Reload this Page >

Seasttle 4 seasons does not respect the do not disturb sign

Seasttle 4 seasons does not respect the do not disturb sign

Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime gold, starwood fanatic
Originally Posted by ABG
Oh the horror!
I take its that a big batch of unnecessary sarcasm?

Spend a fortune to stay in a very nice hotel for three days
woke up early every morning by loud slamming doors from the stairwell and guests next to us.
house keeping disturbs our day with a phone call about cleaning our room while to do not disturb sign is out

I send an email pointing out the noise and the phone call
Hotel makes us a offer to come back for two days
still have slamming doors and our room is right next to the stair well
House keeping call our room while we are not there and the do not disturb sign is out then they enter the room to clean it with the do not disturb sign out.
Now I get to dispute a charge on my card.

I would not expect this from a OK hotel better yet the Four Seasons. A very unenjoyable weekend followed by a hassle.

sarcasm not enjoyed
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:38 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
You stayed 3 nights..... complained about the doors.... got 2 free nights..... stayed again.... did you expect them to change the doors prior to your arrival?.....since they did not do that you've now got a new issue to complain about......the dreaded DND situation which you will now complain to corporate about to see what else you can get not to mention the $78.00 which could very well have been a legit charge.... .but instead of calling them..... you'll take the time to post about it in a public forum?

To me this whole thread is full of sound and fury signifying nothing. This easily could have been titled "FS Seattle never cleaned my room..... their lame excuse was I had the DND on, but seriously, come on, why would I leave it on all day especially while I was out at lunch! Obviously I left it on by mistake and they didn't care!"

Last edited by ABG; Mar 22, 2011 at 12:54 pm
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Dirk1609
At this point four seasons seattle has been a total nightmare
Originally Posted by ABG
Oh the horror!
sarcasm not enjoyed
Grab some perspective. Right now I expect most residents of Christchurch, Sendai, Fukushima, Tripoli, Benghazi, etc. would trade their total nightmare for yours. Oh, my, God, slamming doors and relentless maid service. Help me.

Why you are seething over trivia like this on Flyertalk instead of picking up the phone and talking to the general manager (as someone upthread said, at Four Seasons they are very accessible to guests) is beyond me.

As for your complaints about your free stay, I think the same response is in order as the baseball fan got when he complained he couldn't see the right field corner from his comped seat. OK, but how'd you like the price?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the bottom line is FS is well regarded here in terms of service recovery.

perhaps the stairway doors are louder than room doors. and/or some rooms have less soundproofing. and/or just a difference in soundproofing standards. there has been discussion on that more recently.

if hotel knew guest was out of DND room, it might be somewhat different, but voicemail suggests otherwise. and the first time it seems they were in the room >
house keeping called our room during the day when the do not disturb sign was out to see if we needed anything
OTOH, perhaps it can be good to discuss DND with hotel before using it. especially in situations like >
Originally Posted by nba1017
I sleep from around 5am until 2pm

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the bottom line is FS is well regarded here in terms of service recovery.

perhaps the stairway doors are louder than room doors, and/or some rooms have less soundproofing.

if hotel knew guest was out of DND room, it might be somewhat different, but voicemail suggests otherwise. and the first time it seems they were in the room >

OTOH, perhaps it can be good to discuss DND with hotel before using it. especially in situations like >
I think the DND is a valid service issue, and the OP is right to be annoyed by it, regardless of the rate paid. I'm at a mid-level Ritz right now on a free night, but that would have no bearing on my complaints if the service suffered. However, the baseball analogy is correct. The first room I was shown was next to the elevator. Not the best thing in the world, but, you get what you pay for. (For the record, I paid $100 and got an upgrade to a club suite, not a bad deal...).

The structural concern over the doors is something he experienced the first time, and isn't something that's going to change overnight. If you don't like it, then don't stay there again.

Additionally, the $78 charge, while a bit annoying, could be a legitimate charge, and isn't really that big of a deal.

Finally, of all the hotel chains in the world, Four Seasons has always been, in my experience, wonderful at resolving this sort of situation for guests who take the time to call or write a letter with their concerns. You won't rectify the situation by discussing it on here.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Who said anything about seething?
For the record there were NO charges made and that would be why I am frustrated by it. Im not a child, i know what happens at the hotel when im there. We charged NOTHING, no bill at check out at all.
These analogies are way out there. With given examples we all have no right what so ever wasting a single moment on these boards with all of the terrible events happening right now. Put down that keyboard and quit your job so you can dig wells where people don't have water. The analogies about Japan are ridiculous. I guess all high priced hotels have a great excuse for lowering there service standards during this terrible event. Odd since I don't recall getting the Japan tragedy discount. I guess I will wait until all of these issues are taken care of before I spend my hard earned cash on another hotel say.
Weird folks on here. I guess Ill end this here.
The two or three of you that posted negative comments on here should do a flyer talk search and find everyone that is unhappy with something that they paid good money for right now, then berate them. Do your best to make them feel guilty because there luxury stays fly in the face of all those suffering in Japan right now.

