Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Trip Report--Shangri-La Tokyo Horizon Club Deluxe Bay View

Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo

Map| 3 Reviews | 33% Recommended

Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo

Marunouchi Trust Tower Main Tokyo, JP 100-8283

Trip Report--Shangri-La Tokyo Horizon Club Deluxe Bay View (0 Photo)

Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo

When I realized I needed to make a quick 3 night trip to Tokyo my first thought was The Peninsula as I have always had great experiences with their properties; especially Bangkok. However, after a bit of research and a couple of emails to DavidO I decided to give the Shangri-La a try. When booking properties that offer club level I always opt for it, and this trip was no different. I booked a Horizon Club Deluxe room, and DavidO was able to secure a guaranteed upgrade to a Horizon Club Deluxe Bay View room.

Arrival and Check-in

Arriving at Narita at 4:00 PM on a Friday afternoon means the limo bus is out, unless you want to spend 2 or 3 hours in rush hour traffic making your way to downtown Tokyo. I took the Narita Express and was at Tokyo station in about an hour. The only downside was that it was brutally hot in the train stations due to energy conservation and lack of air-conditioning on a 92 degree day! By the time I walked from the station to the Shangri-La I was pretty well soaked! Fortunately the bellman saw me coming and after taking my luggage immediately gave me a cold bottle of water and a small hand towel for my elevator ride up to the lobby. When the doors opened I was met by one of the reception staff and led to another set of elevators and finally my room on the 37th floor, just down the hall from the Horizon Club. A fresh fruit plate, ice cold bottled water, a welcome letter and a small gift were all waiting on the desk. Check-in was swift and professional and my luggage was delivered promptly. Just prior to leaving the assistant mentioned the club was till serving cocktails if I was interested. Nice touch

Room

The Horizon Club Deluxe Bay View room is listed at 538 sqft. and having been to Tokyo previously and stayed at the Park Hyatt I was prepared for a comparatively small room. While well designed and thoughtfully laid out, the room still seemed a tight to me. The pictures on the Shangri-La website make the room appear more spacious than it really is. Aside from that, everything was done to a high standard. Big flat screen TV, Bose stereo, large glassed-in rain shower and tub with privacy shade, LOccitane products, separate TV adjacent to the vanity, great bed and linens, bedside controls similar to The Peninsula, and of course a high-tech toilet seat!

Horizon Club Lounge

Like everything in the hotel, the lounge is classy, comfortable and beautifully furnished. Tables and chairs are set up near the windows and offer an excellent view of Tokyo out towards the bay. Separate couches and tables allow seating for slightly larger groups, two computers are available for guests, and theres a small conference room for meetings. During breakfast and cocktail hour a small self-serve buffet is set up at one end of the room. This is where things were disappointing Breakfast offered the usual continental style fare, along with a limited made to order menu, that while well done, seemed uninspired. Evening hors doeuvres were just plain boring, and Im not picky or hard to please: small cheese selection, California rolls, a meatball concoction, nuts, an odd pate offering, etc. Glaringly absent was any real sushi or sashimi option? The Ritz-Carlton Marina del Ray does it better; Im not kidding. The drink selection was top shelf as expected, and a small selection of wine and Champagne were available. Service was excellent.

Restaurants

With all the dining options in Tokyo, I never had dinner at the hotel. I was told by another guest that he had an excellent meal at Piacere.

Health Club & Pool

Top quality equipment in a fairly small space with a view of the pool, and beyond that the Tokyo skyline and Imperial Palace. The pool itself is long and relatively narrow; good for a few laps and a great view! I didnt use the Spa.

Staff

The strong point of the hotel Everyone I encountered seemed genuinely happy to be there, addressed me by name when appropriate, and excelled at their job. None of the coolness I encountered at the Park Hyatt.

Conclusion

This is a tough one for me because I was so impressed with the staff. You can tell theyre proud of their property and they work hard to impress. I should have booked a Horizon Club Premier room; the corner location, the extra windows and additional square footage make a big difference. So thats on me. However, the Horizon Club Lounge food offerings just didnt measure up. With the premium you pay I expected more. And thats definitely on them. Based on a few conversations I overheard, I wasnt the only one who felt let down. I gave myself a few days to think about my stay, and for me the bottom line is this I went in really wanting to like the Shangri-La and in most ways it measured up. However unlike other comparable places Ive stayed, I just dont feel wowed and compelled to return.

