Mandarin Oriental Riviera Maya Closed

Subscribe
Just saw that Mandarin Oriental Riviera Maya has closed. According to someone at www.hotelchatter.com they do not believe that the hotel will reopen with MO management.
Quote: Just saw that Mandarin Oriental Riviera Maya has closed. According to someone at www.hotelchatter.com they do not believe that the hotel will reopen with MO management.
Thanks zigzag,that's interesting. The M.O. website has this on now:

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/rivieramaya/
Is this property in the same area (or development) on the east coast of Mexico where the Banyan Tree property is located?
Quote: Is this property in the same area (or development) on the east coast of Mexico where the Banyan Tree property is located?
Yes, it's right next door to the Mayakoba complex in which the Banyan Tree and the Rosewood properties are ensconced.

This is fairly surprising news to me, but I have to say, I felt this Mandarin Oriental was a disappointment, particularly compared to the spectacular Rosewood right next door: very small, unappealing and cold pool, tiny beachfront, and awkwardly arranged property. Nice rooms, nice spa, nice food -- so it wasn't a disaster by any means. But it really didn't work well as a beach resort or a pool resort.
Quote: Yes, it's right next door to the Mayakoba complex in which the Banyan Tree and the Rosewood properties are ensconced.

This is fairly surprising news to me, but I have to say, I felt this Mandarin Oriental was a disappointment, particularly compared to the spectacular Rosewood right next door: very small, unappealing and cold pool, tiny beachfront, and awkwardly arranged property. Nice rooms, nice spa, nice food -- so it wasn't a disaster by any means. But it really didn't work well as a beach resort or a pool resort.
More disappointing than surprising to me. The financial crisis plus the general trouble in Mexico (though little trouble immediately near these properties) must be a real one-two punch combination for these properties. They've also not had much media coverage or advertising in the New York market at least.

I'm generally leary of travel to Mexico right now (though I know I'm making a broad conclusion, there are significant parts of the country not under government control at present), and the lack of seductive ads or "journalistic" coverage makes it easy to forget about these new properties.

Let's see what this gets re-flagged as...
Ever since the completion of the Rosewood and Banyan Tree, this resort has always needed to either:

A) Reduce rates by 50% or
B) Totally rebuild the place so that every room has a private plunge pool and also expand the size of that tiny thing they call a main pool by like 5X.

Obviously, B is impossible at this point and while A is possible, I can't imagine that the Mandarin group would agree to it. So, despite what is being said on the Mandarin website, it will clearly reopen as another (lesser) brand.

I don't understand why anyone would elect to go to the MO when they can go to the BT or Rosewood for about the same amount of money. No wonder the average occupancy rate of the place was under 20%.

Who knows, maybe it'll become an extension of that horrible Fairmont next door.
Maybe Park Hyatt or St. Regis will take over??
Quote: , I can't imagine that the Mandarin group would agree to it
Owners pay for capex, not management companies.

If there were a big upgrade, it would be for the account of the property owners, not MO.
Quote: Maybe Park Hyatt or St. Regis will take over??
Would be nice, but if xracer's assessment of the facilities are correct, and if ownership doesn't want to write another big check, perhaps it's less likely that another luxury brand moves in. It is less likely either of these brands would put up a flag if two other properties right next door are materially nicer. Perhaps this becomes relegated to a Westin or Hilton flag?

Recall the fate of the FS Grand Exuma...the math of that property didn't work...and it's now a dodgy all-inclusive (though I'm sure it's one of the nicest all-inclusives out there).

Something else to consider: If the place had been running at very low occupancy for some time, perhaps ownership stopped chasing it and the mortgage lender took the property back.

Anyone know who the equity is/was?
Quote: Owners pay for capex, not management companies.

If there were a big upgrade, it would be for the account of the property owners, not MO.
I was implying that the MO group would probably not agree to lowered rates, not that they would have to pay for the capital expenditure.
This place was at 10 percent occupancy when we visited in February. The news is sad but not surprising.
I got as far as booking this property, but never actually stayed. The rates just never made sense.
Quote: I got as far as booking this property, but never actually stayed. The rates just never made sense.
beachfront casitas from $1500 before cent 2nd nt free.
no cent confirmed upgrade to 3BR beachfront presidential?
Quote: Maybe Park Hyatt or St. Regis will take over??
Quote: It is less likely either of these brands would put up a flag if two other properties right next door are materially nicer. Perhaps this becomes relegated to a Westin or Hilton flag?
I think that Park Hyatt or St. Regis would be much more likely candidates- I can't see this property being flaged as something like a Westin or Hilton.

Park Hyatt or St. Regis would be lucky to gain an ex-Mandarin Oriental property IMO.
I have to think that all upper end Mexican properties are hurting and it has to be tough to face off against Banyan Tree and Rosewood.