Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gallivanter's Guide Forum

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:19 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Musken
If you follow her on Twitter, she often asks where the readers would like her to go, which hotels she should stay in etc.

For Thailand, she stayed in the new Siam in Bangkok, and went back to Chiang Mai where she stayed in many hotels, some of which (according to Twitter) was very changed since her last stay. I appreciate updated views like that.

For Bali, I understand (again from Twitter) that she will go to some new, smaller hotels, some hotels that have been refurbished/modernised since last time, in addition to cover the top hotels where she has not been in a while. Again I think this is great.

In between these trips, I understand (Twitter again) that she will be in Amanzoe, a new hotel that I am sure that many of her readers are waiting to hear about.
Of course you are "allowed" to have your view Namaguide, I just wanted to tell that others (me) might disagree and that there is a way (for example Twitter or an email to her) to influence her choices of where to stay that I am sure she will take into consideration if she feels that several of her readers are like you.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Musken
Of course you are "allowed" to have your view Namaguide, I just wanted to tell that others (me) might disagree and that there is a way (for example Twitter or an email to her) to influence her choices of where to stay that I am sure she will take into consideration if she feels that several of her readers are like you.
Hi Musken - different opinions are of course allowed!

However, I do not see how I should tell her where to go! It's a high-end traveller's travel issue. I want to read from her where I should go... clearly not the other way round! (it's just the same places all of the time...)
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Now, I don't know the economics of Gallivanters Guide. That is to say, I don't know if it is run to maximise profit, or if they are happy to run it at break-even in order to fund the travelling. (Running the newsletter allows them to offset all their travel costs against tax, for a start, which is a nice benefit!) We don't know if they pay for everything themselves, or if they are comped certain accommodation.

However, all said (and I say this as a perfectly happy 10-year long subscriber), they could cover more ground, geographically. It would not be impossible to cover two locations per month, one long-haul and one in Europe, for example. In all my years of reading it, for example, Venice has never been covered, although it was on the website at one point so must have cropped up once.

There are, fundamentally, two ways of running the newsletter content:

a) visit the latest high-profile luxury hotel openings, wherever they are (which is fundamentally the current model) or
b) visit the major tourist centres of the world and report on the best hotels to be found, even if the best is not world class (eg Venice)

I would prefer a greater mix of a) and b), whereas a) currently dominates.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
Now, I don't know the economics of Gallivanters Guide. That is to say, I don't know if it is run to maximise profit, or if they are happy to run it at break-even in order to fund the travelling. (Running the newsletter allows them to offset all their travel costs against tax, for a start, which is a nice benefit!) We don't know if they pay for everything themselves, or if they are comped certain accommodation.

However, all said (and I say this as a perfectly happy 10-year long subscriber), they could cover more ground, geographically. It would not be impossible to cover two locations per month, one long-haul and one in Europe, for example. In all my years of reading it, for example, Venice has never been covered, although it was on the website at one point so must have cropped up once.

There are, fundamentally, two ways of running the newsletter content:

a) visit the latest high-profile luxury hotel openings, wherever they are (which is fundamentally the current model) or
b) visit the major tourist centres of the world and report on the best hotels to be found, even if the best is not world class (eg Venice)

I would prefer a greater mix of a) and b), whereas a) currently dominates.
Spot on - Raffles thank you. I would prefer a greater mix of (a) and (b) too. And no more George V for at least another 5 years. We all love it and we go there but getting sick about reading about it all the time. It was mentioned at least baby 3-4 times that past 12 months or so..
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by namaguide
Spot on - Raffles thank you. I would prefer a greater mix of (a) and (b) too. And no more George V for at least another 5 years. We all love it and we go there but getting sick about reading about it all the time. It was mentioned at least baby 3-4 times that past 12 months or so..
And no more pictures of David's club sandwich for goodness sake... or Tod's for that matter.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:07 am