Trip Report--Shangri-La Tokyo Horizon Club Deluxe Bay View

Would you like to write a review on the Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Nice review. ^

Not to start a debate but I have stayed at this hotel and think this is currently the nicest hotel in Tokyo in terms of room quality and service. I have stayed also stayed at the Pen, FS, RC and Conrad. But some key difference between my stay and yours. I booked a Premier room which is far more spacious and it's a corner room, so there's a wrap around view and also help to make the room feel even larger. I also tried the restaurant ( Nadaman ) and found the Teppanyaki course to be excellent.

I didn't booked the Horizon Club floor and your review seems to confirm to me that most hotel club lounges in Tokyo isn't as impressive as others in Asia, esp in the "value for money" department, with small servings and lack of food variety, ie not worth it. I'v stayed at a club floor at RC Tokyo once and was annoyed when their Breakfast at club lounge didn't even have a egg station for omelet and no hot stuff except bread toast. The club lounge at the Conrad is better but also underwhelming.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BENLEE
I didn't booked the Horizon Club floor and your review seems to confirm to me that most hotel club lounges in Tokyo isn't as impressive as others in Asia, esp in the "value for money" department, with small servings and lack of food variety, ie not worth it.
My only other experience in Tokyo is at the Park Hyatt, and of course they don't offer a club level. I had high (but not unreasonable) expectations for the Horizon Club based on my experience at other clubs around the world, and sadly it just didn't measure up and justify the additional cost. Lesson learned; especially if this representative of other hotel clubs in Tokyo!

I may be back in Tokyo towards the end of the year; I'm definitely not going back to the PH, so maybe I'll give the Pen a try. Thoughts?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:00 am

I stayed at both PH and Peninsula Tokyo. I love Park Hyatt properties, but in Tokyo, I'd vote for Peninsula.

I had an amazing Park view from a Pen suite (don't remember which category). Decor is a bit grandma-ish at Pen, but PH's decor is a bit tired for me. I think actually the design of the regular guestroom is better than the suite's. Pen's location is phenomenal too. No need for a cab ride or shuttle to sample some great restaurants.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/propert...thehorizonclub
http://www.shangri-la.com/en/propert...orizonbenefits
37 club rooms

pen and FS marunouchi (57 rooms) are extremely well regarded here

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 3, 2011 at 8:14 am
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by wolf539
I may be back in Tokyo towards the end of the year; I'm definitely not going back to the PH, so maybe I'll give the Pen a try. Thoughts?
The Pen is a very nice hotel indeed, certainly one of the best in Tokyo. I personally prefer the Shang ( just slightly ) for the higher comfort factor and nicer views but the Pen is also a great choice. Even entry level rooms in Pen feature ensuite bathrooms, a full size walk-in closet and separate living area that will easily qualify as a Junior suite in any other hotels. If you want to go all the way, there is the expansive Deluxe Suites which I stayed before with full size living / dinning area and separate bedrooms. From time to time, Pen has promo for their Suites ( ie Suite life ) which you pay one night and get a complimentary night.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by wolf539
Glaringly absent was any real sushi or sashimi option? The Ritz-Carlton Marina del Ray does it better; I’m not kidding.
In Japan proper sushi is only eaten at sushi restaurants, or occasionally as part of a Kaiseki course at a traditional Japanese restaurant. It is very important that sushi be made to order and that it be eaten right away, so sushi and sashimi should ideally never be left out as part of a buffet or club lounge presentation.

The S-L's Japanese restaurant is part of the Nadaman group, and has an excellent sushi counter by hotel standards, so that is how to experience sushi at the Shangri-la. The food at both of the hotel's restaurants is superb.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Aug 3, 2011 at 11:30 am
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
In Japan proper sushi is only eaten at sushi restaurants, or occasionally as part of a Kaiseki course at a traditional Japanese restaurant.
Mike; thanks for the Sushi education! ^

However... Even without the Sushi I stick by my sub-par overall rating for the SL's Horizon Club food offerings, which apparently is not unique to them in Tokyo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.