Last edited by Dirk1609; Mar 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:13 pm

First, that bill. Contact your credit card issuer and ask for the detailed billing. If that doesn't give you an idea what the bill was for (valet parking comes to mind as a possible additional fee), contact the Four Seasons directly and ask for a copy of your updated folio. If a bill was added after checkout they should be able to scare that up for you.

I'm really surprised you've had two problems with the Four Seasons Seattle. When friends come to visit that's their preferred hotel since it opened, and I've never heard negatives.

Second, the best way I've ever found to stop DND problems is to call the desk and request housekeeping while I'm in the room. I usually travel with a pet domestically, and the last thing I want is my cat (or dog) getting out in a high-rise hotel in the midst of a city. ANY animal can get out of a crate or an ex-pen. Most cats won't come to a stranger. Loose kitty=poof!

If you know you're on a different city's schedule, making the same desk call can get you some more sleep when you want it. Ask what time housekeeping starts daily WHEN YOU CHECK IN. If they start at 6AM and your internal alarm says 'sleep now,' ask if you can be first on the list. You're done working and are ready for bed. Usually, all I want are extra linens (especially washcloths and hand towels), and creamer/tea for the in-room bev maker. I don't need vacuuming. I don't want the air freshener. And I'm not a pig to totally destroy the bathroom and tub if it isn't cleaned every morning. What I want usually takes less than three minutes for a housekeeper to hand over, he/she keys the door to 'done' and we're all happy. Sleeping through the other rooms being cleaned and various people checking in and out all day (and the attendant noise) will still be a problem, but at least your door shouldn't be opened.

Hotels do have electronic means to tell if your room has been cleaned (it's part of the electronic lock system); if it shows not done after a certain time, the management often takes it to be the housekeeper's fault. To avoid this, many maids do ignore the DNDs. They don't want to have too many warnings, or they're afraid they'll lose their jobs!

I played do-si-do with an overzealous housekeeper at an Embassy Suites 18 years ago, and she finally told me about the door lock thing. Now that I call the desk and politely request my room be done only when I'm present and-could-you-please-get-to-me-soon-or early-or... now?, I no longer have to go about calling 'kitty,kitty' in the stairwells.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Something good has come of this

From Ben Trodd, Seattle four Seasons manager

"The request to not have your room disturbed when you had indicated this preference was indeed noted on your original email to me however in following our policy (as Dora communicated to you), we clearly went against your wishes as spelt out. With immediate effect we have now changed this policy and guest requests to not be disturbed will be observed. "

Thats a positive move for a near perfect hotel
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"The request to not have your room disturbed when you had indicated this preference was indeed noted on your original email to me however in following our policy (as Dora communicated to you), we clearly went against your wishes as spelt out. With immediate effect we have now changed this policy and guest requests to not be disturbed will be observed. "
"The charge to your room for parking was indeed an error caused by a lack of attention to detail upon your check-out. I believe you were correctly informed that you had no charges to settle at the front desk as you left us, and this was how your billing was set up. However a subsequent step was not followed and the charge was levied - this has been removed from your credit card immediately, and some remedial training conducted. "

^

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 24, 2011 at 2:34 pm
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Something good has come of this

Thats a positive move for a near perfect hotel
So what about your $78 charge? Since you've communicated with the hotel as per your message above, I assume you included the charge issue? Since you neglected to address the outcome of that issue, should we assume it was legitimate?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

As I stated before, I knew the charge was not correct so I didnt bother to update. Just for the unbeleivers

"The charge to your room for parking was indeed an error caused by a lack of attention to detail upon your check-out. I believe you were correctly informed that you had no charges to settle at the front desk as you left us, and this was how your billing was set up. However a subsequent step was not followed and the charge was levied - this has been removed from your credit card immediately, and some remedial training conducted. "

Last edited by Dirk1609; Mar 24, 2011 at 2:20 pm
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:24 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Just for the unbeleivers
"
No one ever said they did not believe you about the mistake charge. .. I just found you wanted to attack this hotel in a public way. It wasn't a balanced review since you already knew about the dreaded doors but took the hotel for their freebie no problem. Its all about balance to me.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ABG
No one ever said they did not believe you about the mistake charge.
>
Originally Posted by DillMan
So what about your $78 charge? Since you've communicated with the hotel as per your message above, I assume you included the charge issue? Since you neglected to address the outcome of that issue, should we assume it was legitimate?
Originally Posted by ABG
How is that statement from Dillman an accusation of non-belief? He asked a question, which was a very fair one

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 24, 2011 at 8:57 pm
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:38 pm
ABG

How is that statement from Dillman an accusation of non-belief? He asked a question, which was a very fair one
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Were did I state that I was accusing anyone of anything? Mellow out folks. A great deal of conslusions get jumped to VERY quickly on flyertalk.

Last edited by Dirk1609; Mar 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.