lower middle class" definitely doesn't fit.
one can spend discretionary income instead of saving. (my comment on the japanese market.)

while it seems to me aspirational market (dead) was based on debt. (also dead)

and they said they are "lower middle class" in NYC.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 29, 2011 at 9:42 am
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by taipeipeter
I was confused by that statement too.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:39 pm

SQ suites are now $2K on HKG>SIN.
I didn't know that; not living in Asia I had only checked trans pacific prices.

So if I ever end up using that route it will be thanks to marketing.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
Interestingly, the man in the ad does appear to be around 50, ie the right demographic for a luxury hotel. Unfortunately, the ad shows him with a woman who is at best 35 ....
My girlfriend is 10 years younger than me. So with all the creams she puts on her face she will be at least 15 years younger when I am 50.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 6:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I don't think these passengers can be assumed to be living off of `very wealthy` parents- it's just business class and trans-pacific flights are very long, so many people from all kinds of demographics choose to fly in J to increase their comfort on long flights.

Designer handbags or luggage- especially of the variety with conspicuous logos- say very little about wealth in Asia.
I did not claim that I had actual passenger demographics of premium CX passengers. Nor did I state that my general observations was intended to encompass all passenger types flying CX F and C.

And while handbags and luggage with consipicuous logos may not be definitively indicative of a person's wealth, there is some correlation if the article is genuine.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Also, I'm curious as to how a passenger on an airplane would appear to 'not have a job'.
That was my general, casual, observation of a few remarkable passenger types. Certainly, I didn't ask these passengers if that was the case. If it my observation was true, that's great for them. No negative stigma intended.

I didn't know my observations would cause so much rancor

Last edited by francophile; Nov 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by francophile
there is some correlation if the article is genuine
not in japan/china.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:46 pm

Aspirational marketing is fine, but RC needs to bone up on the basics. I recently stayed at the RC Laguna Niguel and it took 3 tries to get my bed made up in sheets and blankets instead of a duvet. I was served boiling hot soup in a broken plastic container in the coffee shop; it spilled on my suit. The waitstaff in the main restaurant at lunchtime was surly and hostile.

FS would never do this! Nor would RC a few years back.

The building and coastal setting are still magnificent, of course.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
as I said, this is my own view and own experience. You might be correct on Saudi, and last time I met royal families of Saudi, they were staying in a Hotel(due to the security reason, they didn't tell us which hotel and they were in town for UN function). They do not have a residence in NYC, I think.

I am just saying, some people I have met will not stay in hotels. I am sorry that I made such a huge, general statement but as I said, this is based on my own personal experience and what they told me.
It doesn't matter. For most luxury hotels that we are talking about here (yes, that includes Aman), they may happily entertain a billionaire who takes a floor for a week - but the bread and butter are really people who are very well off (but not plutocrats) and, depending where the hotels are, businesspeople. The hotels may quietly (or loudly) mention the fact that the Sultan of Brunei stayed in the Royal Suite for a week in high season, but they are relying on run of the mill people like bankers and their families to keep their executive suites and better rooms full for the rest. Hublot wearers are the ideal demographic for them.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
deleted

Last edited by schriste; Nov 13, 2011 at 9:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grumbler
The hotels may quietly (or loudly) mention the fact that the Sultan of Brunei stayed in the Royal Suite for a week in high season, but they are relying on run of the mill people like bankers and their families to keep their executive suites and better rooms full for the rest.
some interesting numbers for FS NY >
one floor down, there are eight units whose combined revenue is less than that of the two Presidential suites--even accounting for the higher occupancy rates of the smaller rooms.
52nd - 1 penthouse ($35K)
51st - 2 presidential ($18K)
50th - 2 studio suites ($3550 > $3700) + 6 tower rooms ($1350 > $1615)
roughly, 44% occupancy of 2 beats 100% occupancy of 8.

$35K penthouse >
occupied about 25% of the year...guests are usually billionaire businessmen traveling with their significant others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
50% occupancy for that suite, back when I last stayed at FS NY
hotel >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...s-trouble.html
july 2007 > june 2008 $30.6mm / 72%
july 2008 > june 2009 $14.7mm / 58%
(cash flow / occupancy)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 10, 2011 at 11:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.