Nice job if you can get it - why didn't I think of it first . As they don't travel incognito and are well known I'm sure by all the high end hotels you can be sure that they get at least the best accommodation everywhere and the best service possible.
As someone who has never stayed at an Aman but has stayed at many other top end hotels and who doesn't go to a destination just to experience a certain hotel but goes there to experience that destination I would certainly be interested in b).
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:02 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
As they don't travel incognito and are well known I'm sure by all the high end hotels you can be sure that they get at least the best accommodation everywhere and the best service possible.
And therein lies my biggest issue with this publication: there is no anonymity. Lyn communicates where and when she is going ahead of time and it would not be difficult for any decent GM to figure this out and make sure that she gets the best service possible. Heck, I often see tweets from representatives of properties that she is going to review saying something like “we can’t wait to have you visit”.

Clearly, she is a well seasoned traveler, but I don’t see how one can actually trust her judgment on service – not because that judgment itself is suspect, but just because most properties would be on their ‘best behavior’ around her.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:12 am
Original Poster

I absolutely agree, this is true for all the Aman, FS and MO hotels probably not so much for the small independent ones.

We, all the subscribers, seem to fund the editor's travel lifestyle, well most of the times.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I absolutely agree, this is true for all the Aman, FS and MO hotels probably not so much for the small independent ones.

We, all the subscribers, seem to fund the editor's travel lifestyle, well most of the times.
You can't complain about that though! I would personally like to fund MORE of their travelling lifestyle
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:51 am
Original Poster

You can't complain about that though! I would personally like to fund MORE of their travelling lifestyle
Absolutely not - I am happy to pay them more but I want to see more. I am just so tired with the Sodashi/club sandwich/Tod's/FS/Aman, and the cycle of George V/Thailand/India/Bali.

Can we see/hear something new please!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:42 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xracer
And therein lies my biggest issue with this publication: there is no anonymity. Lyn communicates where and when she is going ahead of time and it would not be difficult for any decent GM to figure this out and make sure that she gets the best service possible. Heck, I often see tweets from representatives of properties that she is going to review saying something like “we can’t wait to have you visit”.

Clearly, she is a well seasoned traveler, but I don’t see how one can actually trust her judgment on service – not because that judgment itself is suspect, but just because most properties would be on their ‘best behavior’ around her.
But if they all do their best around her, it will still be differences, there will be some doing better than others. As "normal guests" we might receive not as perfect service as what she is receiving, but the ranking i still the same in my experience.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:20 pm

Absolutely not - I am happy to pay them more but I want to see more. I am just so tired with the Sodashi/club sandwich/Tod's/FS/Aman, and the cycle of George V/Thailand/India/Bali.

Can we see/hear something new please!
Sounds like you need to subscribe to a guide that covers all the Hiltons and similiar hotels namaguide as you are clearly disappointed with Gallivanters extensive coverage of Amanresorts, Four Seasons and every significant new opening
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Lyn and Dave DO NOT travel incognito. This seriously affects the treatment that they get and frankly, skews their opinions in unpredictable ways. City bumpkins such as I don't get the same treatment. I'm only a 2-year member and I'm just beginning to understand their likes and dislikes. More than once, I have found myself screaming at the text in disagreement. April'12 made me scream.

To be honest, I find Harper to be more accurate and insightful. I just find the reviews to be horribly outdated.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Lyn and Dave DO NOT travel incognito. This seriously affects the treatment that they get and frankly, skews their opinions in unpredictable ways. City bumpkins such as I don't get the same treatment. I'm only a 2-year member and I'm just beginning to understand their likes and dislikes. More than once, I have found myself screaming at the text in disagreement. April'12 made me scream.

To be honest, I find Harper to be more accurate and insightful. I just find the reviews to be horribly outdated.
Harper and their people are fine for North America in my opinion after that they have a limited appeal. Nothing like the worldwide coverage and detail of Gallivanters.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I find Harper to be more accurate and insightful. I just find the reviews to be horribly outdated.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post13616824
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post18278085

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 6, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.